Monday was possibly the most stressful day that we have had in a while and the only thing that made the day bearable was the jokes and comments that my kids were telling me through out the day, and the funny comments that they were making about how it could be worse and their ideas of how things could have been better.
We got hubby’s car back from the shop on Monday night (read why we fixed hubby’s car instead of buying a new one) from the shop. Then Tuesday he was leaving work and the car died in the parking lot at work (which is about 2 hours from our house with the rush hour traffic) he got it jumped and then started driving and the car died again less then half a mile down the road from his work and he had to push it up a hill into a gas station parking lot (thankfully there were some very nice people who helped him out) and he called me to tell me the car died. I called the shop who fixed it and they said to bring it to them and the would fix it for free, awesome sounds great. I thought this will be easy we have AAA so I can get it towed to them, I was wrong I called AAA and they refused to tow his car unless I drove to where he was. So I called the shop that had fixed his car to find out what they wanted me to do. They contacted a tow company to go and get his car, the tow company told us at 3:30 that they were leaving to go get the car . Then the car shop told me to rent a car so that we had one for hubby to drive while they fixed his(they would cover the cost), so I called around looking for a place that could rent me a car on a short notice, found one who told me they would stay open until I got there and I loaded the kids up into the van with no shoes on and had a friend follow me so I could leave them in the car while I ran in the rental shop since they were closing in 20 minutes. So my plan was to rent the car, get the keys and pick it up later. I got to the rental place only to find out that I did not have my credit card on me and the hubby had it so I could not rent a car and could not go back the next day because well it was the 4th of July and they were closed. I called hubby to let him know that I was unable to rent a car and he told me that I needed to go pick him up because the tow truck just called to say they were leaving to come get the car in a little bit (which they are near me so it was going to take them quite a bit of time to get to him) and he had been standing outside in the heat for 2 hours and if I could go get him. So off the kids and I went to get hubby, with 3 kids telling me they had to go potty about half way there and of course none of them had shoes on because i was only supposed to be renting a car, getting the keys and going back home and I was not about to bring all 3 kids in barefoot into some dirty bathroom at a fastfood joint I told them to wait. Of course since the day could not go anymore wrong or so I thought I got lost (it was only my second time driving to hubby’s work) so instead of beating the tow truck there I got there after the tow truck had left and hubby’s cell phone was dead so he couldn’t call me to tell me to just go back home so he waited for me to get there. Then we got to hubby’s work where he took all 3 barefooted kids into his office building to use the bathroom, none of which matched at all because we were all planning on having a “lazy day at home” which turned out to be an adventure.
Our whole adventure was stressful and crazy that day which lead to some hilarious comments from my kids which even with everything going on I could not help but to laugh at the things they were saying.
My 7 year old:
- I could always sit on a diaper (I have size 1s in the trunk for a friend of mine) and got potty.
- I wish they made cars with toilets in them
- We can play who can hold it the longest
- Daddy’s work people think we are cute, We can’t help it that we are cute kids its how we are
- Daddy it could have been worse, you could have had your car break down on the highway far far away and then you would have had to hold your thumb out or jump up and down for someone to help you
- You should have wished that it would rain and then you would not have been so hot and sweaty.
My 5 year old son:
- I can just use a bottle mom, you know I AM a boy!
- If I sing songs I can forget that I have to go
- If we hop on one foot in a dirty bathroom then only 1 of our feet will touch the gross floor
- It ok Daddy I still love you even though you are going to take the van to work and we will be stuck in the house when you go to work.
- Thanks for letting me use your work bathroom, make sure you tell your boss it is much cleaner then McDonald’s bathroom
- Daddy maybe you should bring a spare car with you to work just in case yours breaks down again
And the whole time my older 2 are making jokes and silly comments and their thought process on how things could have been better for hubby as he was stuck standing outside in 95 degree weather for over 2 hours while my 2.5 year old was singing Jingle Bells!
Kids really do have a way of making an awful day so much brighter with the comments and actions:)