Are planning on having an Elf on the Shelf join your family? Are you wondering how to introduce the Elf on the Shelf to your kids? You are in luck! This will help you with everything you need to know on how to introduce Elf on the Shelf and how to start Elf on The Shelf!
How to Start Elf on the Shelf
How to Introduce Elf on the Shelf
- Get an Elf: This is a need. You can get an elf here. Plus you can get TONS of super cute outfits that you can buy for your elf here. You will want to check out these SUPER CUTE Girl Elf on the Shelf Outfits too!
- Pick when you want the Elf to start coming. This can be any time in November or December that your elf comes. But remember they will come daily once you start until Christmas Eve.
- Decide How your Elf is going to make their appearance: For us, On December 1st our elf was waiting for our kids on our dining room table. She was sitting there with matching pajamas for the kids. She also had a special Christmas book I am able to read to them the whole month of December. This is how our elf makes her appearance every year. Ideas on what to have the elf bring are below.
- Write a note to your kids from your elf : Explain in the letter why he/she is coming to their house and what he is going to do. See example Below for a letter the Elf can write to your kids.
- Read the Elf on the Shelf Book: Once your elf arrives read the book to your kids, the book tells the whole story about the Elf. Plus it makes a fun family night activity. My kids also love watching the Elf on the shelf movie that talks about the Elf’s story too. You can add that into the fun as well if you want to.
- Explain the Elf Rules: Make sure you explain to them the rules. For example that they can’t touch the elf or they lose their magic power. Let them know he is watching them and that they need to look for him each day ect. The book that comes with Elf on the Shelf has all the rules in it. 🙂 You can also print out our Elf on the Shelf Rules Printable, and stick it on the fridge to help the kids remember the rules.
- Name Your Elf: Elf on the shelf doesn’t come with a name! It is the kids job to name their elf. Let the kids have fun picking out the elf’s name. Our elf is named George Twinkle!
- Have the Daily Elf Fun get started: After your kids have met their elf, named them and learned about them it is time for the daily elf fun to begin!
When does the Elf on the Shelf come out?
You can have your Elf on the Shelf come out to start the fun whenever you want to. We tend to have our Elf on the Shelf come out after Thanksgiving.
You will also have to decide if your Elf is going to have a pet. Yes there are SUPER cute pets for Elf on the shelf! You can grab the Elf on the Shelf Pet Pack that comes with the Reindeer and Saint Bernard Elf Pets if you can not pick which pet you think your kids would like best!
How to Introduce Elf on the Shelf Ideas
There are lots of things you can have your elf bring with them when you are introducing your kids to Elf on the Shelf. Some things the elf could bring are Pjs, Elf Book, Elf Movie or Holiday socks.
What to do after Introducing Elf on the Shelf
You do NOT need to go crazy every single night! There have been times when things were crazy and George was a little less creative. He ending up hiding in the toilet paper roll, pulling breakfast out or my coffee or just hiding in the pile of stuffed animals. While it’s a TON of fun to see the kids excitement when the elf does something crazy it is not always needed. I have found that just him being here has brought a smile to their face in the morning! Even with my “lazy elf ideas” the kids love it. Make sure you also check out Reasons your Elf Did not move… it might happen sometimes 😉
Elf on the Shelf Ideas:
We have LOTS of elf on the shelf ideas too so make sure you check them out!
Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter:
You can print the FREE Printable Elf on the Shelf letter here – then you don’t have to worry about writing it 🙂
Helpful tips on Elf on the Shelf “issues”
What to say when kids see the Elf in the store
One issue we ran into is that our kids saw the Elf in the hallmark store. While I don’t like to lie to my kids I like the magic to stay alive, so we told them that those elves are knock offs. That they are not the real deal that is filled with the magic and the magic is in the Elf that is just for our house. It worked for us.
What to say if your kids ask why their friends don’t have an elf
We have told ours there is a waitlist for the elves, and that it is long. So they know that not every child will have one because they have to get off the waitlist. This has made it so our kids don’t mention the elf in school and hurt other kids feelings who do not have an elf. It also keeps the magic alive here because no one is telling them its a fake thing or that they don’t have one. My daughter has also told me one of her friends was sad about not having one (I know it is not always in the budget for everyone) and the waitlist helped. My daughter made her feel better by telling her that there is a waitlist for Elves and that maybe she would get off the waitlist soon.
If you are looking for more Christmas fun for kids make sure you check out 16 Kids Christmas Crafts and this HUGE list of Tasty Christmas Treats for kids, they are all things that the Elf can make the kids or bring the kids as activities if you wanted him too!
If your kids have an Elf Reindeer that joins him when your elf comes, there is also this super fun and gross Reindeer Poop Slime that the kids would love to make!
How to Say Goodbye to your Elf on the Shelf
Once it is time for the Elf to go home, you can write a letter to your kids from the elf! Or you can sign up below to get our FREE Elf on the Shelf Printable E-Book that has an exclusive Good-Bye Letter from Elf on the Shelf Printable in it!
If you want to have even more fun you can get Personalized Text Messages each day from Santa!
If you would like to have your Elf on the Shelf Ideas featured on Midgetmomma.com you can! Just send the photos to [email protected] and we will be working on another post to share all of your fun elf adventures!
Get the EXCLUSIVE Good-Bye letter Printable! In this FREE E-book you will get 3 Printables to make your Elf on the Shelf adventure easier! It includes Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter, Elf on The Shelf Rules and Elf on the Shelf Good-Bye Letter. Just fill out the form below! Plus you can also Call Santa for FREE!
Sign up for our Newsletter & Get the FREE Elf on The Shelf Printables E-Book!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email. AND Get your FREE Elf on The Shelf printables e-book when you join our newsletter!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
If you are looking for a totally fun activity to do with the kids, reindeer poop slime is always a BIG hit!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here