Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are the perfect chocolate muffins to enjoy for breakfast or a snack! Fluffy, and rich in flavor everyone will love these homemade zucchini chocolate chip muffins!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I am always looking for special treats for my kids which is why these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are a big hit in our house. My kids love them because they are bursting with chocolate and chocolate chips and I love them because they are loaded with veggies.
I love zucchini in general and making zoodles, zucchini lasagna, Zucchini Pizza Bites and Zucchini Boats. However zucchini is also perfect for baked treats too. My kids favorite baked zucchini recipes are these Chocolate Chip Zucchini muffins and homemade zucchini bread.
Baking with zucchini is the perfect way to get super moist muffins while still making them healthy. Whenever I bake with zucchini is grate it super fine and most of the time no one even knows it is in the batter!
Muffins have been a long time go to in our house for breakfast, snacks and sometimes even lunch. I can make a batch of muffins and be set for a few days with something that the kids love.
Looking for more muffin recipes? Check these out!
- Greek yogurt Blueberry muffins
- Banana Carrot muffins
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Whole wheat pumpkin muffins
- Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip muffins
- Banana Chocolate chip muffins
- Pumpkin Banana muffins
- Banana Coconut Muffins
- Whole Wheat apple muffins
How long do muffins keep fresh?
These zucchini chocolate chip muffins will keep for 3 days in an airtight container, if they last that long after your family gets a taste of them!
How to freeze Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I like to make multiple batches of muffins and freeze them so we have them for quick and easy breakfasts. double chocolate zucchini muffins are super easy to freeze.
Once you have baked your muffins, remove them from the muffin tin and allow them to cool completely. Place them in a single layer in a plastic freezer bag and lay flat in the freezer.
Chocolate chip zucchini muffins will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
To reheat the homemade muffins remove from the freezer and heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- whole wheat flour
- granulated white sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- egg, lightly beaten
- unsweetened applesauce
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- grated zucchini
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a muffin pan by spraying with non-stick spray or insert muffin liners.
In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, vegetable oil, milk, and the vanilla extract.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, do not over mix.
Fold in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter evenly in the muffin pan.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool.
Love Zucchini? Check out these zucchini recipes!
- Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Alfredo Lasagna
- Shrimp Alfredo With Zoodles
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin pan by spraying with non-stick spray or insert muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, vegetable oil, milk, and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, do not over mix.
- Fold in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter evenly in the muffin pan.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool.