Enjoy a fruity and pink variation of the beloved hot cocoa bomb with these tasty strawberry hot chocolate bombs. Joining in on the hot chocolate bomb recipes that we have is this Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe.
Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
We love all types of Hot Cocoa Bombs and we have been making them for years. Not only are they fun to make, but they are also tasty to enjoy and fun to give as gifts too! Everyone in my house loved this strawberry hot chocolate bombs recipe!
Making hot chocolate bombs in all different types of flavors has been one of our favorite things to do when the weather starts to get chilly for the last like 3 years. Are hot chocolate bombs as popular to make as they were a few years ago? No, but they are still an amazing treat to make and they also make the perfect gifts too!
When the weather gets chilly I like to get in the kitchen with the kids, make a few different flavors of hot chocolate bombs so we have them on hand to enjoy when the weather gets cold. Living in the Poconos there is always a guarantee that we are going to have cold and chilly weather that is perfect for enjoying hot chocolate bombs. So I plan ahead and make them so we can enjoy them later.
This year I started a bit early. I love my warm weather but know it will quickly come to an end, so I jumped into prepping hot chocolate bombs ahead of time. This year on the request list was a strawberry hot chocolate bomb. My kids love strawberry milk, more specifically whipped strawberry milk and pink hot chocolate, so Strawberry Pink hot chocolate bombs were added to our list.
I hope that you love these hot chocolate bombs as much as we do. The strawberry hot chocolate was a big hit with my kids. They loved the flavor and my youngest loved that her hot chocolate was pink.
If you are just getting started with making hot chocolate bombs make sure to check out my how to make hot chocolate bombs post with all the information and tips and tricks to making hot chocolate bombs.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
- Santa Hot chocolate Bombs
- Gingerbread house hot chocolate bombs
- Easter Bunny Hot chocolate Bombs
- Heart Shaped hot chocolate bombs
- Unicorn Hot chocolate Bombs
- Peppermint Hot chocolate bombs
What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
Hot chocolate bombs are a fun and simple way to have fun with hot chocolate. It is a sphere of chocolate that you create in 2 half spheres of chocolate with a mold and melted chocolate. Before sealing the chocolate sphere halves, fill them with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and other fillings. The sphere is sealed up and then stored or gifted until enjoyed.
To enjoy, the chocolate ball with hot chocolate powder and other fillings is then placed in a mug, and heated milk is poured over it. The heated milk causes the chocolate sphere to melt, the insides of the hot chocolate bomb to pop open, and then you mix it making a tasty hot chocolate.
You can buy them on Amazon, Etsy, and at local shops however, they are expensive and it is not hard at all to make DIY hot chocolate bombs. It does take a little bit of time and patience to get the hang of it, but you will love how easy it is to make hot chocolate bombs at home once you learn how to.
How to make Hot Chocolate with Hot Chocolate Bombs
Using hot chocolate bombs to make hot chocolate is easy.
- Heat the milk: Pour the desired amount of milk into a saucepan and heat it over medium heat. You can also heat the milk in the microwave for convenience.
- Place the hot chocolate bomb: Select a heat-resistant mug and place the hot chocolate bomb gently at the bottom of the mug.
- Pour the hot milk: Once the milk is sufficiently heated, carefully pour it over the hot chocolate bomb in the mug. Pour it slowly to ensure the chocolate bomb dissolves properly.
- Let it sit: Allow the hot chocolate bomb to melt for a moment. As the chocolate melts, it will release the hot chocolate mix and other fillings contained within it.
- Stir gently: After the hot chocolate bomb has melted, use a spoon to gently stir the mixture. This will ensure that the flavors are fully incorporated and the hot chocolate is thoroughly mixed.
How Much Hot Milk do I need?
Depending on the size of them you will need 1 – 2 cups of milk. For a stronger flavor use less milk, but I suggest never using less than one cup of milk.
How to Store Hot Chocolate Bombs
Once you’ve created your homemade chocolate bombs, be sure to let them fully harden. When they are fully set, store them in an airtight container until you’re ready to enjoy them.
If you intend to give these hot cocoa bombs as a gift, consider wrapping them in plastic wrap or placing them in plastic containers.
How long do hot chocolate bombs last?
Homemade Hot chocolate bombs will be kept for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container in a cool place. You can store them in the fridge if you want to and I suggest doing so if your house is really warm.
Variations of this recipe
Change up the marshmallows. I like using pink strawberry marshmallows but you can use miniature marshmallows or large plain marshmallows.
Add extra decorations. There are a few different ways to add extra decorations to the tops of the hot chocolate bombs.
- Add more chocolate on top. I add a marshmallow on the tops of mine but you can add some chocolate drizzle using melted white candy melts or melted white chocolate chips.
- Add Sprinkles. If you want to get fancy add some sparkly sprinkles or if you are making them for a holiday like Valentine’s Day add themed sprinkles on top. Be sure to add the sprinkles on top after you have drizzled melted chocolate or candy melts on top so they stick.
- Freeze dried strawberries. You can add some freeze dried strawberries on top of the chocolate drizzle for an extra decoration.
- Change up the flavor hot chocolate. For this strawberry hot chocolate I like to use Strawberry Nesquick but you can also use strawberry hot chocolate or white hot chocolate, just be sure that you are using the powder mix.
Tips for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs
Make sure the chocolate is melted thoroughly. You want to make sure the chocolate is smoothly melted before you use it in the chocolate molds. You can microwave per the directions on the package or melt the chocolate with a double boiler.
Allow chocolate to harden fully. While you might be impatient like myself, when you are placing the chocolate in the freezer to harden back up it is important. You need to let it fully harden or you will have issues removing it from the molds, and you will have issues with the chocolate bombs falling apart.
