Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins. Moist zucchini muffins with chocolate chips and walnuts make for the perfect snack or breakfast. This easy muffin recipe can be enjoyed right away or frozen to enjoy later! These zucchini muffins are loaded with chocolate chips and walnuts for the perfect sweet but healthy muffin recipe.
Chocolate chip zucchini muffins
You won’t be able to stop at just one! These chocolate chip zucchini muffins are the perfect way for you and your friends and family members who love a sweet tasty healthy muffin. These muffins are the perfect way to get your daily dose of vegetables! Packed with flavor and nutrients, these muffins are a delicious and healthy snack.
There are so many reasons to love these chocolate chip zucchini muffins! They taste like dessert, can be eaten for breakfast, and are packed with veggies.
Save these muffins as a breakfast on-the-go or as an afternoon pick-me-up when you need a little something sweet. Made using my favorite chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe, these little bites of heaven are one of our favorites and the kids will make them disappear.
Easy Muffin Recipes
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- Banana Coconut muffins
- Banana Carrot muffins
- Chocolate Banana Chocolate chip muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
Do the muffins taste like zucchini?
A lot of people are concerned and wonder if the muffins will taste like veggies and are hesitant to make them. The great thing about these zucchini muffins is that it does not add much zucchini flavor to the muffins. Zucchini doesn’t have much flavor on its own so all it adds is moisture and nutrients to the muffins.
The muffins tend to taste like the chocolate chips and cinnamon in the recipe. If you add something like nuts, it will also add in the flavor of the nuts. Unless you tell the family, or they see the small green flecks, no one will know that there is zucchini in these muffins. When making other zucchini baked goods, like, all of the muffins take on the flavors of the other ingredients inside.
How long do these muffins last?
To maximize freshness, store your muffins in an airtight container. Keep the muffins at room temperature and they will last for up to 3 days. You can also store the chocolate chip zucchini muffins in the freezer.
Can I freeze chocolate chip zucchini muffins?
Absolutely. I love making a double batch and then freezing the muffins so we can enjoy them later. They freeze well and it makes breakfasts and snacks super easy during busy days.
Freeze muffins individually. Let your muffins cool completely. Then individually wrap them in plastic wrap, and put them in a freezer bag.
Freeze muffins as a group. If you do not want to wrap them individually, you can let them cool completely. Once cooled, remove the muffins from the muffin tin and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place them in the freezer and freeze them until they are solid, which takes about an hour.
How to defrost frozen muffins
Defrosting frozen muffins is easy and there are a few different ways that you can defrost muffins.
Defrost at room temperature. Remove muffins from the freezer and let them defrost at room temperature on the counter.
Defrost in the fridge. Remove muffins from the freezer and let them defrost in the fridge.
Defrost in the microwave. Remove muffins from the freezer and put them on a microwave safe plate. Then heat them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
Can I double the recipe for these muffins?
Yes. If you want to double the recipe. If you want to double the recipe, you will get 24 muffins. You can then keep the muffins to eat as is, and finish them in the next 3 days or you can freeze half the batch so that you have them whenever you want them.
Should I dry the zucchini?
I usually skip this. I tend to dry the zucchini when I am cooking with it but this isn’t something that I normally do when I am baking, I like that the excess water makes the muffins so moist. If you want to, you can press the zucchini between sheets of paper towels or a clean dish towel to dry it out before adding it to the batter.
Tips for Making Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- If you are planning to double the recipe, make sure that your oven is big enough to hold twice as many muffins or bake in 2 steps.
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix until it is just combined or you might end up with tough muffins.
- Make sure to use mini chocolate chips. If you use regular sized chocolate chips, it will be too much and the muffins will fall apart.
- If your batter is on the thicker side after adding the zucchini, thin it out with a little bit of milk until it reaches the right consistency.
- Don’t have dark chocolate chips. You can swap them. Use white chocolate, semi or milk chocolate chips.
- Room temperature ingredients. Having room temperature milk, butter, and eggs when making muffins is going to give you perfectly fluffy muffins every time. When you use room temperature ingredients you get a smooth mixture that traps the air when mixing and then gives you fluffy muffins as they bake in the oven.
Can I Make these into Mini Muffins?
Yes you can. You can use a regular sized muffin pan or a mini muffin tin when you are making these muffins. If you are using a mini muffin tin then you will want to cut down on the bake time by half, then check the muffins.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups raw zucchini, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts,
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips,
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, oil, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
Once combined, add in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
Fold in shredded zucchini.
Fold in walnuts & chocolate chips, save some for the top before baking.
Spray the muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray & fill 3/4 full. Top with chocolate chips and walnuts.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Once baked, let cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to the cooling rack for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Easy Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Alfredo Lasagna
- Shrimp Alfredo With Zoodles
- Walnut Zucchini Bread
- Moist Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In medium bowl, mix together eggs, oil, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Once combined, add in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Fold in shredded zucchini.
- Fold in walnuts & chocolate chips, save some for the top before baking.
- spray muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray & fill 3/4 full, bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked, let cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to the cooling rack for an additional 10-15 minutes.