Peanut butter hot chocolate bombs are the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate in a tasty drink. These peanut butter hot chocolate bombs have a peanut butter shell and are filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows and have the flavor of Reese’s peanut butter cups. This peanut butter hot chocolate bombs recipe makes having hot chocolate on a chilly day extra special and a great gift too!
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Peanut butter and chocolate lovers will fall in love with this Peanut butter hot chocolate bombs recipe. The combination of peanut butter chips forming the hot chocolate bombshell and the chocolate powdered mix inside make for an amazing hot chocolate. If you know someone who loves Reese’s peanut butter cups then you are going to want to make this peanut butter hot cocoa bombs recipe for them.
This delicious hot chocolate bomb combines the combination of rich chocolate and peanut butter flavor, perfect for all the peanut butter and chocolate fans.
My kids and I have been making hot chocolate bombs for a few years now and every time we find a new combination that we love we share it. It is a fun activity that you can do with the kids and then enjoy tasty hot chocolate during the chilly and cold months of winter.
Making hot chocolate bombs follows a simple process: melting chocolate, pouring it into silicone molds, filling, sealing, and adding decorative touches. For the best results and flawless hot chocolate bombs, we’ve included numerous tips to perfecting your hot cocoa bombs every single time!
If you have never made hot chocolate bombs, be sure to check out my post on everything you need to know about making hot chocolate bombs.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
- Santa Hot chocolate Bombs
- Gingerbread house hot chocolate bombs
- Easter Bunny Hot chocolate Bombs
- Heart Shaped hot chocolate bombs
- Unicorn Hot chocolate Bombs
- Peppermint Hot chocolate bombs
What is a Hot chocolate bomb?
A hot chocolate bomb is a delicious treat that is used to make a rich and creamy cup of hot chocolate.
It typically consists of a hollow sphere made of chocolate that is filled with hot chocolate mix and sometimes mini marshmallows or other fillings. They can be customized with various flavors and decorations to suit different preferences and occasions.
When the hot chocolate bomb is placed in a mug and hot milk is poured over it, the chocolate shell melts, releasing the hot chocolate mix and any additional fillings, resulting in a delicious beverage.
Hot chocolate bombs are often enjoyed during the colder months and have become popular for their visual appeal and the interactive experience of watching them melt in the hot milk.
How to Use Hot Chocolate Bombs
To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups of hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
How Much Hot Milk do I need for a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
Depending on the size of them you will need 1 – 2 cups of milk. For a stronger flavor use less milk, but I suggest never using less than one cup of milk.
Variations of this recipe
Add a chocolate drizzle. If you want to fancy the hot chocolate bombs up a bit you can add a drizzle of melted chocolate on top of the hot chocolate bombs with a piping bag. These hot chocolate bombs already have a peanut butter drizzle on top but you can add additional drizzle on top.
Add more peanut butter flavor. You can use a little bit less of the hot chocolate powder and add a little bit of peanut butter powder to give the hot chocolate bombs more peanut butter flavor.
Change up the hot chocolate mix. You can use a milk chocolate hot chocolate mix, white chocolate hot chocolate mix or dark chocolate hot chocolate mix inside the hot chocolate bombs.
Add peanut butter cups on top. I use gold ball sprinkles on top of mine but you can chop up some Reese’s peanut butter cups into small pieces and place them on top of the of melted peanut butter chips drizzle or chocolate drizzle whichever one you use.
Tips for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs
Melt the chocolate properly. Use a microwave or a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Make sure to melt it gently and avoid overheating to prevent the chocolate from seizing. Stir frequently for even melting.
Coat the molds evenly. Coat the molds with melted chocolate evenly, making sure there are no gaps or thin spots. You can use a pastry brush for a smooth coating.
Chill the molds. Place the coated molds in the refrigerator for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set. This will help the shells to harden and retain their shape.
Fill the shells. Fill one half of the chocolate sphere with hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows. You can also add other flavors or fillings like caramel, peppermint, or cinnamon for variation.
Seal the spheres. Carefully heat a plate and use it to melt the rim of the empty half-sphere. Place it on top of the filled half to seal the bomb. This creates a seamless sphere.
What are Candy Melts?
Candy melts, also known as candy wafers, are colored or flavored chocolate-like ingredients designed for easy melting and decorative use. They are often considered superior to chocolate chips for melting purposes. You can readily locate them in the baking aisle or cake decorating section of most grocery stores. Alternatively, craft stores like Michael’s also typically stock them.
What is the best Hot Chocolate mix to add to hot chocolate bombs?
Any powdered hot chocolate powder mix or hot cocoa powder will work when you are making hot chocolate bombs. You can use your favorite brand or homemade.
How do you smooth the edges of a hot chocolate bomb so both sides stick together?
