As parents of furry family members it is important that we have their best interest in mind when we are picking a food for them. The choices are endless, many brands to pick from, wet food, dry food, a combination of both? The decisions are vital for our pets and we have to make the choices and make sure we are well informed when making those choices.
12 Tips for feeding your Dog
- If you are switching food it is easy. To start feeding your dog, each day feed more of the new brand and less of your previous food until you’re feeding the new brand exclusively. A gradual transition over 7 to 10 days will help keep their system happy.
- A healthy weight on your dog shows like an hourglass figure. Do an Overhead Check by looking top down on your dog. You should be able to see a waist behind their ribs. If not, might be time to adjust feeding amounts and exercise.
- Whether you feed once or twice a day, make sure you do it at the same time every day. Dogs like structure, and look forward to mealtime.
- Don’t forget a measuring cup. When dishing out your dog’s food, use a measuring cup for making sure you’re sizing meals that suit your dog.
- Is your dog a picky eater? Feeding wet food at room temperature can help with palatability and is especially important for older dogs that may experience diminishing sense of taste and smell.
- Is your dog a healthy weight? Give ‘em a Rib Check. Put your thumbs on your dog’s backbone and spread both hands across his body. You should be able to feel his ribs. If not, might be time for a doggy diet.
- What’s your dog’s best side? His profile can tell you about his health. You want to see an abdomen that is tucked up behind the rib cage.
- Most human food doesn’t provide the complete and balanced nutrition dogs need. That’s why table scraps are not recommended and should be avoided
- As dogs age, their senses of smell and taste can fade a little, along with their ability to chew effectively. Feeding wet dog food is an excellent choice that’s easy to chew and digest, even easier on the teeth and can encourage a healthy appetite
- Dietary supplements are typically not required when feeding nutritionally complete and balanced food like ALPO.
- Treats are a great way to help train your dog or simply reward him with a pleasant surprise. Just remember that treats should make up no more than 10% of a dog’s daily caloric intake, and mealtime portions should be reduced accordingly to maintain balance.
ALPO Wet Food
Happy starts with a healthy dog and ALPO Wet Food found at Sam’s Club gives your pooch all the quality ingredients needed for an active lifestyle.
- The daily nutrients your dog needs
- High quality protein sources
- Essential vitamins and minerals
- Ingredients sources from supplies that meet Purina’s standard for safety
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Lunchbox. All opinions are 100% my own.