Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe. A fun and tasty twist on the classic no bake cereal bar treat. These Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats are soft and chewy with the sweet flavor of butterscotch.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
I love rice krispie treats and I love making them for the kids. They are one of our favorite quick to make desserts and we make them often. A lot of times we want to get creative with the flavors and our most recent creation is this Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe.
Soft rice krispie treats with a hint of butterscotch make for the perfect homemade rice krispies. You and your family are going to love them and I am pretty sure they might become your favorite rice krispie treat variation for when you want to change things up!
Tips for Making The Best Rice Krispie Treats
Do not pack the cereal and marshmallow mixture into the pan. To achieve soft, and chewy while being crispy marshmallow rice krispie treats you want to be gentle when pressing the mixture into your baking pan.
Use a silicone spatula. I find it best to use a silicone spatula or spoon and spray it generously with non stick spray. Then I gently spread with out pushing down hard, the cereal and marshmallow mixture into my baking dish. This gives the perfect rice krispie treats with out them being hard.
Use a large bowl. Make sure to use a bowl big enough for the 6 cups of cereal when melting the marshmallows to reduce the number of dishes used.
Be gentle when pressing cereal mixture into glass baking dish. You do not want to press hard, you want to be gentle and you want to be soft when you are pressing the mixture into the baking dish.
Use fresh marshmallows. It is super important that you use fresh marshmallows when making rice crispy treats or you will end up with hard krispy treats and not soft and chewy treats that you love.
Use a greased spatula. The cereal and marshmallow mixture is sticky when you remove it from the pot to put it into the baking dish, so using a greased spatula will make things much easier.
How do you prevent sticking to the pan when making rice krispie treats?
When you are making these line your baking dish with greased parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper on hand make sure you grease your baking dish well. I use nonstick baking spray to grease my baking dishes and parchment paper.
Tips for Cutting Rice Krispie Treats
- Cutting down the middle first both length and width wise will help get nice and even sized pieces.
- Use a Sharp knife.
- Don’t cut them to soon, allow them to cool a bit.
How to store Rice Krispie Treats
You can store them in an airtight container right out at room temperature for about three days. If you need to extend their life, you can place them in the fridge for up to five days.
Can I freeze Rice Krispie treats?
Yes! These treats can also be frozen. Simply place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, once frozen, place in a zip loc bag. They can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Why are my Rice Krispie treats hard?
The biggest culprit of hard rice Krispie treats is using stale marshmallows, it is important to use fresh soft marshmallows.
How do you make Rice Krispie Treats soft again?
If your rice Krispie treats are hard then you can put them in an airtight container with a piece of bread and let them sit overnight and the bread will pull the moisture from them making them soft again.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe Ingredients
- Coconut oil spray or your prefered nonstick cooking spray.
- Unsalted butter. If you don’t have unsalted butter you can use salted butter, but you will want to leave out the additional salt.
- Mini marshmallows. Make sure they are fresh, if you use stale or old marshmallows you will end up with hard rice krispie treats.
- vanilla extract. You can use store bought but I prefer to use homemade vanilla extract.
- butterscotch extract
- Rice Krispies cereal
- soft caramels, each chopped into 4 pieces
- Sprinkles. I like adding sprinkles on top of mine but you can leave them off if you want to.
How to Make Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with 2 pieces of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides. Lightly spray the inside with coconut oil spray.
Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Once it starts to melt, add the marshmallows and cook until they’re about 3/4 of the way melted, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, butterscotch extract, and salt.
Pour the Rice Krispies cereal into a large bowl. Pour the marshmallow mixture on top, and stir to combine.
Stir in the chopped caramel.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and use an oiled spatula to spread it out evenly.
Add sprinkles on top if adding them.
Rice Krispie treat recipes
- Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie treats
- M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Covered Rice Krispies
- Snowball Rice Krispie
- Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie
- Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie treats
- Christmas Tree Rice Krispie Treats
- Christmas tree rice krispie
- Pumpkin spice rice krispie treats
- White Chocolate Pecan rice Krispie treats
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Coconut oil spray
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butterscotch extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/3 cup soft caramels each chopped into 4 pieces
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with 2 pieces of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides. Lightly spray the inside with coconut oil spray.
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it starts to melt, add the marshmallows and cook until they’re about 3/4 of the way melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, butterscotch extract, and salt.
- Pour the Rice Krispies cereal into a large bowl. Pour the marshmallow mixture on top, and stir to combine. Stir in the chopped caramel.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and use an oiled spatula to spread it out evenly.
Leave A Reply!