It seems as if Hurricane Irene is coming closer and that means there is a high chance of the power being out (and possibly for an extended period of time) Here is a list of things to have on hand to occupy your children and a list of frugal fun activities to do while the power is out.
Things to have on hand to entertain the kids:
- Books- If you do not have a collection at home head to the library and get some new ones to read to your kids or have them read
- Coloring books
- Crayons/markers/colored pencils- all of these are dirt cheap right now with back to school. Make sure you also have a non electric pencil sharpener to sharpen your colored pencils
- copy paper- my kids love this stuff! They can draw what ever they want to
- Playdough- and you can get creative and let them use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes!
- Electronics like Battery powered Portable DVD players and Handheld game systems
- Board Games-make sure to pull them all out
- Toys that were put away for Christmas(if after too long just head in to your toy stash and pull out a few new toys)
- Make sock puppets- you can get things like eyes and fluffy puff balls and let kids decorate the socks and do a puppet show
- Build tents and have a “camp out” -taking the dining room table chairs and using blankets to make a tent and then read stories in the tent
- Use the white copy paper and art supplies to make a book about your adventure, Have your child draw the pictures and you write the words.
- Play Hide and Seek
- Find plain colored shirts and use markers to decorate them
- Make paper dolls- Draw dolls on the copy paper and have the kids cut them out, you can also draw outfits and let the kids design the dolls outfits
- Have a treasure hunt, hide small things like candy and then everyone go on a hunt through the house looking for the treasure
- cuddle up and have story time