Do you have stinky towels and can not figure out how to get rid of the smell? You are in luck! With 2 simple household items, you can have fresh-smelling towels easily! You are going to love how easy it is to remove smells from towels.
How to Fix Smelly Towels
I am the first person to admit that they hate doing laundry. It is one of those things that if I could never do it again I would be totally on board with that. But unfortunately, life as a mom doesn’t mean I can skip out on the laundry because I don’t like it.
In a house full of kids and us being busy I seem to always forget to change the laundry out when it is done washing. Then it sits and while with clothing I can just rewash it towels don’t seem to bounce back as well as clothing. They get musty smelling after being left in the washer still wet and they totally ruin getting out of a nice warm shower when you are met with a musty smelling towel.
Thankfully there is a super easy and quick way to get the stink out of towels. All you need is some vinegar and some baking soda and the musty towels and you can freshen them up easily.
Why do My towels Smell Bad?
Even if you don’t leave them in the washer as I do at times, over time detergent and fabric softener can build up on them in the normal washing. Not only does this cause stinky towels but they are also less absorbent and no longer soft. This causes bacteria to grow on them and making them stink.
How often should you deep clean towels?
Even if you are not like me and remember to place the laundry into the dryer after time towels will get a built up residue on them. This simple cleaning method will help bring life back into your towels.
How to Prevent stinky towels
After you wash the towels the first time to remove the smells, the best way to keep them from happening again is to repeat the vinegar and baking soda wash frequently. I normally do this once a month as part of my normal cleaning routine and since starting it I have had soft, fluffy, and stink-free towels ever since!
Tips for Keeping Towels fresh
- Hang dry the towels as soon as they are used.
- Make sure towels are completely dry before folding and putting away.
- Stop using fabric softener.
Supplies needed To Remove Smells From Towels
How To Remove Smells From Towels
Pour one cup of white vinegar right into the washer or in the soap dispenser, than run the washer with hot water.
Once it has gone through one wash you now pour half a cup of baking soda right into the washer or in the soap dispenser and run it again with hot water. Don’t add any laundry soap or softener to wash.
Then you dry your towels as you normally do and make sure they arer fully dry before folding and putting away.
If you are looking to get some cleaning done make sure you also check out these cleaning tips and tricks!
- The Secret to getting stains out of carpet
- The secret to dust free baseboards
- How to have a spotless bathroom in 10 minutes
- Tips & Tricks to quickly clean the kitchen
- How to Clean your washing machine
- How to Remove Smells from the garbage disposal
How to Remove Smells From Towels
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Add the towels to the washer.
- Pour one cup of white vinegar right into the washer or in the soap dispenser, then run the washer with hot water.
- Once it has gone through one wash cycle, pour half a cup of baking soda right into the washer or in the soap dispenser and run it again with hot water. Don’t add any laundry soap or softener to wash.
- Then you dry your towels as you normally do and make sure they are fully dry before folding and putting them away.