An easy weeknight chicken recipe that is full of flavor is what you get with this honey mustard chicken recipe. Made with simple ingredients that you probably already have, this simple yet delicious skillet chicken recipe is one of our favorite recipes.
Honey Mustard Chicken Breast Recipe
This Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe is perfect for a delicious and easy chicken recipe. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients, and it’s so flavorful and juicy. The chicken is coated in a sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce, and it’s baked to perfection. Serve it over rice or quinoa, or enjoy it as is. Your family will love this dish!
This honey mustard chicken breast recipe is perfect for any night of the week. The ingredients are simple and it only takes about 30 minutes to make. Plus, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. The whole family is sure to love this easy weeknight chicken recipe!
This one pan meal is such an easy dinner recipe that has juicy chicken and a sweet and tangy creamy honey mustard sauce. When it comes to an easy meal that tastes like a million bucks, honey mustard chicken breast for the win. Plus it is made in one pan which makes dinner clean up super easy!
Chicken is a go to for us because it is so versatile. There are so many chicken dinner recipes that can be made and totally change up the flavor of the chicken. On busy weeknights this family favorite recipe is one that I love making and so does my family. This easy honey mustard chicken recipe is a simple recipe that has simple ingredients and then a veggie and a simple side salad for side dishes make it a complete meal.
- Olive Garden chicken pasta
- White Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken enchiladas with red sauce
- Honey garlic chicken
- Firecracker chicken
- Cheddar Ranch Chicken
Can I Use Chicken Thighs
You can substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breast. A lot of people enjoy chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. You want to make sure the thighs are boneless and skinless. The cook time will change when cooking the honey mustard chicken thighs, so be sure to watch it carefully so it doesn’t get overdone or underdone.
Should I Cook the Chicken Covered
I am making this in a skillet and I am not covering the pan. If you prefer, you can cover the pan between cooking each side.
How to tell when chicken is done cooking
The easiest way to make sure you have juicy cooked chicken is to check it with a meat thermometer. You want to cook the chicken breasts until they reach 165 degrees in the thickest part of the chicken breast.
Variations and Substitutions to Honey Mustard Chicken
- Swap chicken breast for chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins. I will say that this recipe is better with white meat over dark meat chicken.
- You can use half and half to lighten the cream instead of using heavy cream.
- You can replace the honey with maple syrup for a twist on the flavors if you do not have honey on hand.
- Use whole grain mustard. If you do not have any dijon mustard you can substitute it for whole grain mustard or spicy brown mustard.
How to Store Honey Mustard Chicken
This chicken recipe can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to four days.
Can I freeze this recipe?
If the chicken will not be eaten before the 4 days, it can also be frozen. Freeze the honey mustard chicken for up to 6 months.
How to freeze for meal planning
Place the cooked chicken and the sauce into a freezer bag or airtight container and remove as much air as possible. If using a container, place a piece of plastic over the chicken and honey mustard sauce. This helps to prevent freezer burn.
How to reheat frozen chicken
Thaw the honey mustard chicken overnight in the refrigerator, or reheat in a skillet.
How to serve Honey Mustard Chicken
We serve this chicken as the main dish and all of us enjoy pouring extra sauce on top of our chicken. If we have rice as a side, my kids love adding the creamy sauce on top of their rice.
Sides to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
There are so many delicious sides that go well with this honey mustard chicken. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Roasted potatoes. These crispy smashed potatoes are perfection by themselves, so when you pair them with this chicken, you have a meal that everyone will ask for seconds.
- Mashed potatoes. These sour cream mashed potatoes can be served alongside the mustard chicken or serve the chicken directly over top of the mashed potatoes.
- Green beans or roasted asparagus. Both of these green vegetable recipes taste great and are special on their own. They make a perfect companion to the chicken.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts. People think they do not like brussels sprouts but they haven’t had these.
- Carrots. We love honey roasted carrots.
- Quinoa or rice. These grains will taste great with your meal. I love adding garlic rice to my chicken. Garlic rice, oven baked rice or parmesan rice are great options!
- Zoodles or pasta. Adding pasta is always an easy side dish. If you are trying to reduce the carbs in your meal or add in more veggies, zoodles are great.
Honey Mustard Chicken Ingredients
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 pounds of chicken)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup flour for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken
Prepare the chicken by cutting it in half lengthwise so you have 4 smaller cutlets.
In a bowl mix, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Add the flour to a plate.
Sprinkle each piece of chicken with garlic powder and salt & pepper and then coat them in the flour coating both sides.
in a large skillet over medium-high melt butter and add the olive oil.
Once the pan is hot and the butter melted, add the chicken and cook them for 4-5 minutes per side until they’re golden brown. If the oil starts to splatter, reduce the heat a bit. Once the chicken is browned, take it out of the pan and set it aside.
Adjust the heat to medium low and add the rest of the butter, the chicken broth, Dijon mustard, and the honey.
Stir the sauce until the mustard has dissolved (make sure the liquid doesn’t reduce completely turn down heat if needed).
Add the cream. Once the sauce is bubbling again, add the chicken back in.
Let it cook for 5 minutes and the sauce is reduced to your liking.
Serve by placing the chicken on a plate and then topping with the creamy honey mustard sauce.
One Pot Recipes
- One pot chicken alfredo
- One Pan Chicken and veggies
- Chicken and Mushrooms
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- One pot Beef stroganoff
Honey Mustard Chicken
- Prepare the chicken by cutting it in half lengthwise so you have 4 smaller cutlets.
- In a bowl mix, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the flour to a plate.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with garlic powder and salt & pepper and then coat them in the flour coating both sides.
- in a large skillet over medium-high melt butter and add the olive oil.
- Once the pan is hot and the butter melted, add the chicken and cook them for 4-5 minutes per side until they’re golden brown. If the oil starts to splatter, reduce the heat a bit. Once the chicken is browned, take it out of the pan and set it aside.
- Adjust the heat to medium low and add the rest of the butter, the chicken broth, Dijon mustard, and the honey.
- Stir the sauce until the mustard has dissolved (make sure the liquid doesn’t reduce completely turn down heat if needed).
- Add the cream. Once the sauce is bubbling again, add the chicken back in. Let it cook for 5 minutes and the sauce is reduced to your liking.
- Serve by placing the chicken on a plate and then topping with the creamy honey mustard sauce.