That cute elf needs to bring a note for the kids! These printable elf notes are perfect for the little elf to bring with him when he comes back from the North Pole each day. There are 30 printable elf notes that you can use with your elf fun! All of these notes are elf sized, so they are perfect for having your Elf bring them for the kids!
If you are new to having an elf be sure to check out the Ultimate Guide to Elf fun.
Printable Elf Notes
When setting up our elf fun each night many times I want to have the elf leave a note. As my kids got older they started recognizing my handwriting so I made these printable elf notes. Not only did they stop the kids from trying to call out my writing but it made things much easier at night. All I had to do was cut out the one I was going to use and set it with the elf.
As you know I am a big fan of Elf on the Shelf, making memories with my kids and being able to help others do the same. Our elf visits each year are just as important as getting the Christmas tree and all of our other Christmas activities that we do.
To make your life easier I made these free printable elf notes that you can download, print, and then use for your elf fun too!
Some of the notes are having the kids do an activity like writing a letter to Santa Claus so the elf can bring it back to the North Pole.
While other notes are about the special treats the elf has brought or the activity that the elf is doing.
During the Christmas season, things get super busy for us moms, and looking for new ideas for the elf every night can get a bit hectic. Be sure to check out all of the Elf on the Shelf Ideas so that you can make your life easier while still enjoying the holiday fun with the kids.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Cute Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 135 Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 25 Simple Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Kitchen Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Dollar Store Elf on the Shelf ideas
- Quick Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Naughty Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Donut Ideas
- Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Toddlers
- Last minute Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 5 Minutes or less elf on the shelf ideas
- Elf ideas with marshmallows
- Elf on the shelf ideas for when you have forgotten
What are elf notes?
These notes are free printable elf props that you can use when setting up your fun elf on shelf ideas each night.
I have made these printable letters and printable elf notes that the elf can bring with them on their days of sharing Christmas magic. There are notes from the elf that are Easy Elf Idea specific and then there are other generic notes that the elf can bring with them to leave for the kids.
These elf on the shelf printable notes are perfect for having your elf leave a note for the kids or send a message to the kids.
Elf ideas for the Notes included
With these elf on the shelf note cards, there are some simple elf on the shelf ideas that you can do. These 30 different elf notes will make it easy for the elf to leave a special note for the kids.
Elf on the Shelf Ideas to go with the Elf Notes
Some of the free elf notes work with specific elf ideas to make your life even easier. Just print out the note, set up with elf with the elf idea instructions and you are good to go.
Elf on the Shelf Fart in a Jar
Place the elf in a glass jar like a mason jar and then leave the note card that says “I farted in here. Wanna smell?”.
Elf hiding in the fridge
Wrap the elf in a towel or washcloth and place them in the fridge, use the Brrr. It’s cold in here note. You can also stick them in the freezer with the same note.
Elf brings back a snowman
It is warm inside, so when the elf brings a snowman you end up with a melted snowman. Have the elf bring a cup of water and use the I brought you back a snowman note.
This is one the kids always love when I do it. Set out a handful of peas with the “I pead note”.
Candy Cane Scavenger Hunt
Hide candy canes in the house and leave the candy cane scavenger hunt note for the kids.
Do you wanna build a Snowman?
Using a large marshmallow and some pretzel sticks build a marshmallow snowman. You can also leave out the same supplies for your kids to build their own marshmallow snowmen and use the note that says “do you want to build a snowman?”
Not a Snack!
This one works great with the pet food. Sit the elf with the pet food and the printable note card.
Let’s Bake Cookies
Have the elf bring all of the baking supplies needed to make some tasty Christmas cookies.
If you are looking for fun themed Christmas cookies to bake with the kids check out some of my kids favorites.
Let’s Bake a treat
Have the elf bring all of the baking supplies needed to make some tasty Christmas treats.
If you are looking for Christmas themed treats to make with the kids check out some of my kids favorites.
Donut You Know I Love You
It is a great way to have the elf bring a treat. Grab a package of donuts and the Donut you know I love you note and you are all set.
Set the elf out with a handful of chocolate kisses and the printable note.
Sorry for the mess
Anytime the elf makes a mess, this note is perfect.
Elf Mess Ideas
- Spilled Cereal. Leave a trail of spilled cereal leading to the elf, who is perched on the cereal box looking guilty.
- Glitter. Leave a trail of glitter leading to the elf, who is surrounded by glitter and holding a glittery sign.
