Looking for a new potato salad recipe? This Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Recipe is the perfect side dish to any summer meal. It’s creamy, filling and flavorful! The combination of avocados and potatoes make this salad extra rich and satisfying as well as vegan.
Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Recipe
There are few things better than a light and creamy potato salad on a hot summer day. The dish is also perfect for an easy weeknight dinner, or as the side to your favorite sandwich. And what’s not to love about all of that creaminess?
This recipe makes enough for a small crowd, so it’s perfect for potlucks, picnics, barbecues and more! The best part is that there isn’t any mayonnaise involved- instead we rely on avocado in order to give this dish its signature texture and flavor. Plus you don’t have to worry about making sure it’s kept cold until needed – because these ingredients can be made ahead of time!
Why Make This Avocado Potato Salad
Summer is here and in making an effort to not load up my potato salad with mayo like normal I am trying new things to use instead. Some of them have been a BIG miss and some of them have turned out totally awesome! As I try new combinations of potato salad the ones that turn out great I will be sharing here on the blog so make sure you check back often to find more potato salad recipes 🙂
This creamy Avocado Potato Salad is easy to make, and not much more effort then using mayo when using the avocado instead!
I brought this Creamy Avocado Potato Salad with us to my parents house for our Memorial Day get together and everyone loved it! My dad is not normally a fan of recipes that take the mayo out of potato salad but he enjoyed this one
What Kind of Potatoes Should I Use
I made this creamy avocado potato salad with russet potatoes. You could also try using red, white or Yukon gold potatoes- just be sure to dice them into small cubes so they will cook up nice and tender. Each type of potato will give a different flavor.
Do I Have to Leave the Potato Skin On?
It’s up to you! I like to leave the skin on my potato cubes for an extra boost of nutrients and fiber, but if that doesn’t matter to you than feel free to peel your potatoes before cooking.
You can also remove the skins after cooking the potatoes if you wanted to. In that case you need to score the potato all the way to the center so that the peel will come easily. Then you will want to make sure to cool the potatoes quickly in an ice bath. The skin will come off with rubbing your thumb along the skin.
Will the Avocado Sauce Brown?
Avocado sauce won’t brown quickly, however it will begin to discolor once you add the lemon juice. That’s why you need to make sure that the sauce is served right away or place it in an airtight container and store it in a refrigerator until needed.
What Kind of Avocados Should I Use for This Recipe?
This recipe will work best with Hass avocados. Choose avocados that are ripe but not overripe- they should still be a little firm when you buy them.
What Type of Lemon Should I Use?
You can use either lemon juice or lime juice for this Avocado Potato Salad Recipe . If you do choose to use lime juice keep in mind that not many people prefer the taste of lemon-lime potato salad.
What is the Best Onion to Use in Avocado Potato Salad ?
I used sweet yellow onion for this creamy avocados potato salad. You can use white or even red onions depending on your flavor preference.
What Other Veggies Can I Add to Potato Salad?
Try adding some celery, carrots, and even green peas. I prefer my potato salad without the extra veggies, but you can certainly add in whatever ones you like.
How Long Will This Avocado Potato Salad Keep?
This Creamy Avocado Potato Salad is best served right away! However, when you store it in the refrigerator, it will last for about 3 days. Keep it in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve it again, be sure to stir it up well again.
Can it be Made in Advance
If you need to make it ahead of time be sure to prepare the sauce without the lemon juice. Once you are ready to serve, then stir in the lemon and taste before adding more salt if needed. You can also add a touch of water to get it back to that creamy consistency as well.
What Goes Well With Avocado Potato Salad
Avocado potato salad is perfect as a side dish for any barbecue or picnic event. It pairs well with any type of meat but you can also try adding it to a sandwich for lunch. It is even great as an appetizer. Some of my favorite picnic recipes that go with this salad are Chicken Salad with Apples, Easy Layered Taco Dip and of course you need a good drink recipes so I recommend Pink Watermelon Lemonade.
Tips & Tricks on Making Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Recipe:
– You can make the sauce ahead of time but be sure to keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
– You can also cook the potatoes ahead of time and store them in cold water in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
– If you do decide to peel your potatoes be careful not to let them soak up too much water as they will become soggy.
– Make sure to use a ripe but still firm avocado. The avocados should just give slightly when you press gently into the skin.
– Be sure to serve this creamy avocados potato salad right away or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Ingredients
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (however red potatoes I think would work great too)
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 small onion diced small
- 2 green onions
- dash of cayenne pepper
Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Directions:
Get a large pot and fill with water, wash potatoes and then add to water. Bring to a boil and boil for 15-20 minutes. (until potatoes are soft enough to stab a knife thru them). Once they are done, drain water from them and let them cool. You can speed up the cooling time by putting them in the fridge or running cold water over them. You want them cool before adding your other ingredients.
Dice your small onion into small pieces and set aside.
Then using your food processor (a blender will work too) deskin and remove the seed from the avocados and place into food processor. Blend until smooth consistency. Add in garlic powder, cilantro, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and blend till mixed well.
Once potatoes are cool, slice them into bite size pieces and put into a large bowl.
Then add in avocado mix and onions and mix well.
Top with diced green onions.
Creamy Avocado Potato Salad Recipe
- Get a large pot and fill with water, wash potatoes and then add to water. Bring to a boil and boil for 15-20 minutes. (until potatoes are soft enough to stab a knife thru them). Once they are done, drain water from them and let them cool. You can speed up the cooling time by putting them in the fridge or running cold water over them. You want them cool before adding your other ingredients.
- Dice your small onion into small pieces and set aside.
- Then using your food processor (a blender will work too) deskin and remove the seed from the avocados and place into food processor. Blend until smooth consistency. Add in garlic powder, cilantro, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and blend till mixed well.
- Once potatoes are cool, slice them into bite size pieces and put into a large bowl.
- Then add in avocado mix and onions and mix well.
- Top with diced green onions.
Leave A Reply!