If you have never been to a braodway show in New York City I highly reccommend doing so! I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway while I was in New York on the Disney/Dream Works War Horse event and it was amazing (review to come soon). We also got to go on a tour of the Amsterdam Theater and it is beautiful and the tour was a ton of fun!
Some fun facts about the Amsterdam Theater:
- It was built between 1901-1903 and is one of 2 oldest theaters on Broadway
- The Theater opened on October 26, 1903 with the first show being Midsummer Nights Dream
- The first big hit in the theater was Ziegfield Follies which stayed until 1927
- During the great depression the theater was turned into a movie house and because people complained that it was to light in the theater the entire place way painted in a dark brown paint. The brown paint ended up being a good thing since it ended up preserving the theater
- In the Mid 1980’s the theater was shut down and when they went into renovate it in the 1990’s there was a tree growing in the orchestra pit, mushrooms growing every where and even animals living inside.
- 42nd street was not always a place that you would want to be, many of the theaters used to show XXX movies and it was a bad area. With the renovations of the theater it brought a new feel to 42nd street making it what it is today.
- The Elevator doors are the original doors from when the theater was built in the 1900’s.
Part of our Tour was The Disney Theatrical History, a room filled with Disney movies that were brought to Broadway. This room was a TON of fun as we were able to touch and try just about everything!