If you’re looking for a fun and creative way to enjoy your favorite cocktail, Watermelon Slices Jello Shots are the perfect solution! These cute and tasty little treats are made by combining watermelon flavored gelatin mix with vodka or clear rum and setting it inside hollowed-out watermelon rinds. The result is a refreshing and boozy snack that’s perfect for parties or just a fun night with friends. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be able to whip up a batch of Watermelon Slices Jello Shots in no time!
Watermelon Slice Jello Shots Recipe
Summer is almost here and I am counting down the days until where every day is a warm summer day. Watermelon is something we always have on hand during the summer and a snack we all enjoy. For my kids, I make my watermelon jello recipe with the empty watermelon shell but I wanted to make something fun for the adults to enjoy whenever we have a summer get-together so I came up with this Spiked Watermelon Jello Shots recipe.
This boozy treat is so easy to make and at the end of a hot summer day when you are hanging out with friends watermelon shots are perfect! The kids enjoy their watermelon Jello, while the adults enjoy theirs and it is the perfect end to a fun summer day.
Cool treats for summer
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Cupcakes
- Easy Ice Cream Cake
- Unicorn Ice Cream
- Shortbread cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
How to Serve Watermelon Jello Shots
You can serve this watermelon Jello in a few different ways depending on how you want to.
- Slice and serve. Slice the watermelon rind filled with set jello into slices to have an easy to hold boozy treat.
- In a bowl. Scoop from the watermelon bowl and serve in a bowl with whipped cream and a few chocolate chips to make a boozy watermleon jello dessert.
Tips & Variations for Making this recipe
Allow Jello to set fully. You need the jello to set fully so that it is the perfect jiggly jello the kids love. You also need it to be fully set so you can slice it and make watermelon jello slices.
Use a seedless watermelon. Seedless watermelon is always easier to serve with kids because you do not have to worry about
Change up the Jello. I use strawberry or watermelon jello so it matches the color of watermelon, but you can totally change up the flavor that you use.
Use a melon baller. If you are wanting to use the melon in a fruit salad from the watermelon then it is best to use a melon baller to make watermelon balls.
Use a large bowl. It is easiest to make the jello mixture in a large bowl and then pour it into the watermelon bowl.
How long does it take Jello to set?
It takes Jello 3 hours to fully set. I like to leave mine in the fridge for at least 3 hours, but many times leave it to set for 4 hours just to be sure.
How do you know when Jello is set?
You can tell that Jello is finished setting when it jiggles but only a little bit. If the jello looks runny let it set in the fridge for a bit more time.
How to Store Watermelon Jello
After the Jello is set, store it in an airtight container or a glass dish and cover it with plastic wrap. It will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze Jello?
No. Jello can not be stored in the freezer. In fact, putting Jello in the freezer will actually reduce its life span of it making it spoil sooner.
How Much Vodka Can I Use?
You will need 12 cups of water/liquid to set the Jello. I suggest using 1 cup of vodka for every 5 cups of cold water. If you want it boozier then you can up the vodka to 2 cups and use 4 cups of cold water. If you want it less boozy then you can lower the amount of vodka and up the amount of water that you use.
Watermelon Jell-O Shots Ingredients
- Seedless watermelon. You want to use a small watermelon for the best results. You will be scooping the insides watermelon and leaving just the watermelon rind empty to fill with the Jell-O mixture.
- Watermelon Jell-O. My favorite to use is Jolly Rancher gelatin.
- Water. You will need cold water and boiling water to make the jello.
- Vodka. I like using vodka but you can also use rum. When using vodka I like to use watermelon flavored but you can use just about any flavor that you want.
- Chocolate chips. Optional but if you would like it to look like there are watermelon seeds in the slice then you can add some chocolate chips.
How to Make Watermelon Jell-O Shots
Cut the watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife to carefully cut around the red part of the watermelon to loosen it up.
Then with a spoon scoop out the flesh of the watermelon. Prepare the jell-o according to the box.
In a large mixing bowl add the Jell-O powder and the boiling water and mix well to combine.
Then add the cold water to the gelatin mixture and whisk mixture until well combined, then add in the vodka and mix well.
Pour the Jello mixture into the watermelon rinds. Be sure to divide mixture evenly between each side of the watermelon. Add Chocolate chips if desired.
Place the watermelon into the refrigerator to set up for 3 hours.
Once the Jell-O is set up cut the watermelon into wedges or slices using a sharp knife.
- Watermelon Juice
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Watermelon Fruit Salad
- Fruit Infused water
- Watermelon Ice Cubes
Watermelon Slices Jello Shots
- 1 small Seedless watermelon
- 3 6 ounce boxes Watermelon Jell-O.
- 5 cups cold Water
- 1 cup vodka
- 6 cups boiling water
- Cut the watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife to carefully cut around the red part of the watermelon to loosen it up.
- Then with a spoon scoop out the flesh of the watermelon. Prepare the jell-o according to the box.
- In a large mixing bowl add the Jell-O powder and the boiling water and mix well to combine.
- Then add the cold water to the gelatin mixture and whisk mixture until well combined, then add in the vodka and mix well.
- Pour the Jello mixture into the watermelon rinds. Be sure to divide mixture evenly between each side of the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon into the refrigerator to set up for 3 hours.
- Once the Jell-O is set up cut the watermelon into wedges or slices using a sharp knife. Cut each watermelon half in half and then each 1/4 into 4 pieces