Today is the day!! The day that Strange Magic is in theaters!! The movie is awesome and perfect for families but I am going to give you some behind the scenes information for before you go in and think that it is eh, ok because the behind the scenes information really helps with understanding the movie.
This movie is a musical and on purpose, George Lucas made this movie because he wanted to have fun and you can tell that he had a ton of fun making the movie.
The music is purposely from different genres and time periods and music that George Lucas enjoys.
The movie took 15 years to make and was started during the time George Lucas was working on the Star Wars movies.
The Star Wars movies were made with 12 year old boys in mind (even though it turned out to be loved by all) and Strange Magic was made for 12 year old girls to fall in love with.
Everyone wants love in their life, and this movie does a great job of having a love story that is not shoved in your face and the two who fall in love are not what you think of as your “typical”couple and is a great life lesson when it comes to teaching kids not to judge a book or a person by what is on the outside.
For me the movie started a bit slow but once it got going my gosh I was laughing and wanting to sing 😀 However this could be because I saw none of the trailers recently and I had not read much on this movie because things have been so busy that I knew it looked cute (easily seen by the characters) but other then cute characters and being made by George Lucas when I went to the screening I did not know much about it. However I hope these tips help you for your trip to the movie 🙂
And now for the 10 reasons you need to add Strange Magic to your weekend plans
10 Reasons to Add Seeing Strange Magic to your Weekend Plans
10. It is made by George Lucas. And if you know his movies at all you know you can tell he puts his heart into anything that has his name on it.
9. The animation. 15 years in the making is no joke and the animation is amazing, the characters are so detailed and the art is amazing.
8. It is an animated musical, If you love animated movies or you love musicals this one will be your cup of tea. “Strange Magic” weaves together new versions of favorite songs from the last six decades—including songs made famous by artists ranging from Mickey & Sylvia and Elvis Presley to Kelly Clarkson, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga.
7. Strong female lead character. The character Marianne is a princes and at the beginning of the movie she is getting ready to marry a “prince” who turns out not to be the man she thought he was and so she goes on this anti-love crusade and becomes a sword fighting chick who “is never going to love again”.
6. The ugly one wins. When I say ugly I am talking on the outside, the character Bog King is seriously an ugly bug! (And no I am not dissing the art, George Lucas himself said he wanted to make the Bog King as ugly as possible!) but with the ugly one winning this story shows everyone that you don’t judge someone based on what you see on the outside.
5. You will want to sing! You are going to know the words of the songs and you are going to want to belt them out! If I was in the theater with you I’d say go for it but I am not sure how other’s might take loud singing 😉
4. The Bog King’s Mom. Seriously hilarious character, one who lives in the “Dark world” where love is a no no, who wants her son to find love. Seriously you are going to love her!
3. Sunny The Elf… yes there is an elf and he is crazy short and really I think he would fit right in at my house and on the MidgetMomma team!
2. That girl who loves all the boys, and then gets a potion and well that is all I can say with out giving it away 😉
1. Perfect for families, while George Lucas says its for girls (and I heard him say that with my own 2 ears) I took Logan with me to the screening and he loved it! So we both agree that everyone girl, boy, young or old(er) will enjoy this fun, musical animated movie with awesome characters!
And I will leave you with what Logan said after the screening when I asked him how he liked the movie:
“That movie was strange, funny and weird. Just the way I like it!” – Logan