Falafel Bowls with Homemade Falafel, Turmeric Rice and Tzatziki Sauce. Homemade Falafel on top of homemade Turmeric Rice, with tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers and carrots drizzled with homemade Tzatziki Sauce.
Falafel Bowls with Homemade Falafel, Turmeric Rice and Tzatziki Sauce
I can’t travel right now but that hasn’t stopped me from thinking about my summer plans of taking a trip to New York City. I had planned on going with the kids just for a day and in our plans was stopping at the Halah cart to get Falafel Sandwiches and Falafel bowls. Since I can not go to NYC right now I am using my favorite falafel recipe to make them at home!
Making falafel at home takes a bit of time but I am telling you it is so worth it when you make it! Every time I make falafel the kids devour it! It is the perfect meatless-dinner to make that is filling and perfect for summer.
Meatless Dinner Recipes
- Egg Salad Lettuce Wrap
- Pizza Monkey Bread
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Roasted Red Peppers and Provolone Grilled Cheese
What is a Falafel Bowl?
Traditional falafel is ground chickpeas, mixed with fresh herbs and spices, then fried either in a pan or in a deep fryer. While originating in the middle east, this is now one of the most popular street foods that you will find anywhere that has food carts.
A Falafel bowl with homemade turmeric rice on the bottom and then topped with with fresh made falafel, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, sliced radishes and grated carrots. Then topped with pieces of naan bread, some hummus and then drizzled with cucumber yogurt sauce also known as Tzatziki sauce.
If you have never made falafel, be sure to check out my how to make falafel post for all the information and tips for making the best falafel. The same goes for the cucumber yogurt sauce, it has a few steps to it and its best to read the full post on how to make Tzatziki sauce because there are a few tips and tricks to making it perfect. It is not hard I promise!
Falafel Bowl Ingredients
- naan bread
- turmeric rice
- homemade Falafels
- homemade tzatziki sauce
How to Make Falafel Bowls
Make the homemade tzatziki sauce and put in the fridge to cool until needed.
Make turmeric rice.
Next, make the homemade Falafels.
After the falafel is made, turmeric rice and tzatziki sauce is done Wash and slice the tomato, cucumber, and radishes. Then grate the carrot with a box grater and set aside.
Put a skillet on the stove at medium heat and add the naan bread. Heat each side for 2-3 minutes until the bread has softened and warm.
Place the turmeric rice into bowls. Top the rice with the sliced tomato, cucumber, and radishes, falafels, hummus, and naan bread. Drizzle the tzatziki sauce on top.
Easy Vegetarian Dinner Recipes
Falafel Bowl Ingredients
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 2 radishes
- 1 carrot
- 2 naan bread
- 2 cups turmeric rice
- 1 batch Falafels
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce
Tzatziki sauce Ingredients
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup white onion finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne and I mean a pinch!
- 2 Tablespoons Coriander
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Vegetable oil For Frying
How to Make Tzatziki sauce
- Peel the cucumber and then slice it in half and then in half again lengthwise and scoop out the seeds in the middle.
- Slice it up into smaller pieces and put them on top of paper towels and sprinkle the pieces of cucumber with the 1 tablespoon kosher salt and let them dry for a bit.
- Using the paper towel, wrap the cucumber and squeeze the slices to get out as much moisture as you can, you want them as dry as you can get them.
- Put the cucumbers into a blender or a food processor with the garlic, dill and lemon juice and chop till fine and combined.
- Add the garlic, dill and lemon juice mixture with the sour cream and Greek yogurt in a large mixing bowl and add kosher salt and pepper keep adding salt until you get a balanced flavor.
- Put the Tzatziki sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. The longer it sits, the better the flavors will mix, so feel free to make this ahead of time.
How to Make Falafel
- Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher in a large bowl.
- Once they are all mashed well add the baking powder, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, parsley, cilantro, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and mix well.
- Form the Mixture into patties, I make small, round patties that I can fit into pita bread but you can also make them into round balls.
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a pan so that the falafel has enough room to float over medium high heat.
- Cook the falafel in oil just until they are golden brown and pull them out and drain them on paper towels.
How to Make Turmeric rice
- Set instant pot to sauté and add in the olive oil and garlic. Cook until garlic has just started brown and turn off the heat.
- Add the rice, water, turmeric and salt to the pot, stir until well combined. Placed the lid onto the instant pot and set it to pressure cook for five minutes.
- Allow instant pot to naturally release for an additional five minutes and then use the button to remove any excess steam. Stir the rice to mix in all of the flavors.
How to Assemble Falafel Bowl
- After the falafel is made, turmeric rice and tzatziki sauce is done Wash and slice the tomato, cucumber, and radishes. Then grate the carrot with a box grater and set aside.
- Put a skillet on the stove at medium heat and add the naan bread. Heat each side for 2-3 minutes until the bread has softened and warm.
- Place the turmeric rice into bowls. Top the rice with the sliced tomato, cucumber, and radishes, falafels, hummus, and naan bread. Drizzle the tzatziki sauce on top.