Chicken tortilla soup is a beloved comfort food, perfect for cooler days or when you’re craving a flavorful and filling meal. This easy chicken tortilla soup recipe has just a few minutes of prep and then only 25 minutes of cook time!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This easy chicken tortilla soup is a family favorite because it is so easy to make. All you have to do is dump the ingredients into the pot and then let it cook on the stove. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
During the colder months, I like to make soup for dinner. Our winter months are always busy so dinner has to be quick and easy. This chicken tortilla soup recipe has about 5 minutes of prep time and then 25 minutes of cook time. That makes dinner done in under 30 minutes which is perfect for a busy night.
Nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of chicken tortilla soup on a chilly night. Packed with veggies, seasoned with spices, and overflowing with flavorful broth, this satisfying Mexican tortilla soup with chicken is sure to be an instant favorite. It’s quick enough for weeknight meals yet fancy enough for guests. Perfect for pleasing the whole family.
- Chicken and mushroom soup
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- French Onion Soup Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
What Is Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican dish that consists of broth, chicken, tomatoes, and spices. It’s often topped with crispy tortilla strips and freshly shredded cheese for extra flavor. While there are many variations on this classic recipe, the base of most recipes remains the same: roasted chicken, flavorful broth, and vegetables.
I wanted to make this an easy dump and go soup recipe so instead of worrying about spices like garlic, salt, cumin, and chili pepper I have used a can of enchilada sauce.
What Is the Best Way to Serve Chicken Tortilla Soup?
This soup recipe is perfect for customizing to any personal preferences you have just like with tacos. In our house, some people like certain things in their soup and others don’t so my solution is to make the basic soup recipe and add the tortilla strips before I put the pot out for serving. I then prep toppings so everyone can make it their own customized soup recipe.
The best way to serve chicken tortilla soup is with a few simple toppings. Crispy tortilla strips and freshly shredded cheese are essential for added flavor.
For additional toppings, we always have chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sliced radishes, sour cream, avocado chunks, and shredded cheddar cheese.
After adding your toppings into the bowl of soup, mix them in so you have added flavors in every bite.
What pairs well with Chicken Tortilla soup?
Cornbread. Cornbread or corn muffins can be a delightful accompaniment to chicken tortilla soup. The slightly sweet and crumbly texture of cornbread provides a nice contrast to the savory soup.
Salad: A light and refreshing salad can balance out the heartiness of the soup. Consider a simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette or a Mexican-inspired salad with ingredients like avocado, black beans, corn, and tomatoes.
Tortilla chips and Guacamole. Chips and guacamole pairs wonderfully with chicken tortilla soup. The creamy and tangy flavors of guacamole complement the spices in the soup.
Tortilla chips and Salsa. Chips and salsa or pico de gallo adds a burst of fresh flavors to the meal. The vibrant combination of tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and spices complements the soup’s taste.
How to Store Chicken Tortilla Soup
Allow the soup to cool down to room temperature before storing. Use airtight containers or zipclose bags. Pour the soup into the container or zipclose bag. Ensure the containers are tightly sealed to prevent air and moisture from entering. If using bags, remove excess air and seal them securely.
Chicken tortilla soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can Chicken Tortilla Soup be Frozen?
Yes! You can freeze chicken tortilla soup and it can be done in individual servings or in larger portions.
If you want to freeze homemade soup allow the soup to cool completely. Pour the soup into freezer-safe bag or containers and seal lightly, remove the air from the bags if using bags. If you are using freezer bags lay them flat when freezing to make for easier storage. Most homemade soup recipes will keep in the freezer for 6 months.
To reheat the frozen homemade soup, place the bag or container in the fridge overnight to thaw. Then reheat in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth. You can also use homemade chicken broth.
- 1 19-ounce can of red enchilada sauce. You can also use homemade enchilada sauce for this soup recipe.
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, not drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can of corn, drained
- 1 15.5 ounce can of black beans
- 3 Cups of cooked chicken. I use a rotisserie chicken but you can use cooked chicken breasts if you want to but you will want to have shredded chicken.
- 1 cup Tortilla chip strips
- Top with your preferred toppings.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
In a large pot add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes with chilis, black beans, and corn. Mix well and then heat over high heat on the stove for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium heat to simmer and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Once the soup is done cooking add in the tortilla chip strips and stir.
Garnish with the toppings of your choice. If you are adding limes, squeeze the lime juice into the soup just before eating.
Do I need to use a rotisserie chicken?
No. If you would like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts you can. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs. You will need to cook them ahead of time and will need 3 cups of cooked chicken.
How do I cook Chicken Easily?
If you are going to use cooked chicken breasts instead of rotisserie chicken there are a few ways that you can cook it. There are a few different ways that you can cook chicken. When you are going to shred the chicken, use the shredding chicken trick that makes it super easy or with 2 forks in a large bowl.
- Boil chicken. Just add raw chicken breasts to a pot and cover with 3 cups of chicken broth or water whichever you prefer. Heat on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bake chicken. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray place the chicken breast on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Then bake for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
Is This Soup Spicy?
This soup has a tiny kick to it, from the diced tomatoes with green chilis. If you want less spice, use a 14.5-ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes. If you want to make it spicier you can add some diced jalapeno peppers or additional green chilies.
Can I add more spices to this soup?
Yes. If you are wanting to add more heat to the soup you can add some chili powder and cumin.
What Else Can I add to this soup?
If you are wanting to thicken up the soup you can add additional ingredients including pinto beans, diced green bell peppers, and diced onions. You can also add an extra can of the black beans and corn if you want to.
Can I Use Frozen Corn Instead of Canned
Yes, absolutely! Frozen corn is a great substitution for canned in this recipe. Simply thaw the frozen corn before adding it to the soup. If you prefer a sweeter flavor, use white or yellow sweetcorn instead of regular corn.
Can It Be Made in the Slow Cooker
Yes! This recipe can easily be made in a slow cooker. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, set it on low heat, and let it cook for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
Easy Chicken Recipes
- White Chicken Enchiladas
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Thai Peanut Sauce Noodles with Chicken Recipe
- Baked Salsa Chicken
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 19- ounce can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 14.5- ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chiles not drained
- 1 14.5- ounce can of corn drained
- 1 15.5 ounce can of black beans
- 3 Cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup Tortilla chip strips
- In a large pot add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes with chilis, black beans and corn. Mix well and then heat over high heat on the stove for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium heat to simmer and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once the soup is done cooking add in the tortilla chip strips and stir.
- Garnish with the toppings of your choice. If you are add limes, squeeze the lime juice into the soup just before eating.