I admit it, I really strongly dislike early morning wake ups, always have for as long as I can remember and my kids are kinda the same way. When they wake up in the morning they would rather come snuggle in my bed and go back to sleep for an hour or so instead of getting up (I mean I can’t complain it is nice snuggling with them in the mornings) but that also means we do have some challanges for getting out the door early in the morning for things like school. After a few years of this school thing I have found that there are quite a few things that make our mornings run smoother that I thought I would share with you.
- Pick out the clothes the night before– this is mostly important when it comes to my oldest daughter who is like me and will change her outfit multiple times before picking “the perfect one”. In the morning when time is not a free for all this can cause a huge set back, so at night we pick out our clothing and if it means a few outfit changes it is ok because we have time to spare.
- Pack lunches the night before– saves a lot of time in the morning, you can also check out my posts on How to Make Packed Lunch Fun For Kids and Tips for Making Your Kid’s Packed Lunch Easier
- Put everything into the backpacks at night and put them on the couch by the door – even if your couch is not by the door putting them in the same spot each night ready to go for the morning saves time and the hassle of making sure everything is in the backpack that needs to be.
- Put shoes by the door – sounds simple and easy and it drives my husband crazy at time with all the kids shoes by the door but it sure beats having to hunt them down in the morning.
- Set clothing and diapers for younger kids out – even if they are not going to school getting them dressed and ready to go is needed and hunting for their stuff takes time away from morning needs
- Pick out what is for breakfast the night before – If you are having cereal set the bowls, spoons and box of cereal on the table the night before, then all you have to do is pour it into the bowl add some milk and breakfast is done. If you are doing a hot breakfast like eggs have the pan and nonstick spray ready to go and the plates out, then you just have to get your stuff out of the fridge, make it and feed the kiddos. You can also make it easier by making things like Once A Month Cooking : Making Pancakes and Freezing them so you have them readily available and can just pull them out of the freezer and heat them up in the microwave.
If you have any tips on making mornings run smoother leave them in the comments below 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here