Use good quality chocolate. Using chocolate melts is the easiest way to go but using a higher quality chocolate will give you a better hot chocolate flavor. If you are wanting a rich and deep chocolate flavor then stick with areal chocolate over candy melts.
Use the right type of mold. If you are using chocolate then you can use acrylic molds or silicone molds, if you are using candy melts then it is a must to use silicone molds.
How do I make the edges smooth so I can close the cocoa bombs up?
If the edges of the chocolate cups are not even, heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the heated plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup and even it out. Repeat with all of the chocolate cups, as necessary.
What mold is best for making hot chocolate bombs?
You can use silicone molds, acrylic molds, or metal molds. I think that using silicone molds is better because it’s basically foolproof. You can really use any size that you want to and some molds in different shapes can be used as well.
I prefer using the smaller spheres when I am making them for the kids, but when I am gifting them I like to use the larger spheres because I can fill them with more hot cocoa and fun fillings.
If you are using candy melts when making easy hot chocolate bombs, then you will have to use silicone molds instead of using acrylic molds. If you are using melted chocolate then you can use either type of mold to make hot chocolate bombs.
What Supplies do I need to make Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Silicone sphere molds. These molds are essential for creating the spherical shape of the hot chocolate bombs. This is the mold that I use.
Small spoon. Use a spoon to coat the molds evenly with melted chocolate. You will need a small spoon to fill the molds with the hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows.
Microwave-safe bowl. To melt the candy melts you will need a bowl that you can use in the microwave.
Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe Ingredients
Strawberry Flavored Candy Melts. To get the strawberry-flavored hot cocoa bomb shell strawberry flavored candy melts are used.
Strawberry Marshmallows. I personally prefer using the strawberry marshmallows but you can use mini marshmallows, large marshmallows cut in half, or mini marshmallows as well.
How to Make Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
This Recipe makes 6 hot chocolate bombs. Each mold makes 6 half spheres, you will either need to have 2 molds or make one set of 3 hot chocolate bombs and then make the other 3 when the first set is completed.
Pour strawberry candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package. I do mine in 30-second increments for the best results.
Add the melted strawberry candy melts into each sphere mold and repeat with each spot of the sphere mold cavities. Reserve the remaining melted chocolate.
Place the chocolate-filled spheres into the freezer to harden. Remove the molds from the freezer and remove the chocolate half spheres. Smooth the opening edges if needed.
Fill 6 of the strawberry chocolate spheres with the strawberry milk drink powder and a strawberry marshmallow.
Heat a small plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate sphere halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
Press the 2 half spheres together. This will join the two halves to form the hot cocoa bomb, you want to make sure that the seam between the 2 pieces is closed completely.
With the reserved chocolate, reheat to melt completely if needed. Add the melted chocolate to a piping bag, pastry bag, or a ziplock bag and cut one of the corners off to form a small hole.
Then pipe a little bit of the melted chocolate on top of each hot cocoa bomb and immediately place a strawberry marshmallow on top of the bomb.
Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Hot chocolate cookies
- Whipped hot chocolate
- Hot Chocolate Spoons
- Marshmallow hot chocolate cups
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- Keto hot Chocolate
- Halloween Hot Chocolate
- Italian Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker hot chocolate
- Starbucks Hot Chocolate
- Peppermint Hot chocolate spoons
Strawberry Hot Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
- 2 cups Strawberry Flavored Candy Melts
- 12 tablespoons Strawberry Milk Mix
- 12 Strawberry Marshmallows
- Pour strawberry candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package. I do mine in 30-second increments for the best results.
- Add melted strawberry candy melts into each sphere mold spot and using the bottom of a tablespoon measuring spoon or a pastry brush, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even.
- Repeat with each spot of the sphere mold cavities. Reserve the remaining melted chocolate.
- Place the chocolate-filled spheres into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the freezer and gently peel the silicone away from the candy melt cups.
- If the edges of the chocolate cups are not even, heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the heated plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup and even it out. Repeat with all of the chocolate cups, as necessary.
- Fill 6 of the strawberry chocolate spheres with 2 tablespoons of strawberry milk drink powder and a strawberry marshmallow.
- Heat a small plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate sphere halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed-edge of the strawberry chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves to form the hot cocoa bomb, you want to make sure that the seam between the 2 pieces is closed completely.
- With the reserved chocolate, reheat to melt completely if needed. Add the melted chocolate to a piping bag, pastry bag, or a ziplock bag and cut one of the corners off to form a small hole. Then pipe a little bit of the melted chocolate on top of each hot cocoa bomb and immediately place a strawberry marshmallow on top of the bomb.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
Viral Tik Tok Recipes you will love
Lots of hot recipes are popping up on Tik Tok that are so much fun and super tasty to make.
Olive Garden Chicken. Dump it all in the crockpot and let it cook, then mix with pasta for a chicken crockpot recipe the whole family will love.
Whipped Strawberry milk. Strawberry milk taken up a notch, whipped and beautiful while having the most amazing strawberry milk flavor.
Smoked Queso. Easy to make queso that is cheesy and delicious and made on the grill!
Whipped Matcha. Easy to make matcha latte that is not only beautiful but tasty to drink!
Whipped Hot Chocolate. Hot chocolate gets even better when it is whipped into a beautiful drink!
Dalgona Coffee. Coffee is life for me and it is even more fun when it is whipped coffee, hot or cold!
Keto Dalgona Coffee. The keto version of the hot trending viral coffee that is perfect for anyone on a low carb or keto diet.
Mocha Dalgona Coffee. Making whipped coffee even better, with coffee, hot chocolate and heavy cream being the only ingredients you need!