Try this incredibly easy Homemade Soft Pretzels recipe! These pretzels are made from scratch in your own kitchen and you won’t believe how easy it is. They’re soft and chewy with the perfect amount of salty flavor. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce or enjoy them plain. Either way, you’ll be hooked on our Homemade Soft Pretzels!
Homemade Pretzels Recipe
Make your own with this easy recipe that only takes about 30 minutes. You can customize them however you want – with salt, cheese, or even sugar and cinnamon. They’re perfect for a party or just a snack for yourself. And once you make them, you’ll never go back to buying them again.
If you are a fan of Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels then you are going to LOVE this homemade pretzel recipe. Not only is it easy to make but they are the best soft pretzels ever! With the perfect chewy texture, these pretzels are better than mall pretzels and super easy to make.
This easy soft pretzel recipe is made with simple ingredients. The hardest part is forming them into a traditional pretzel shape but even if they don’t have the perfect shape of a pretzel they will still taste amazing!
- Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Dogs
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites
- Buffalo Wing pretzel sticks
- Chocolate covered pretzels
- Soft pretzel bites
Tips for making homemade soft pretzels
Use a stand mixer! I use my KitchenAid Mixer when making these Auntie Anne’s Pretzel Bites Copycat, really I use my mixer for just about everything I do in the kitchen, if there is a use for it then I am using it! But it really does make it easier when making the pretzel dough. This is the mixer I have and not only is it awesome for when I need to mix things, or anything I am doing they come in a large variety of colors so you can easily match your kitchen.
Use Measuring cups. I find that when warming the milk is a lot easier to do when I use my pyrex measuring cups and then pour it into the mixing bowl. I have a smaller microwave so large bowls don’t fit and since I use my KitchenAid to mix it all that bowl is metal and well it really is a bad idea to stick metal in the microwave.
Melted Butter is a MUST! I learned that a BIG part of making Auntie Anne pretzels at home is getting the butter and doing it the same way they do. When the pretzels are hot out of the oven they get a nice bath in melted butter!
Salt. You can use pretzel salt or coarse sea salt for these pretzels. If in a pinch you can use fine table salt.
Can I Make Them into Pretzel Bites?
Yes, you can absolutely make these into pretzel bites! Simply cut the dough into small bite-sized pieces before boiling. Then, bake as directed. They’re perfect for snacking and dipping! If you are looking for soft pretzel bites check out our Auntie Anne’s Copy Cat pretzel bites and our cinnamon sugar pretzel bites recipes. They make the perfect pretzel bites!
Why the Baking Soda Water Bath?
The baking soda bath, gives pretzels their chewy and salty exterior. The baking soda creates a chemical reaction with the acid in the dough that helps to give these pretzels their characteristic flavor and texture.
It is extremely important to not skip this step. While the pretzels will work without it, the homemade soft pretzels will not be the same.
What Kind of Toppings Can I Add to the Soft Pretzels
The possibilities are endless when it comes to topping your homemade soft pretzels. The possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings for your homemade soft pretzels. Let your creativity guide you and try out a few different combinations to find your favorite! Some of our favorites include:
- Salt. This is the most traditional and classic topping for pretzels. Simply sprinkle on some salt before baking for the perfect amount of salty flavor.
- Cinnamon Sugar. For a sweet twist, try sprinkling your pretzels with a mixture of cinnamon and granulated sugar before baking. The combination is delicious and perfect for snacking!
- Cheese. These soft pretzels are also amazing when topped with melted cheese of any kind. Try adding shredded cheddar, pepper jack, or even mozzarella for extra flavor.
- Garlic and Herb. For a savory twist, try sprinkling your pretzels with garlic and herbs such as parsley, dill, or even rosemary. They taste amazing when paired together!
- Pizza Pretzel. Another great combination is pizza sauce and melted mozzarella cheese. Simply top your fresh baked pretzels with these two ingredients for an easy and delicious appetizer that everyone will love!
- Everything Topping. If you prefer the flavor of everything bagels, try topping your soft pretzels with an everything blend before baking. This mixture typically includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated garlic, and onion powder, salt, and sometimes nutritional yeast.
