If you are looking for a comforting meal that is easy to make then you are going to love this Creamy Chicken and mushroom soup recipe. This creamy chicken and vegetable soup recipe is hearty, and delicious while being easy to make. Make it a complete meal by pairing this creamy chicken soup with a fresh salad and fresh bread.
Chicken and Mushroom Soup Recipe
Soup is a great way to warm up during the winter, but it can be hard to make something that’s both healthy and delicious. This creamy chicken soup is easy to make, made with simple ingredients, and perfect for dinner. You can also make this chicken soup ahead of time, freeze it and then reheat it to serve later.
During the winter months, soup is one of my favorite things to make and enjoy for dinner. A hot bowl of soup with a fresh salad and crusty bread is the perfect meal to warm up with on a cold winter day.
One important thing for me is that soup is healthy along with being delicious. Many times the soup is full of flavor while not being the healthiest, this creamy soup is made with fresh chicken and fresh veggies including carrots, onions, and mushrooms making a soup that is not only tasty but healthy too.
Easy Soup Recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Stuffed pepper soup
- Fresh Tomato Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crockpot Taco Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Lentil soup with ham
What to Serve with Homemade Soup
Crusty bread. Any crusty bread that you love makes a great addition to the meal, plus it is so tasty when you dip bread into the soup. You can grab fresh bread at the store or you can make homemade bread or biscuits to serve.
Salad. A simple green salad is perfect also, add your favorite veggies and your favorite dressing, and you are done. If you are looking for specific recipes and ideas for things that go well with Split pea soup, check out some of our favorites.
Variations of this recipe
Add rice. If you want to add rice then you can cook the rice while the soup is being made and then add it to the soup when the soup is done. If doing so I suggest making about 2 cups of rice for the whole soup. You can use white rice, wild rice, or brown rice.
Change up the mushrooms. I like using white mushrooms but you can also use shiitake mushrooms or baby Bella mushrooms.
Make it creamier. I like using half and half but if you want it creamier then you can use heavy cream instead.
What Kind of Chicken is Best
I use a combination of chicken when I make this soup. I like to use leftover chicken or use rotisserie chicken. I strip the chicken and cut it into pieces and then add it to the soup. You can use all chicken breast or chicken thighs, whatever you like in the chicken.
How to Cook Chicken
You are going to need already cooked chicken for this creamy chicken mushroom soup recipe, there are a few different ways to cook the chicken. Use whichever method you prefer.
You can boil the chicken. Just add raw chicken breasts to a pot and cover with 3 cups of chicken broth or water whichever you prefer. Heat on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
You can bake the chicken. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray place the chicken breast on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Then bake for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
You can use a Rotisserie chicken. If you want things easier you can grab a cooked rotisserie chicken at the store or cook one at home.
Can I Make this soup Ahead of time?
If you want to make this soup ahead of time, you can definitely do that. Just let the cooked soup and then store it in the refrigerator for up to three days before reheating and serving. You can also freeze this soup to enjoy later.
Can the Chicken and Mushroom Soup Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Let the cooked soup cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag and freezing.
How to Reheat homemade soup
When ready to enjoy the chicken and mushroom soup again, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat this creamy mushroom soup in the microwave.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- butter. I prefer to use salted butter, but you can use unsalted, you may want to add extra salt to the soup at serving if using unsalted butter.
- Garlic Cloves. I prefer to use fresh garlic but jarred minced garlic will also work
- Baby carrots. You can also use regular sized carrots cut into pieces.
- White mushrooms. I like white mushrooms but you can also use other varieties.
- Large white onion. Dice into small pieces, I find it is best with smaller pieces of onion over larger onion pieces in the soup.
- Cooked diced chicken. You will need to have cooked chicken before getting started making the soup, use your preferred way of cooking chicken.
- chicken broth. Homemade chicken broth or store bought will work for this recipe.
- half and half. If you want the soup creamier you can use heavy cream instead.
How to make Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Cook chicken by your preferred method and then chop it into pieces.
Wash and chop the mushrooms and carrots. Dice the onion and set all of the veggies aside until you need them.
In a large stockpot or large soup pot, over medium-high heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter is melted add in the parsley, garlic, sliced mushrooms, diced carrots, and diced onions, and cook until tender. The carrots will still be crunchy when the other items are tender and that is ok.
Add in the 5 cups of diced chicken and 5 cups of chicken broth and turn the heat to high. Stir well and then cover with a glass lid until the soup mixture is boiling.
Once boiling continues the boiling until the carrots are tender. Once the carrots are tender add in the half and half and then bring to a boil again.
Once boiling again add salt and pepper to taste and then serve as desired.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- In a large stockpot on medium heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter is melted add in the parsley, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and onions and cook until tender. – carrots will still be crunchy when the other items are tender and that is ok.
- Add in 5 cups diced chicken and 5 cups of chicken broth and turn heat to high. Stir well and then cover with a glass lid until brought to a boil.
- Once boiling continue the boiling until the carrots are tender. Once they are tender add in the half and half and then bring to a boil again. Once boiling again add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with breadsticks and salad.