Tender thin sliced potatoes with a cheesy creamy sauce baked in the oven is one of the best combinations and this Creamy Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese doesn’t disappoint at all! Easy enough to make for a weeknight meal but delicious enough for a holiday or special occasion!
Scalloped potatoes with cheese
This scalloped potatoes with cheese are the perfect comfort food. It’s creamy and cheesy, with a crispy top that’s sure to satisfy your cravings. These potatoes are the perfect addition to any meal. Made with cheddar cheese and Colby jack cheese and thinly sliced potatoes, these scalloped potatoes are creamy, flavorful, and sure to please everyone at the table.
This scalloped potatoes with cheese recipe is the perfect side dish for any meal. It’s creamy, cheesy, and oh-so flavorful. Plus, it’s super easy to make. Simply layer thinly sliced potatoes with cheese and cream, then bake until golden brown and bubbly. It pairs well with most recipes, so this is going to become a recipe that you use often. You really do not need a special occasion to make this easy potatoes au gratin recipe.
For holidays we always have this cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe as a side dish. It is easy to make and goes perfect with the Thanksgiving turkey and the Christmas and Easter Ham that we always make as the main dish. However, this recipe is so easy that you can enjoy it for a regular night meal and not just a holiday dinner.
If you are looking for an impressive side dish that is super easy to make look no further than this easy scalloped potatoes recipe! This classic side dish has tender potatoes in a creamy cheesy sauce that goes with many main course recipes.
Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
- Cheesy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Parmesan Asparagus
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Green beans with bacon
- Garlic Roasted Carrots
What is the Difference between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes
Scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes are often used interchangeable however, they are slightly different. Scalloped potatoes, even when they are made with cheese, have the cheese spread over top. Au gratin potatoes have a cheese sauce mixed in. Also, au gratin potatoes are often made with bread crumbs over the top.
What are the best potatoes for scalloped potatoes?
When it comes to scalloped potatoes, you want to use a starchy potato. This will help the potatoes to cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the dish. I like to use russet potatoes, but Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes would also work well.
The Easiest Way to Cut Potatoes for Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
The best way to thinly slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes is to use a mandoline. This kitchen tool will help you to get perfectly thin, even slices of potato. If you don’t have a mandoline, you can also use a sharp knife to carefully slice the potatoes thin.
Can I Make These Potatoes Ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these scalloped potatoes ahead of time.
How to Store Leftovers
You will want to cover them tightly with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you are ready to bake them, remove the plastic wrap and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking. You can also store these cheesy potatoes in an airtight container.
Tips For Making the Best Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
- Use a starchy potato like a russet, Yukon gold potatoes, or red potatoes to get the very best results.
- Be sure to cut your potatoes evenly so they are all the same size and will cook at the same time.
- Use fresh cheese for the best flavor and consistency.
- Use a mandoline slicer for an easy way to have evenly sliced potatoes.
Add meat. I like to add bacon or ham to the potatoes for a delicious twist. If you have left over ham this is one of the perfect dishes to make with it.
Change the cheese. I am using cheddar and Colby jack for my scalloped potatoes but you can also use different types of cheese like mozzarella cheese, fontina, gruyere or gouda. You can also use just cheddar or use pepper jack instead of Colby if you want.
Add kale or baby spinach to give these potatoes even more flavor. This is also an easy way to add veggies into dinner. The creamy cheese sauce can help those people, like kids, who do not love vegetables, enjoy their greens.
Try using sweet potatoes. Using half sweet potatoes can change the flavor and nutritional values of the dish. It is a fun way to change this up for winter.
Make it gluten free. If you want to make the scalloped potatoes gluten free, you can replace the flour with cornstarch. You can also use a gluten free flour.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Ingredients
- butter. You want to use salted butter. If you are using unsalted butter you may want to add a bit more salt.
- flour. All purpose flour is best to be used, but you can also use whole wheat flour or gluten free flour.
- milk. Whole milk, 2% milk, and 1% milk will work. If you want a super creamy sauce then you can use half milk and half heavy cream.
- Seasonings. Dry mustard, salt, black pepper are the spices you will need.
- A-1 steak sauce. Just a bit gives the perfect addition for flavor, if you are not a fan of A-1 don’t worry you can’t taste it specifically.
- Medium sized potatoes potatoes. I prefer to use russet potatoes but you can use yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes.
- Cheese. I use sharp cheddar & colby jack cheese but you can change up the cheese that you are using.
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Once the butter is melted add the flour and stir to combine.
Add in the milk and whisk. Continue to stir until the milk has thickened.
Add in the dry mustard, A-1 sauce, salt, and pepper and mix well.
Turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer.
Peel and slice the potatoes into thin slices.
Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and lay half of the sliced potatoes in the casserole dish.
Pour half of the sauce on top and then sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top of the layer of potatoes.
Place the remaining potato slices into another layer and pour the rest of the sauce and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 for 20 mins covered with aluminum foil and then remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and everything is melted and delicious.
Delicious potato recipes
- Homemade potato chips
- Baked potato soup
- Classic potato Salad
- Easy mashed potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Potato Chips
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- Oven baked potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
- Melt butter. Add flour and stir while cooking over low heat until golden brown. Add milk. Stir until thickened. If necessary, add more milk. Add dry mustard, A-1, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Reduce heat to low.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin, even ovals. Lay into a greased or pammed 10×13 pan. Pour sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese between layers of potatoes while layering potatoes in to pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 for 20 mins covered with foil and then remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and everything is melted and delicious.