If you are looking for the BEST French Onion Soup Recipe then you are going to fall in love at first bite with this delicious french onion soup! Not to toot my own horn here, but this seriously is the Best French Onion Soup Recipe ever!
Best French Onion Soup
You may be wondering how I have gotten this french onion soup recipe to be perfect. Well, I had been working on perfecting it for a long time because french onion soup has a special meaning to me. I remember being a little kid and getting to go out to a nice restaurant with my parents and I had french onion soup. I thought it was just so fancy! It seems like a french onion soup Recipe would be a hard one to make but it is quite simple. This recipe for french onion soup reminds me of going to the fancy restaurants with my parents when I was a child.
French Onion Soup Recipe
This french onion soup tastes just like you are sitting in a fancy restaurant and even better it is a super easy french onion soup recipe! Of course this is an easy french onion soup, we don’t ever like to make things complicated around here. 🙂 I am sure you are going to absolutely love this easy french onion soup recipe!
If you are worried about french onion soup cheese there are a few options. Personally I love the taste of Gruyere cheese on my french onion soup. However if you can’t find it, you can use provolone cheese instead of the Gruyere Cheese when making this French Onion Soup. It will still taste amazing, I promise!
When eating homemade french onion soup I like to use a fancy soup bowl or Ramekin to put my soup in. You can use a regular soup bowl with no issues as well.
How to Make French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup Recipe
- Thinly slice all of the onions. Heat your soup pot on high on the stove. Once it is hot add the oil.
- Once the oil starts to smoke add your onions. Cook the onions until they are wilted down and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Do not stir the onions for the first 4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine. (this means just pour your wine in, for those who are not always masterminds in the kitchen 🙂 )
- Next add the beef broth, bay leaf, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes. Butter one side of the bread slices and broil over low heat, allowing bread to brown and become crispy.
- Ladle the soup into your bowl or ramekin.
- Place crispy bread on top, and then sprinkle generously with grated cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
3 SmartPoints per serving on Weight Watchers FreeStyle Plan for SOUP without cheese or bread
Looking for more soup recipes? Check these out!
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crockpot Veggie Soup
- Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here