Everyone will love this easy to make saltine cracker candy, often called Christmas Crack. This easy treat combines salty and sweet flavors combined with crunchy, and chewy textures. With only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make it is the perfect recipe to make for Christmas!
Christmas Crack Recipe (Saltine Cracker Candy)
I have to be 100% honest with you the first time I heard about this recipe I was in disbelief that the combination of ingredients was going to result in something that even remotely tasted good.
The first time I had Christmas Crack was when my sister-in-law made it. My original thought as she was making it was that there was no way this recipe was going to work. I also did not imagine there was any way it was going to taste good at all. When I told my sister-in-law this she just laughed and said I needed to try it. I was hesitant and not on board with taking a bit of this creation she was calling a dessert. However, to please her I took a bite. Then on my own, I took a few more bites, and soon after I realized I had devoured every piece that she had put on my plate.
The combination of sweet and salty with the chocolate and the crackers is a combination that is amazing. This saltine cracker candy takes less than 20 minutes to make and in the end you have a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy.
This recipe is a must-make to put on the cookie tray or the dessert table for Christmas dinner.
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Pretzel Toffee
- Hot Chocolate Spoons
- Christmas Oreo
- Christmas Oreo
- no spread sugar cookies
- Gingerbread cookies
- Christmas Tree sugar cookies
- Christmas Pinwheel cookies
- Christmas tree Meringue cookies
What is Christmas Crack?
Christmas crack is made with saltine crackers, chocolate, butter, and brown sugar. It is so amazing, that you don’t get the favor of the saltines. You get the crunchy texture and salty flavor. It’s the same thing as a chocolate covered pretzel but sooo much better.
The base of the recipe is made with crackers, which is where the “crack” part of the name comes from.
The brown sugar and butter are melted and simmered to make caramel. The caramel is poured over the crackers and then baked in the oven for a few minutes. Then comes the chocolate layer which is made with chocolate chips, and then the melted chocolate is spread. Lastly the toppings of your choice are sprinkled on top.
The greatest thing about this is how easy it is to make! You don’t have to worry about tempering any chocolate or needing a candy thermometer. I love making all sorts of holiday treats and I don’t mind the complicated ones, but sometimes I want super easy and super tasty!
What are other names for this recipe?
“Christmas crack” is what we call this sweet and addictive holiday treat, but it does have other names you may have heard it referred to as. Those include:
- Cracker Candy
- Toffee Bark
- Saltine Toffee
- Cracker Toffee
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- Saltine Cracker Candy
- Saltine Sweeties
- Christmas Toffee
- Holiday Bark
- Christmas cracker candy
Christmas Crack Toppings
One of the great things about this recipe is you can change it up and add additional toppings. The topping options are just about unlimited when you are making saltine cracker candy. For Christmas time I like to use Christmas sprinkles and sometimes Christmas colored M&Ms but during the year when I make this, I change things up. Here are some yummy topping ideas:
- chopped nuts. Almond slivers, chopped pecans and chopped walnuts are great options.
- Sweetened Shredded coconut
- dried cranberries
- dried cherries
- Crushed Candy Canes
What type of Chocolate do you use for Christmas Crack?
I use milk chocolate chips most of the time when I am making Christmas Crack. You can use milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate chips, it all depends on your toppings and preference.
However, if you are adding toppings like dried fruit then I suggest using dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can also use peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips!
What type of Crackers do you use for Christmas Crack?
For this Christmas Crack recipe you can use different types of crackers if that is what you have on hand.
- Saltine Crackers
- Graham Crackers
- Club Crackers
- Ritz Crackers
Christmas Crack Flavor Combinations
One of the best things about this easy Christmas dessert recipe aside from it being so easy to make is that you can change the flavors up so much and have a ton of fun getting creative!
Here are a few different flavor combinations that you should try after you have made the basic Christmas Crack for the first time!
- White Chocolate chips with Crushed Peppermint candy canes.
- Milk chocolate chips with chopped pecans and shredded coconut.
- Dark chocolate chips with almonds and dried cherries
- Peanut Butter chips and milk chocolate chips
- Milk Chocolate chips with Marshmallows and pecans
- Milk Chocolate chips with Marshmallows and M&Ms
Variations of this recipe
On top of changing up the type of chocolate you are using and the toppings there are some other ways that you can change up this recipe.
Add a chocolate drizzle. After the toppings have been added, add a drizzle of melted chocolate of a different type than you use on top.
Add multiple toppings. You can add multiple toppings at the same time.
How to Store Christmas Crack
Store the Christmas Crack in an airtight container at room temperature. This prevents it from absorbing moisture and keeps it crunchy. If you’re stacking multiple layers, place parchment paper or wax paper between the layers to prevent sticking.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes! If stored at room temperature it will keep for up to 3 days. If stored in the fridge it will keep for up to 2 weeks and you can store it in the freezer for up to 4 months.
How to Freeze Christmas Crack
You can freeze Christmas Crack by placing it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Make sure it’s well sealed to prevent freezer burn. Thaw it at room temperature before serving.
Christmas Crack Ingredients
- Saltine crackers. If your baking sheet is smaller then you will not want to add more on top, just use enough crackers to fill the whole baking sheet.
- butter. Salted butter is best to use, you can use unsalted if that is what you have on hand.
- brown sugar. When measuring be sure the measuring cup is packed.
- Chocolate chips. You can use Milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Coarse salt. Sea salt or any larger chunk salt is best to use.
How to Make Christmas Crack
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
Place all of the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet. You will want to use a large sheet pan, if using a smaller one then you will want to use 2 baking sheets.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat stir the butter and sugar until it comes to a boil.
Once it has come to a boil reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and use a nonstick spatula to carefully spread it across all the crackers.
Place the tray in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes, keep an eye on it, when it starts bubbling when you want to remove it from the oven.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
Once the chocolate starts to melt using a nonstick spatula spread the melted chocolate across the whole top of the toffee in a thin layer.
Sprinkle the coarse salt on top of the chocolate and add any of the toppings that you are wanting to add.
Let the Christmas Crack completely cool then break into smaller pieces or use a knife to cut even pieces.
Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes
Christmas Crack Recipe (saltine cracker candy)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Place all of the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet. You will want to use a large sheet pan, if using a smaller one then you will want to use 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat stir the butter and sugar until it comes to a boil.
- Once it has come to a boil reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and use a nonstick spatula to carefully spread it across all the crackers.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes, keep an eye on it, when it starts bubbling when you want to remove it from the oven.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
- Once the chocolate starts to melt using a nonstick spatula spread the melted chocolate across the whole top of the toffee in a thin layer.
- Sprinkle the coarse salt on top of the chocolate and add any of the toppings that you are wanting to add.
- Let the Christmas Crack completely cool then break into smaller pieces.