- Pasta Mess. Have the elf trying to cook but making a mess with spilled pasta all over the kitchen counter.
- Jelly Bean Spill. Scatter jelly beans around the elf, making it look like they accidentally knocked over a jar.
- Chocolate Syrup Spill. Put the elf next to an overturned bottle of chocolate syrup with a note saying, “Oops, things got a little sticky!”
- Toothpaste Mess. Squeeze out toothpaste onto a small surface, with the elf holding a toothbrush like they’ve been caught making a mess.
This is a great one to set up and your kids will love it. You simply need flour, large and small marshmallows, your elf, and perhaps one or two other toys that your child loves. Then you simply set the scene
Have the elf bring a new movie and some of the kids favorite movie snacks.
Hot Chocolate Time
Set out a mug, hot chocolate packets and some marshmallows with the little hot chocolate note for an easy elf idea.
Nice and Toasty
Toast 2 pieces of bread and place the elf in between them. Use the “It’s toasty note”.
Floor is Lava
Red and yellow streamers or paper on the floor to look like lava, then place the elf somewhere up high.
Use tiny cups or miniature muffin cups to hold the “poop”. Use different types of candy for each “poop”. Here are some ideas to include in your Elf on the Shelf Poop Museum:
- Snowman Poop. Miniature Marshmallows
- Barbie Poop. Pink Poprocks
- Gingerbread Poop. Mini chocolate chips.
- Mermaid Poop. Purple candy taffy.
- Unicorn Poop. Rainbow marshmallows or rainbow sprinkles.
- Grinch Poop. Green M&Ms
- Leprechaun Poop. Green Peanut M&Ms.
- Cupid Poop. Red M&Ms.
- Elf Poop. Green, red, and white sprinkles.
Making an Elf breakfast or having the elf bring breakfast is a simple elf idea. Elf friends love all things sweet but you can set it up with anything for breakfast. Here are some ideas:
- Elf-sized Pancakes: Make tiny, bite-sized pancakes served with a variety of toppings like berries, chocolate chips, or powdered sugar.
- Fruit Wands: Skewer different fruits like berries, melon balls, and grapes onto a stick to create a magical fruit wand.
- Elf Cereal Bar: Set up a cereal bar with various cereals and toppings. Add small elf-themed decorations or marshmallows.
- Elf Oatmeal: Prepare a pot of oatmeal and use food coloring to make it green. Top it with red berries and a sprinkle of edible glitter.
- Holiday Donuts: Arrange powdered or glazed donuts on a platter, decorating each one with edible glitter or sprinkles in red and green.
- Cinnamon rolls. Christmas tree cinnamon rolls, reindeer cinnamon rolls and Santa cinnamon rolls are great fun breakfast options.
Write a letter to Santa
When it is time for the kids to write a letter to Santa you can have the elf let them know. Grab the Santa letter printable and leave the Santa letter elf note.
Get the Elf Notes
To get the elf notes printable just fill out the form. You will then get an e-mail asking you to confirm and when you click the confirm button the pdf file will open up. Save the file to your computer and then print from your printer. You can print as many times as you want to.
Get the FREE Printable Elf Notes
Elf on the Shelf FAQ
What Is Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf is a popular Christmas tradition that originated from a children’s book of the same name, written by Carol Aebersold and Chanda Bell. The story revolves around a scout elf who is sent by Santa Claus to watch over children during the holiday season and report back to the North Pole each night. The elf then returns to a different spot in the house, allowing the children to find it in a new location every morning.
When does Elf on the Shelf come?
Our Elf first comes on December 1st and leaves on Christmas Eve to go back to the North Pole. In some houses, the elf arrives the day after Thanksgiving. You can pick when you want your elf to arrive.
When Does the Elf go Back to the North Pole?
On Christmas Eve the Elf tags along for the ride in Santa’s sleigh with Santa to head back to the North Pole.
Elf Fun Free Printables
Elf Rules Printable. Help the kids follow the Elf Rules with this FREE Rules Printable. Just print it out and hang it on the fridge!
Naughty or Nice Notice Elf on the Shelf Printable– Need a way to tell the kids if they are on the Naughty or Nice list? Just print it and fill it out and have your elf leave it for the kids!
Elf on the Shelf Tic Tac Toe Game Printable– When you need an idea to keep your elf busy, why not give him a tic tac toe board to play.