If you are looking for a simple crockpot casserole that combines old school flavors then you are going to love this crockpot chicken and rice casserole. This is the crockpot version of my husbands favorite meal from when he was growing up, Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole.
Crockpot Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
I am going to be 100% up front and honest with you about this recipe. It is not my favorite. I am not a fan of chicken and rice combined in a casserole. I would much prefer a baked chicken dish with a bunch of tasty side dishes like veggies and parmesan rice.
However my husband loves this recipe, he tells me it is the best crock pot chicken and rice casserole recipe ever, every time I make it. His mom made an oven baked version of this when he was growing up and according to him it was the best thing she could cook. He gave me the ingredients for how she made it and asked me to make it. I did. It was gross and was super bland.
So I set out to come up with a recipe that was easier to make and much more flavorful then the meal his mom made and came up with this Crockpot Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole. It was a winner and he loved it and said it was 100% times better then the Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole his mom used to make.
I still wasn’t sold on it. 15 years later of us being married I am still not sold on it. But he loves it, the kids enjoy it so I continue to make it. It is the small things that make marriage work, and for us this Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is one of them.
Looking for more chicken Casserole recipes? Check these out!
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken and potato casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Chicken Doritos Taco Casserole
Cooking a Casserole in the Crockpot
Casseroles are simple dishes because all you are doing it dumping the ingredients into a baking dish and then cooking them in the oven. You really can not get much easier than that. However I love my crockpot and I love that it does most of the work for me during the day so I can get other things done.
I also have to admit that I hate making rice when I am making a casserole because it doesn’t seem to cook to what I think rice should be when I throw it in the oven no matter how much extra liquid I add to it. Using the crockpot I get soft rice cooked the way rice should be cooked.
When I am cooking dinner in the crockpot I like to use disposable crockpot liners to make life easier when doing after dinner clean up. If you have never used them, you should totally try them!
Crockpot Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole Ingredients
- 1 pound chicken
- 5 ounces cream of celery soup
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 heads of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- French’s Fried Onions (optional)
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Spray your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray or line with a disposable crockpot liner.
Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.
Wash and cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces.
Add chicken, bacon, and rice to the crockpot.
Next add in the cream of mushroom soup and the cream of celery soup and mix everything together well.
Then add in the shredded cheddar cheese and mix again.
Turn the crockpot on to the heat setting of your choice. Cook on low for 6 hours or cook on high for 4 hours.
Once done you can serve as is or you can pour into an oven safe baking dish and top with extra cheese and French’s Fried onions and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
You can also add extra cheese after it is done cooking and put the lid back on for a few minutes to melt the extra cheese on top.
Looking for more amazing crockpot recipes? Be sure to check these out!
- Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Chicken Tacos
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Crockpot Ranch Chicken
- Crockpot Applesauce
crockpot chicken broccoli and rice casserole
- Spray your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray or line with a disposable crockpot liner.
- Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Wash and cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken, bacon, and rice to the crockpot.
- Add in the cream of mushroom soup and the cream of celery soup and mix everything together well.
- Add in the shredded cheddar cheese and mix again.
- Turn the crockpot on to the heat setting of your choice. Cook on low for 6 hours or cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once done you can serve as is or you can pour into an oven safe baking dish and top with extra cheese and French's Fried onions and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints without the French Fried Onions
More Recipes you will love!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here