There is nothing more satisfying than a dish that tastes delicious and makes you feel good. Baked Stuffed cabbage rolls are just that kind of dish! They take some time to prepare, but the hands-on work is minimal. Stuffed cabbage rolls can be made in advance and frozen for later use, so they make great leftovers or freezer meals.
Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Baked stuffed cabbage rolls are an easy to make dinner that is loaded with veggies. Tender cabbage stuffed with ground beef and veggies, this dish is an all in one meal if you want it to be.
To make life easier I like to make meals that can be good for a meal and then also good for sticking in the freezer. This baked cabbage rolls recipe can be made right away or you can freeze the cabbage rolls to be used later. I have included the directions for making them right away and how to freeze cabbage rolls to use later.
What Meat is best for Cabbage Rolls?
That is one of the greatest things about cabbage rolls, you can use just about any ground meat that you have on hand and they will taste amazing! We have used ground pork, ground venison and ground turkey in place of the ground beef in this recipe over the years and every time they come out perfect.
What sauce is best for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
The one thing I like about making stuffed cabbage rolls is that I can use just about any pasta sauce when making them. If I have leftover homemade spaghetti sauce I use that, if I have homemade marinara sauce I use that. I have even used some of my creamy tomato sauce when making stuffed cabbage rolls in the crockpot.
If I have jarred sauce on hand then I use that, but I always make sure if I am using a jarred sauce that it is not a plain sauce. You want one that has flavors and seasonings in it.
What to serve with Stuffed Cabbage rolls
We serve crockpot cabbage rolls with bread and a salad most of the time. Sometimes we change things up and have pasta with butter, mashed potatoes, or other veggies as our side dishes.
Can I freeze Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
Yes! If you are meal planning and want to make freezer meal cabbage rolls it is super easy!
How to Freeze Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Bake the cabbage rolls according to the recipe. Then remove from oven and let cool completely.
Once cool place on to a new baking sheet (spray it with nonstick spray) and put them in the freezer for 2-3 hours. until they are frozen.
Once frozen remove from the tray and put into freezer bags. Pus as many into 1 freezer bag as you need for a meal for your house.
How to Cook Frozen Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Use a glass baking pan, spray with non stick spray and pour a small amount of sauce from a jar of pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan.
Place frozen cabbage rolls in the pan and top with the remainder of the pasta sauce.
Baked at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups rice (brown or white) cooked
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 large zucchini (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 24 ounces jarred tomato sauce. I use a sauce that has flavors in it so I don’t have to worry about seasonings.
- 1 can Firie roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Directions
Add water to a large pot and bring to a boil. While bringing the water to a boil, wash the cabbage and remove the cabbage leaves off the head of the cabbage.
When water is boiling add cabbage leaves.
Boil cabbage leaves until they are pliable (but not fully cooked) remove them from the water and place on a plate. Should take 3-5 minutes.
While cabbage is boiling, cook 1 1/2 cup of rice. You can use white rice or brown rice and cook according to the package directions.
Wash and chop the zucchini and chop the onion.
Once the ground beef is cooked, remove from the heat drain and stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix it well.
In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped zuchinni, diced onion, cooked rice, ground beef and mix well to combine.
Spoon the meat mixture into the cabbage leaf and wrap well. Continue until the cabbage leaves and meat mixture is used up.
Spray a large baking dish with non stick spray and preheat the oven to 350.
Pour a little pasta sauce on the bottom of the dish.
As you finish each wrap place them in the baking pan. and then top with the rest of the sauce and parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Easy Dinner Recipes
- Tuna Melt Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef and cabbage
- Lasagna stuffed peppers
- Slow Cooker Stuffed cabbage rolls
Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Add water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- While brining the water to a boil, wash the cabbage and remove the cabbage leaves off head of cabbage.
- When water is boiling add in cabbage leaves.
- Boil cabbage leaves until they are pliable (but not fully cooked) remove them from the water and place on a plate. Should take 3-5 minutes.
- While cabbage is boiling, cook 1 1/2 cup of rice. You can use white rice or brown rice and cook according to the package directions.
- Wash and chop the zucchini and chop the onion and set aside.e
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet until cooked, stirring regularly. Once the ground beef is cooked, remove from the heat drain and stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix it well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped zuchinni, diced onion, cooked rice, ground beef and mix well to combine.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the cabbage leaf and wrap well.
- Spray a large baking dish with non stick spray and preheat the oven to 350.
- Pour a little pasta sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- As you finish each wrap place them in the baking pan then top with the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minute.