If you are looking for the most AMAZING Holiday treat then you HAVE to make this Christmas Crack, also known as saltine cracker toffee, candy crack, saltine candy crackers, or cracker candy! With only 5 ingredients and about 20 minutes, you will have the most amazing holiday treat ever with this easy Christmas crack recipe!
Christmas Crack Recipe
I have to be 100% honest with you about this recipe because I am sure you are going to look at the ingredient list and think I have lost my mind. The first time my sister in law made Christmas crack my only thought was you have to be on crack to want to eat saltines and chocolate together!
She just laughed at me and told me I needed to try it. I was totally hesitant, totally not on board with taking a bit of this creation she was calling a dessert. However, to please her I took a bite. Then on my own, I took a few more bites and soon after I realized I had devoured every piece that she had put on my plate.
What is Christmas Crack?
Christmas crack is made with saltine crackers, chocolate, butter and brown sugar. It is so amazing, you don’t really get the favor of the saltines. You get the crunchy texture and salty flavor. It’s the same thing as a chocolate covered pretzel but ten times better because it has a butter toffee.
The greatest thing about this is how easy it is to make! You don’t have to worry about tempering any chocolate or needing a candy thermometer. I love making all sorts of holiday treats and I don’t mind the complicated ones, but sometimes I want super easy and super tasty!
Looking for more Christmas recipes? Check these out!
Christmas Crack Toppings
While I do not normally add any additional toppings to this Christmas Crack recipe when I make it normally, there are some additional toppings that you can add that will keep it amazing but be a tasty twist. Be sure to put the toppings on the Christmas crack right after you spread the melted chocolate. You can totally decorate this Christmas crack to match any holiday that you want.
- Almond slivers
- chopped Pecans
- Sweetened Shredded coconut
- dried cranberries
- dried cherries
- Crushed Candy Canes
What type of Chocolate do you use for Christmas Crack?
I use milk chocolate chips most of the time when I am making Christmas Crack. However if you are adding toppings like dried fruit then I suggest using dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can also use peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips!
What type of Crackers do you use for Christmas Crack?
My preference is Saltines however you can also use graham crackers!
Christmas Crack Flavor Combinations
One of the best things about this easy Christmas dessert recipe aside from it being so easy to make is that you can change the flavors up so much and have a ton of fun getting creative! Here are a few different flavor combinations that you should totally try after you have made the basic Christmas Crack for the first time!
- White Chocolate chips with Crushed Peppermint candy canes.
- Milk chocolate chips with chopped pecans and shredded coconut.
- Dark chocolate chips with almonds and dried cherries
- Peanut Butter chips and milk chocolate chips
- Milk Chocolate chips with Marshmallows and pecans
- Milk Chocolate chips with Marshmallows and M&Ms
How to Store Christmas Crack
You can make this easy Christmas dessert up to 3 days in advance. Store Christmas crack in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Christmas Crack Ingredients
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups chocolate chips (Milk chocolate or dark chocolate)
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse salt
How to Make Christmas Crack
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment-lined foil or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray. Place all of the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat stir the butter and sugar until it comes to a boil.
Once it has come to a boil reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan for the heat and slowly pour the mixture over the crackers and use a non stick spatula carefully spread it across all the crackers.
Place the tray in the oven for 5-6 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
Let it cool for 2 minutes and top it with the chocolate chips.
Once the chocolate starts to melt using a non stick spatula spread it across the whole top of the toffee. Sprinkle the coarse salt on top of the chocolate.
Let the Christmas Crack completely cool then break into smaller pieces.
Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment lined foil or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray. Place all of the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat stir the butter and sugar until it comes to a boil.
- Once it has come to a boil reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan for the heat and slowly pour the mixture over the crackers and use a non stick spatula carefully spread it across all the crackers.
- Place the tray in the oven for 5-6 minutes until it becomes bubbly.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes and top it with the chocolate chips.
- Once the chocolate starts to melt use a non stick spatula spread it across the whole top of the toffee. Sprinkle the coarse salt on top of the chocolate.
- Let the Christmas Crack completely cool then break into smaller pieces.