If the edges of the chocolate cups are not even, heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup and even it out. Repeat with all of the chocolate cups, as necessary.
How to Store hot chocolate bombs
Hot chocolate bombs can be stored at room temperature if your environment is cool and dry. Place them in an airtight container or a sealed bag to prevent moisture and humidity from affecting their quality. If the room temperature is warm, it’s better to store hot chocolate bombs in the refrigerator.
If you’re stacking the hot chocolate bombs, place parchment paper or wax paper between the layers to prevent them from sticking together.
How long do Hot Chocolate Bombs last?
The shelf life of hot chocolate bombs can vary depending on the ingredients used and the storage conditions. Generally, when stored properly, hot chocolate bombs can last for about 2 months.
How do I package hot Chocolate bombs for Gifting?
Packaging hot chocolate bombs for gifting can enhance their presentation and make them more visually appealing. Here are some tips for packaging hot chocolate bombs effectively:
- Individual wrapping: Wrap each hot chocolate bomb individually in cellophane or clear plastic gift bags. This will not only keep them fresh but also showcase their appearance.
- Decorative boxes or tins: Place the hot chocolate bombs in decorative boxes or tins that fit the size of the bombs. You can add colorful tissue paper or crinkle paper as a cushion to prevent them from moving around.
- Ribbon or twine: Tie a colorful ribbon or twine around the packaging to secure it and add a decorative touch. You can also attach a gift tag or a small card with a personalized message.
- Protective packaging: Ensure that the packaging provides adequate protection to prevent the hot chocolate bombs from breaking or losing their shape during transit. Use bubble wrap or additional cushioning if necessary.
What Supplies do I need to make Hot Chocolate Bombs?
High-quality chocolate or candy melts. Choose good-quality chocolate or candy melts in various flavors and colors.
Silicone sphere molds. These molds are essential for creating the spherical shape of the hot chocolate bombs. This is the mold that I use.
Small spoon. Use a spoon to coat the molds evenly with melted chocolate. You will need a small spoon to fill the molds with the hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows.
Microwave-safe bowl. To melt the candy melts you will need a bowl that you can use in the microwave.
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs Ingredients
- Peanut Butter Flavored Candy Melts: These are confectionery wafers or discs are made with a peanut butter flavor. They are ideal for melting and use in various confectionery and candy products including making peanut butter hot chocolate bombs. They provide a peanut butter taste that is perfect for peanut butter hot chocolate.
- Hot Cocoa Powder Mix: A pre-mixed blend of cocoa powder, sugar, and sometimes powdered milk, designed to be easily dissolved in hot milk or water to make a quick and indulgent cup of hot chocolate. You can use milk chocolate hot chocolate mix, dark chocolate hot chocolate mix or white chocolate hot chocolate mix.
- Mini Marshmallows: For hot chocolate, mini marshmallows are added to provide a delightful texture and an extra hint of sweetness when melted in hot cocoa. These get placed inside the spheres of peanut butter candy melts along with the hot chocolate powder.
- Gold Ball Sugar Pearl Sprinkles: These are small, spherical sprinkles with a shiny, gold finish, are used to decorate and add a touch of elegance to the hot chocolate bombs. You can change things up and use different sprinkles if you want.
How to Make Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs
Place the peanut butter candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package. I start in 30-second increments to make sure I do not overcook the candy melts.
Place 1 tablespoon melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even.
Repeat with 12 half-sphere molds. Reserve the remaining melted candy melts.
Place the chocolate-filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
Remove the molds from the freezer and gently peel the silicone away from the chocolate cups.
Smooth the edges if needed.
Fill 6 of the molds with 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa mix and 5-10 mini marshmallows.
Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
Immediately press this warmed-edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
With the reserved melted peanut butter candy melts, pipe a little bit on top of each hot cocoa bomb and immediately place a teaspoon of the gold sprinkle pearls on top of the melted chocolate.
Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- Whipped hot chocolate
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- Keto hot Chocolate
- Halloween Hot Chocolate
- Italian Hot Chocolate
- Starbucks Hot Chocolate
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate
- Caramel hot chocolate
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- 2 cups Peanut Butter Flavored Candy Melts
- 12 tablespoons Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- ½ cup Gold Ball Sugar Pearls
- Place the peanut butter candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package. I start in 30 second increments to make sure I do not over cook the candy melts.
- Place 1 tablespoon melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even.
- Repeat with 12 half sphere molds. Reserve the remaining melted candy melts.
- Place the chocolate-filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the freezer and gently peel the silicone away from the chocolate cups.
- Smooth the edges if needed.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix and 5 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed-edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- With the reserved melted peanut butter candy melts, pipe a little bit on top of each hot cocoa bomb and immediately place a teaspoon of the gold sprinkle pearls on top of the melted chocolate.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.