Chicken and Broccoli with Brown Sauce is an easy Chinese Takeout Style dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Juicy chicken, crisp broccoli in the best Chinese Style brown sauce.
Chicken and Broccoli Chinese Take Out
This Chinese Food Chicken and Broccoli recipe is a hit in my house and has just the right amount of sauce to make it perfect like they do at the take out place. Even better this Homemade Chinese Food Chicken and Broccoli recipe is healthier and cheaper then the one you buy at the take out place!
I am not going to lie, I could eat Chinese take out daily and never get sick of it. However my pocketbook and my waistline would not be very happy with me. So I have found ways to enjoy my favorite Chinese take out foods by making them at home.
Stir Fry recipes have been go tos for us for years. They are quick, easy, full of flavor and easily changed up based on the ingredients you have on hand. Anytime I make a stir fry, including my Tex Mex Stir fry and Chicken Asparagus stir fry the family loves it.
Variations of this Recipe
Of course with chicken the main ingredients are chicken and broccoli. But with any recipe you can change things up if you want to. When I am making Chinese style stir fries sometimes the mood strikes me to add more veggies.
When making chicken and broccoli stir fry I sometimes like to add thin sliced carrots, chopped onions, chopped green bell peppers, snap peas or mushrooms.
Tips for Making Amazing Stir Fry
Use a Wok. When you are cooking a stir fry the trick its to cook it at a very high temperature while stirring a lot. A wok really helps out with the cooking process, you can get one here for less than $30.
Thin sliced chicken. When you are cutting the chicken it is best to cut it into thin pieces. Not only will it cook faster but you don’t have to wait to enjoy it once you are done cooking.
Fresh Veggies. Using fresh veggies will give you a much better stir fry. If you need to use frozen vegetables you can but I highly suggest using fresh veggies so you have the best Chinese chicken and broccoli stir fry.
What to Serve with Chicken and Broccoli with Brown Sauce
You can serve this Chinese take out inspired stir fry as is, over white rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or Garlic rice.
Chicken and Broccoli Ingredients
- 2 pounds, chicken breasts, cut in small thin pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 tablespoons oil
How to Make Chinese Food Chicken and Broccoli
Cut the chicken breasts into cubes.
Brown chicken pieces in oil in a wok over medium heat.
In a medium size bowl add garlic salt, substitute soy sauce, brown sugar and 1 Cup chicken broth. Stir to mix all ingredients.
Pour the brown sauce in the pan with the chicken and mix well. Cover and simmer until chicken is done, about 5-10 minutes.
While the chicken is simmering in the brown sauce, wash and cut broccoli, steam in a veggie steamer until tender.
Remove the chicken from the pan. Stir the rest of the chicken broth and cornstarch together in another bowl.
Pour the mixture into the pan and stir all ingredients well and bring to a boil just long enough to thicken.
Add the broccoli and chicken back into the pan spooning the sauce over it to coat it well.
Once everything is coated, serve as desired.
Easy Chicken and Broccoli Recipes
- Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Zucchini Lasagna
- Chicken and Broccoli Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
Chicken and Broccoli (Chinese takeout)
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes.
- Brown chicken pieces in oil in a wok over medium heat.
- In a medium size bowl add garlic salt, substitute soy sauce, brown sugar and 1 Cup chicken broth. Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Return cut chicken pieces to wok.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is done, about 5-10 minutes.
- Wash and cut broccoli, steam in a veggie steamer until tender.
- Remove chicken.Stir the rest of the chicken broth and cornstarch together in another bowl.
- Pour in wok and stir all ingredients well and bring to a boil just long enough to thicken.
- Add chicken and broccoli back into the wok spooning the sauce over it to coat it well.