I hear you laughing as you read the title and I will say when I read the title of the article The 10 Minute Tidy- How to Make Kids Like Cleaning” I was laughing too because while right now we do not have the battle we used to with the kids and cleaning I remember when we did! It was my mom who told me “make cleaning fun and you have won 1/2 the battle” In our house one of our biggest battles was with my 7 year old and keeping her room clean, it has been a battle for as long as I can remember, no matter what I have used be it bribery, chore chart, taking toys away ect it always ends up the same way again after a few days…. a disaster zone that looks like a tornado went threw and ripped everything out of the drawers and off the shelves.Now if her room is a disaster during the day I don’t worry about it but we make sure it is clean before bedtime 🙂
So I came across this article from Learn Vest, they had 3 tips to helping get kids want to clean:
- Music- Play music while cleaning
- Give them a Job they love
- Make it convenient
They are so right, and as crazy as it sounds it really does work and make it a lot easier! We changed how we looked at cleaning the house a few months ago and it has made life a whole lot easier and after reading this article I thought I would share with you a few things that we do to get my house clean with out a fight from the kids.
- Have them bring their stuff to their own rooms from anywhere in the house and make it a game, see who can do it the fastest.
- Rotate who helps with what, if one night one helps with cleaning up the table after dinner the next night I will have them help with putting laundry into the washer.
- Ask the kids what they like to do – yes I know this sounds crazy and sounds like as a parent I am giving into them and not making them do things I want them to do but if I give them a few things that they like to do and 1 that they don’t there is no complaining about the 1 thing they dislike doing.
- When doing things like cleaning the floor giving each of my kids 2 rags and having them “race across the kitchen floor” is a great fun and easy way for it to get done! Is it perfect? Of course not but with 3 kids a house is never going to be “perfect” and it is something fun for them
- Let the toys do the cleaning- My kids toys partake in the cleaning, there are times when Barbie will be making my daughters bed or Iron Man is putting the legos away which works for us all, they are having fun and the chores are being done.
- Getting rid of the laundry baskets, I know that sounds crazy but they ended up empty with the dirty laundry on the floor and the baskets being used as toy houses, or a mountain that Ironman was climbing, so we changed it to keep a laundry pile in the master bedroom. As much as I dislike the laundry pile in the bathroom it saves a lot of time and arguing for people to pick up their dirty laundry. Now they automatically put it in the bathroom with out being asked.
- My youngest who is 2 loves helping me cook and if while we are cooking I ask her for help like putting her toys away I let her help with one thing and then she goes and puts a toy or 2 away and then comes back and we repeat it. Breaking it up with something fun that she enjoys also helps with her doing what she needs to do.
- Letting them organize how their toys are, So I may just be crazy for this one but in reality who cares if the barbies are in the pink box or the purple one? All that matters is that they are together and neat and tidy so I gave up on having them keep things where I would want them. I wanted all the action figures on the shelf in my sons room, but he likes them in the toy box and with them being kept where he likes them he puts them away with out even being asked:)
What are some of the things that you do to make cleaning the house fun for the kids?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here