I was sent a Rainy Day SOS kit and it was just in time, while we did not have rain we did have insanely HOT weather, that with our van not having working AC right now means we are stuck in the house (which for me and the kids means coming up with creative ideas for keeping us all from losing our minds). I would be lying if I were to say I was not just as excited (ok maybe even more excited then the kids were). There is only so much playdoh, barbies, kitchen, diner, action figures, attack of the action figure, coloring, and crazy sill songs and dancing that 4 people can handle in a few short days when it is to hot to even walk out the door, let alone try and go anywhere in the van that has no AC and this was even after they spent almost a whole week up at my parents house (after our family reunion they begged me to let them stay because grandma has a pool). So when we opened the box to find ur SOS kit stocked with, movies, movie snacks, a deck of cards, a blanket and some fun ideas to try with the kiddos it was a very welcomed box in our house. Sadly during our fun I never pulled out the camera and we took down the tent before I got a chance to take a picture, but tent making is one of my kids all time favorite things to do and I had forgotten just how much fun it truly is.
Here is a picture of the kids last year in their tent.
Of course the movies were perfect for curing the “hot weather blues” that we were all having because we were stuck in the house after we had been wearing the playdoh thin and the stockpile of printer paper had been just about disintegrated. I am looking forward to our fun activity tomorrow of making home made playdoh (I am hoping that making it our selves adds a bit more fun to the normal play-doh routine)
Make Your Own Crafting Dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cream of tarter
- food coloring
- mix flour, salt and cream of tarter in a bowl, Add the oil and water and knead by hand or with a dough hook in a stand mixer until the dough is soft and workable
- Make a split in the dough by hand and add a few drops of food coloring. Fold the dough making the color go through the dough. (divide the dough into several balls to make it so you can make different colors)
- When you are done playing, store the dough in an air tight container. If it begins to dry out just add a few drops of water.
Of course I am sure many of you are in the same boat I am looking for something fun to do with the kids that is different from the daily nitty gritty. Well you are in luck, Phase 4 Films and Redbox have teamed up to bring new movies that are perfect for the kids in the Redbox! (Of course that makes them really budget family because you can rent a movie for only $1.20 at the Redbox!). There will be 8 new DVDs for you to watch with your kids at the RedBox:
- I Heart Shakey
- Space Dogs
- My Friend Benard
- Freddy Frogface
- Donkey X
The great prizes that you can win are:
- Round Trip tickets for 4 to Toronto for the chance to secure a walk-on role on Nick Jr’s Dino Dan show
- A 4 day West Coast Princess Cruise for 4 with round trip airfare
- 7 Day vacation for 4 to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida
Disclaimer: I was provided a Family Fun pack filled with movies, snack and activities to share this information with you.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here