Roasted Red Pepper, Mushroom, and Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich is any easy gourmet grilled cheese that is one of our favorites. Provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, and sautéed mushrooms combine for an amazing flavorful grilled cheese.
Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese is such an easy meal to make for lunch or dinner on a busy day. However as much as I love a traditional grilled cheese we like to get fancy in our house and change things up.
This Provolone grilled cheese sandwich is loaded with sautéed mushrooms and roasted red peppers for a mushroom grilled cheese that is going to wow everyone. It takes the traditional grilled cheese you love so much and makes it a restaurant style sandwich right at home!
Easy Grilled Cheese Recipes
- Spinach Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese roll ups
- Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Rainbow Grilled Cheese
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What is the Best Bread for Provolone Grilled Cheese?
I personally love the flavor combination of sourdough bread with this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. However if you do not have that on hand you can use white bread, wheat bread, or any bread that doesn’t crumble easily to make this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
Grilled cheese with butter or grilled cheese with mayo?
One of my best kept secrets for making amazing grilled cheese with a crispy outside is to use mayo on the side of the bread that will be touching the pan. Mayo has a higher smoke point then butter, so while you are letting your grilled cheese cook it’s way to toasty golden brown you won’t end up with a burnt grilled cheese!
Yes I know you might think that is totally crazy, but I am telling you using mayo instead of butter when making a grilled cheese will give you the best grilled cheese of your life. If you are still set on using butter, you can however make sure the butter is at room temperature or you are using a spreadable butter.
Variaitons of this recipe
Change up the cheese. If you are not a fan of provolone cheese this recipe will also taste great with mozzarella cheese or swiss cheese.
Add more veggies. You can also add sundried tomatoes, olives and arugula to this provolone grilled cheese.
Tips for Making the Best Grilled Cheese
Spread Mayo to edges of bread. You will get the best golden brown color when you are covering the whole piece of bread.
Cook on medium low heat. It might be tempting to turn up the heat to make things go faster, however you do not want to cook grilled cheese on anything higher then medium low heat.
Be Patient. It might be tempting to speed things up a bit, but doing so will end up with cheese that is not properly melted and bread that gets burnt.
What to serve with Provolone Grilled Cheese
Our go to for serving grilled cheese of all types is a salad and soup. There is just something amazing that happens when you enjoy a homemade grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of your favorite soup and a fresh salad.
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- homemade potato chips
- Garlic Parmesan Potato Chips
- Sea Salt and Pepper potato chips
- Fruit Salad
- Fresh Fruit
- Chickpea Pasta Salad
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Salad
Roasted Red Pepper Provolone Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- sliced mushrooms
- roasted red peppers – Jarred Roasted peppers or Homemade Roasted peppers will work.
- Provolone cheese – If you are not a fan of provolone this mushroom grilled cheese works great with Swiss cheese as well!
- sliced sourdough bread
How to Make Provolone Cheese Grilled Cheese
Over medium low heat in a pan add the butter and let it melt.
Once melted, add mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and saute on medium heat until mushrooms are soft and cooked all the way through, then set aside.
Spread mayo lightly on one side of each slice of sourdough bread.
Place bread mayo side down in the pan. Add 1 slice of provolone cheese, the mushroom pepper mixture and then another slice of provolone cheese and then the second piece of bread mayo side up.
Cook for about 5 minutes, check carefully to see that the bottom piece of bread is getting golden brown. Once golden brown flip the sandwich and cook the second side until golden brown.
Once the second side is golden brown remove from the heat. Allow the grilled cheese to cool for 2 minutes and enjoy.
Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Best Reuben Sandwich
- Egg Salad Recipe
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Meatball Grinder
Roasted Red Pepper Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup roasted red peppers Jarred or Homemade Roasted peppers will work.
- 16 slices Provolone cheese
- 8 slices sliced sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Over medium low heat in a pan add the butter and let it melt.
- Once melted, add mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and saute on medium heat until mushrooms are soft and cooked all the way through, then set aside.
- Spread mayo lightly on one side of each slice of sourdough bread.
- Place bread mayo side down in the pan. Add 1 slices of provolone cheese, 1/4 of the mushroom pepper mixture and then another slice of provolone cheese and then the second piece of bread mayo side up.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, check carefully to see that the bottom piece of bread is getting golden brown. Once golden brown flip the sandwich and cook the second side until golden brown.
- Once the second side is golden brown remove from the heat. Allow the grilled cheese to cool for 2 minutes and enjoy.
15 Weight Watchers SmartPoints on the Freestyle program.
Leave A Reply!