If you’re a fan of the classic cheeseburger pasta dish known as Hamburger Helper, then you’ll love this easy Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe. This one-pot meal is a delicious and easy-to-make alternative to the boxed version, using fresh ingredients and no preservatives. With its cheesy and creamy sauce, this Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper is sure to be a hit with the whole family and quickly a family favorite. Get ready to dig into a comforting and satisfying dinner with this Cheeseburger Pasta Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
My husband grew up eating things like Hamburger Helper, while I grew up eating freshly made meals. Of course, that means at times he wants some of his comfort food. To give us both what we want and enjoy I have set out to create some of his childhood favorites but in homemade versions.
My husband told me this homemade version of hamburger helper hit the spot perfectly and had all the flavors he remembers but was even better than the boxed stuff. It has all the flavors he loves about the boxed hamburger Helper while being made at home.
The great thing about this homemade cheeseburger hamburger helper is that it does not take much longer to make than the classic hamburger helper that you buy in the store. This recipe is made with simple ingredients, has no preservatives and it is made in a single skillet making clean up super easy.
On busy weeknights, if you want an easy meal this cheeseburger macaroni is perfect. This easy one pan dinner recipe means that you have an easy to make recipe along with easy cleanup.
Comfort Food Recipes
What to Serve with Healthy Hamburger Helper
I like to make things easy on busy nights and many times just toss a steamer bag of veggies in the microwave but you can easily change up the side dishes that you serve. Some of the other sides I make that pair well with homemade hamburger helper are:
- Vegetables. Roasted broccoli, carrots, green beans, or Brussels sprouts are a healthy and flavorful side dish option that pairs well with the creamy and cheesy sauce of Hamburger Helper. We love making Roasted potatoes and carrots, roasted broccoli, honey garlic carrots, roasted cauliflower, and oven roasted carrots.
- Green salad. A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette can help cut through the richness of the pasta dish and provide some much-needed freshness.
- Garlic bread. Who doesn’t love a warm and buttery slice of garlic bread? It’s a classic side dish that goes well with Hamburger Helper and is sure to please everyone at the table.
How to Serve Cheeseburger Pasta Hamburger Helper
You can serve this recipe as is or top it with extra toppings including pickles, relish, and diced onions.
Tips for Making this Recipe
You can use beef broth or beef better than Boulion. If using Better than Bouillon (BTB), follow the directions on the jar to make the broth. I like to use the Better than Bouillon as it comes in a small jar and I always have it on hand. Then I just boil some water and add the BTB and mix. If you are in a pinch and don’t have beef broth you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth.
You can use minced garlic instead of fresh. If you have jarred minced garlic you can use that in place of the fresh garlic, you will need 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in place of the 2 garlic cloves of fresh garlic.
Shred your own cheese. I know the pre shredded cheese makes things easier, but if you shred your own cheese it melts much better giving you a smoother sauce.
Variations of this recipe
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be customized to your family’s taste.
- Change up the meat. Ground turkey or ground chicken can be used in place of beef.
- Change up the noodles. We use elbow macaroni but you can use what you have on hand, rotini, and penne are both great options. You can also use whole wheat pasta if you prefer.
- Change up the cheese. You can use any kind of cheese you like. Cheddar, Swiss, or even a mix of cheeses will be delicious in this recipe.
- Add some veggies. You can add some veggies to this dish for a healthier version. It already has onions in it but you can add broccoli, bell peppers, or peas if you want to.
How to Store Leftovers
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Can I freeze this recipe?
This can be frozen for up to 3-4 months. I like to pre-portion into freezer bags for an easy lunch or dinner when I don’t have time to cook.
Could I make this in the oven instead?
Yes! Either method will work. To make this in the oven, add the casserole to the oven once you have added the broth, pasta sauce, and dry pasta into the casserole. Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. Once the pasta is cooked, add the cheese to the casserole and mix, and pop it back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Can I make this with cooked pasta?
Yes, you absolutely can make this easy hamburger helper recipe with already cooked pasta. If you are using cooked pasta, then you don’t need to add broth. The broth is to cook the pasta and they absorb all the liquid from the broth in the process.
Homemade Hamburger Helper (Cheeseburger Pasta) Ingredients
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 16 ounce jar of tomato sauce
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup dill pickles relish
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- 3 cups of beef broth or 3 cups water and 1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon (no cooking required)
How to make Cheeseburger Pasta Hamburger Helper
Dice the onion into small pieces.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the onions and a little bit of olive oil, cook until they are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add ground beef and garlic to onions and mix well. Cook till meat is browned, about 4-5 minutes.
Next, add relish, salt, pepper, ground mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine well, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Then add the tomato sauce, beef broth, and uncooked pasta, mix well, and bring to a simmer. Simmer on medium for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is soft or al dente (according to your preference).
Add shredded cheese, mix, and let bubble for another 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
One Pot Meals The whole Family will Love
Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe (Cheeseburger Pasta Recipe)
- Dice the onion into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the onions and a little bit of olive oil, cook until they are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground beef and garlic to onions and mix well. Cook till meat is browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add relish, salt, pepper, ground mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine well, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the tomato sauce, beef broth, and uncooked pasta, mix well, and bring to a simmer. Simmer on medium for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is soft or al dente (according to your preference).
- Add shredded cheese, mix, and let bubble for another 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted.