Grab a watermelon and some watermelon flavored Jell-O and make this fun summer treat! This Watermelon jello recipe is the perfect summer treat for the kids and it is super easy to make, with only 3 ingredients! I haven’t met a kid yet who doesn’t love enjoying jello watermelon slices on a sunny summer day!
Watermelon Jello Slices
Bring on the warm weather! I am so excited for the pretty days and summer sun to be shining. But that also means it is HOT and we need some tasty treats to keep us cool! One of my kid’s favorite fruits to enjoy in the summer time is watermelon. Using the empty shell of the watermelon we made these super fun watermelon slices that are filled with cold jello. The kids love it and it is a super fun way to enjoy jello during the summer!
Watermelon Jello slices are the perfect summer party snack or just because you want to give the kids a fun summer treat on a hot summer day.
If you are wanting a boozy treat, be sure to check out our Watermelon Jello Shots! They are the perfect summer treat for adults!
Easy Cool treats for summer
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Easy Ice Cream Cake
- Unicorn Ice Cream
- Shortbread cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
What is Watermelon Jello Slices?
Watermelon Jello slices is one of my kids favorite summer treats! Using the empty watermelon rind in place of a bowl to let jello set. Then once it is set you slice the watermelon like you normally would slice one but instead of watermelon, there is jello to enjoy! Whenever I have a watermelon that I am going to cut up and serve I make this easy summer jello recipe.
How do you make watermelon Slices with Jello?
It is super easy! Watermelon jello slices need just 3 ingredients. Then you scoop out the watermelon, fill the watermelon rind with Jell-o and let the jello set. Then slice the watermelon into slices or you can serve it in a bowl! Kids love it when they can walk around and enjoy slices of watermelon jello!
Tips & Variations for Making this recipe
Allow jello to set fully. You need the jello to set fully so that it is the perfect jiggly jello the kids love. You also need it to be fully set so you can slice it and make watermelon jello slices.
Use a seedless watermelon. Seedless watermelon is always easier to serve with kids because you do not have to worry about
Change up the Jello. I use strawberry or watermelon jello so it matches the color of watermelon, but you can totally change up the flavor that you use.
Use a melon baller. If you are wanting to use the melon in a fruit salad from the watermelon then it is best to use a melon baller to make watermelon balls.
Use a large bowl. It is easiest to make the jello mixture in a large bowl and then pour it into the watermelon bowl.
Add Chocolate Chips. You can add a small handful of mini chocolate chips into the jello before it has set to make it look like there are watermelon seeds in it.
How to Serve Watermelon Jello
You can serve this watermelon Jello in a few different ways depending on how you want to.
- Slice and serve. Slice the watermelon rind filled with set jello into slices to have an easy to hold treat.
- In a bowl. Scoop from the watermelon bowl and serve in a bowl with whipped cream and a few chocolate chips.
How long does it take Jello to set?
It takes Jello 3 hours to fully set. I like to leave mine in the fridge for at least 3 hours, but many times leave it to set for 4 hours just to be sure.
How do you know when Jello is set?
You can tell that Jello is finished setting when it jiggles but only a little bit. If the jello looks runny let it set in the fridge for a bit more time.
How to Store Watermelon Jello
After the Jello is set, store in an airtight container or a glass dish and cover with plastic wrap. It will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze Jello?
No. Jello can not be stored in the freezer. In fact putting Jello in the freezer will actually reduce the life span of it making it spoil sooner.
Watermelon Jell-O Ingredients
- Seedless watermelon. You want to use a small watermelon for the best results. You will be scooping the insides watermelon and leaving just the watermelon rind empty to fill with the Jell-O mixture.
- Watermelon Jell-O. My favorite to use is Jolly Rancher gelatin.
- Water. You will need cold water and boiling water to make the jello.
How to Make Watermelon Jell-O
Cut the watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife to carefully cut around the red part of the watermelon to loosen it up.
Then with a spoon scoop out the flesh of the watermelon. Prepare the jell-o according to the box.
In a large mixing bowl add the Jell-O powder and the boiling water and mix well to combine.
Then add the cold water to the gelatin mixture and whisk the mixture until well combined.
Pour the Jello mixture into the watermelon rinds, you want to divide mixture evenly between each side of the watermelon.
Place the watermelon into the refrigerator to set up for 3 hours.
Once the Jell-O is set up cut the watermelon into wedges or slices using a sharp knife.
- Watermelon Juice
- Watermelon Blueberry Fruit Salad
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Boozy Watermelon Slushi
- Watermelon ice cubes
- 1 small Seedless watermelon
- 3 6 ounce boxes Watermelon Jell-O.
- 6 cups cold Water
- 6 cups boiling water
- Cut the watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife to carefully cut around the red part of the watermelon to loosen it up.
- Then with a spoon scoop out the flesh of the watermelon. Prepare the jell-o according to the box.
- In a large mixing bowl add the Jell-O powder and the boiling water and mix well to combine.
- Then add the cold water to the gelatin mixture and whisk the mixture until well combined.
- Pour the Jello mixture into the watermelon rinds, you want to divide mixture evenly between each side of the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon into the refrigerator to set up for 3 hours.
- Once the Jell-O is set up cut the watermelon into wedges or slices using a sharp knife.