What dip goes with pretzels?
These pretzels are so good they don’t need a dip but if you are a dipper there are lots of amazing things to dip homemade pretzels in. You have your normal dips like cheese dip, cheese sauce, mustard, honey mustard, and chocolate, but if you think outside of the box you may even shock your own taste buds!
Looking for other amazing dips to dip your pretzels in? Check these out!
How to store homemade pretzels
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.
Can I freeze homemade pretzels?
Yes, homemade pretzels can be frozen after they have been baked. All the pretzels to cool completely. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place a single layer of pretzels and then another layer of parchment paper, and then another layer of pretzels on top. Place the pretzels in the freezer for 2 hours until frozen completely. Remove the pretzels from the baking sheet and place them into an airtight container or into a freezer zip close bag and store in the freezer.
How to reheat frozen pretzels
You do not need to reheat the pretzels unless you want to. You can remove them from the freezer and place them on a tray and allow them to thaw at room temperature for about an hour. If you want to reheat them, once they are thawed place them in the oven at 350°F for 3-5 minutes. When you’re ready to eat them, simply reheat them in the oven for a few minutes until they are warmed through. They make a great snack or appetizer, and are perfect for parties and get-togethers!
Can I Freeze Raw Pretzel Dough
Yes, you can freeze the raw dough for pretzels. Simply form the dough into a ball or log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Then, place it in a Ziploc bag and freeze until ready to use. When you’re ready to bake the pretzels from frozen, simply follow the instructions as written. You may need to bake them a few minutes longer when baking from frozen dough depending on your oven.
Soft Pretzel Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast 2 packets
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 3 cups warm water
- Coarse salt
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
How to Make Homemade Soft Pretzels
In a bowl add the milk and warm up the milk in the microwave for just about one and a half minutes. I use my pyrex measuring cups to heat it in. It should be about 110º. If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. You should be able to comfortably keep your finger in it.
Stir in the yeast and one tablespoon of the brown sugar and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl.
Now grab a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and pour the mixture into it.
Add the 4 tablespoons of butter and remaining brown sugar.
Add the flour about 1 cup at a time mixing after adding the flour while keeping the mixer on slow speed and then add the fine salt.
Knead for about 10 minutes with a stand mixer on medium speed or by hand.
Put it in a greased bowl and cover it with greased cling wrap.
Let rise for 1 hour in a moist, warm place to let the dough rise until doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 450º.
Punch down dough and divide into 8-10 lumps.
Roll each piece with your hands to form a rope as thin as you can.
Combine the warm water and baking soda in a wide bowl.
Cut the dough into 6 inch pieces and shape each piece of dough into a pretzel form.
Then dip in the baking soda water.
Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
Bake for about 6-10 minutes or until dark golden brown.
Melt the remaining butter in a bowl while they are baking.
Dip each homemade pretzel in the melted 8 tablespoons of butter while hot.
Love making things homemade? Check out these other amazing recipes!
Homemade Soft Pretzels
- In a bowl add the milk and warm up the milk in the microwave for just about one and a half minutes. I use my pyrex measuring cups to heat it in. It should be about 110º. If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. You should be able to comfortably keep your finger in it.
- Stir in the yeast and one tablespoon of the brown sugar and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl.
- Now grab a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and pour the mixture into it.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter and remaining brown sugar.
- Add the flour about 1 cup at a time mixing after adding the flour while keeping the mixer on slow speed and then add the fine salt.
- Knead for about 10 minutes with a stand mixer on medium speed or by hand.
- Put it in a greased bowl and cover it with greased cling wrap.
- Let rise for 1 hour in a moist, warm place to let the dough rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Punch down dough and divide into 12-14 lumps.
- Roll each piece with your hands to form a rope as thin as you can.
- Combine the warm water and baking soda in a wide bowl.
- Cut the dough into 6 inch pieces and shape each piece of dough into a pretzel form.
- Then dip in the baking soda water.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for about 6-10 minutes or until dark golden brown.
- Melt the remaining butter in a bowl while they are baking.
- Dip each homemade pretzel in the melted 8 tablespoons of butter while hot.