There is something so warming about the spices you get from gingerbread cookies. I figured on our unusual cold mornings we been having lately and a nice bowl of gingerbread oatmeal would be extra warming. It is also oh so tasty! This Gingerbread Oatmeal would make a great Christmas morning breakfast too!
Tip for Making Homemade Oatmeal:
If you’ve never made oatmeal from scratch you will never need to buy those silly packets that are full of sugar again. You’re able to change it out and add things to your personal taste. This recipe feeds two people but you can easily cut the recipe in half or double the recipe to suit the needs of your family.
Just make sure you keep stirring the oatmeal to prevent it from sticking to the bottom and burning.
You are going to want to have old fashion oats on hand to make this recipe. I like to buy a big bag of them so I can make all the oatmeal that I want to. My favorite brand to use is Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Regular Rolled Oats, you can use your favorite but I find the Bob’s Red Mill brand the favorite of mine. I buy the box on Amazon that has 4 of the BIG bags in it and it lasts us for quite a while. 🙂
Whenever I make this Gingerbread oatmeal, it also puts me in the mood to make my favorite Gingerbread cookies! Just a warning for you. 🙂
Gingerbread Oatmeal Ingredients
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Gingerbread Oatmeal Directions
- Combine the water, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and brown sugar together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low heat. Let it cook until almost all the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Place your oatmeal into bowls and top with milk and syrup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here