How to Save Money on Car Rentals
When traveling by plane, the cost of renting a car can be rather expensive, especially if it is for a business trip that is not covered by the company that you work for. Renting a car for a pleasure trip can also take a large toll on your holiday budget. These tips on how to save on the cost of car rental may help to save you some money.
Cost Saving Tips for Renting a Car
1. Take the Rental Car from the Airport- You can save a fair amount of money by taking the rental care from the airport as opposed to picking it up within the city. You will incur a one-way rental charge by taking the rental from the airport as opposed to picking it up in the city and then returning it to the car rental place in the same city. This help you to avoid the double charge.
2. Drive at a Comfortable Speed- Driving within the speed limit will help you to save money on the amount of gas that is used. Rapid breaking and acceleration wastes a lot of gas. In fact, speeding will burn 33% more gas. Anything over 60 mph will burn gas at a faster rate. The rate is 5% more per mile over this speed.
3. Choose an Appropriate Vehicle- Choose an economy car if possible. The smaller the car, the lesser amount of gas it will take to get to and from your destination. You can also ask them if they will give you a mini van at a discounted rate- most people do not want the minivans because they cost so much more but if you tell them you will take a minivan at the same price as the regular car if that is all they have chances are they might take you up on your offer because it will leave a car for them to rent and most people don’t want the vans.
4. Rent on the Weekday- If at all possible, choose to rent a car on the weekday, rather than the weekend. Weekday car rental rates are much cheaper than the weekend.
5. Chose to Rent a Car in Small Cities- If you have the opportunity to rent a car in the smaller cities, do so as it is relatively cheaper compared to the rates in a large city.
6. Buy Gas at Reduced Prices-Look for service stations that offer gas at reduced prices. This way you will be able to save some money on traveling expenses. Check online to see where the cheapest gas rate is in the city in which you are visiting or residing in.
Utilizing these tips while renting a car will help to save you some money. Shop around to see which car rental offers you the better deal for your dollars. It is important that you choose a reputable car rental company that has vehicles that are reliable and in working order.
Places to find money saving deals on car rentals:
Thrifty Rent a car
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.