Essentials for Traveling with Kids
When it comes to traveling with kids, you can be overwhelmed with deciding what to pack. It is important to take the age of the child into consideration before knowing what to pack. Another thing that has to be taken into consideration is the destination. If you are traveling to an area that has inclement weather conditions, you will also have to pack outerwear as well. The following list will help you to pack a suitcase for your kids.
Travel Essentials for Kids
1. A Change of Clothing per Day– A rule of thumb when traveling with kids is to pack one change of clothing per day, and two extra shirts. Choose dark colors as well as patterned clothing, as these will not show the dirt or stains as quick as white clothing. Avoid taking white colored clothing if you can. Pack sleepwear for your child, up to 3 items and do not forget sweatpants as these are great to slip on if you have to head out early in the morning. Do not forget to take along 5 pairs of socks, and a change of shoes.
2. Cosmetic Bag– Pack a cosmetic bag full of stuff that is used by and for your kids. Infant drops, children’s Tylenol, nose drops, earplugs, nose plugs, eye drops, Electrolyte, Band-Aids, sunscreen, cotton balls, and baby oil. Also, anything else that you normally would administer to your child in case of accident or illness.
3. Baby Essentials– If you happen to be traveling with an infant, of course, you should take as many baby essentials as possible. Diapers, wipes, creams, shampoos, powder, bottles, pacifiers, formula, bottle warmer, and a diaper bag are needed essentials. Plan to take a baby carrier, such as a sling and a lightweight stroller.
4. Laundry Detergent– Take along some powdered laundry detergent in zip lock bags. You will probably have to do some laundry while you are there. A few empty zip lock bags should be taken as you may find a use for them while on your trip. I also like the travel size ones that you can get for really cheap and sometimes free with coupons. The free sample ones you can sign up for online are also great to hold on to for traveling.
5. Entertainment– Take a couple of reading books for each child. They can be read when you are stuck in the hotel and at bedtime. This will help the child relax and wind down after a long day. Take along a couple of small stuffed toys per child. This will help them to feel safe and secure, knowing that they have some familiar belongings in a strange place.
6. Snacks – bring plenty of snacks. I like to bring special treats that they do not normally get at home like fruit snacks and the chocolate covered granola bars too. I bring their favorites from home as well. Don’t forget to also bring juice boxes if you are traveling in the car. It not only will save you money instead of having to buy a drink every time you stop but you will be able to stop less because you have it with you.
The above essentials list for traveling with kids will help to make your child(ren) enjoy themselves on the trip. Remember to pack any of their favorite electronic games, and most hotels have Wi-Fi and an internet connection. Knowing what to pack will help to relieve your stress, and using this list will make sure that you have the essentials covered.