This Fruit Lasagna Icebox Cake is an easy no-bake dessert that’s perfect for summer! With strawberries and blueberries, it makes the perfect red white and blue dessert for 4th of July and Memorial Day picnics too!
Fruit Lasagna Frozen Ice Box Cake
Have you ever experienced one of those HOT summer days where you’re just dying for something sweet but refuse to turn on the oven and heat up the house even more? That seems to be a regular occurrence in my house – if it’s not my sweet tooth kicking in, it’s my husband’s or one (or all) of the kids begging for dessert.
On those days, this Fruit Lasagna Ice Box Cake saves the day! It’s quick and easy to pull together (though it does need to refrigerate for a few hours) and everyone will love you if you bring it to a party or BBQ!
Not only do my kids love eating this no-bake dessert, they also love helping me make it. It’s a fun activity for them to assemble the different layers and I don’t have to worry about them burning themselves on the oven. Even the young kids can help out with this easy summer dessert.
This berry icebox cake is made with fresh strawberries and blueberries. Not only is it great for the sweet tooth but it’s also a great way to get in some extra fruits. As a bonus, it’s a budget-friendly dessert as long as you make it in the summer when strawberries and blueberries are plentiful and in-season!
While we certainly make this fruit lasagna throughout the summer, the red, white and blue colors make it perfect for summer holidays like Memorial Day and the 4th of July! It’s great because you can have a festive dessert with no extra work on your part!
No Bake Summer Recipes
- No Bake Chocolate Lasagna
- Air Fryer S’mores
- Chocolate Drizzled Marshmallow Pops
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Dessert Lasagna
What is an Icebox Cake?
Icebox cakes are a classic dessert that first became popular in the 1930’s! They are typically no-bake desserts made with layers of wafers, Graham crackers or Oreos (as in this recipe), whipped topping, and berries, jams and/or syrups. Instead of baking, they’re placed in the fridge for several hours where the cookies/crackers soften and the layers settle.
They make an easy no-bake summer dessert when you need something quick and easy that won’t heat up the oven!
Can I Make This In Advance?
This berry icebox cake must be made at least for hours in advance. It’s essential to give time for the wafers or Oreos to absorb the moisture of the other ingredients and soften so you can easily slice before serving.
I tend to make this the evening before serving or in the morning if it will be for dessert. A berry icebox cake will last for up to 3 days in the fridge, so I recommend making in a day or two days in advance, at most. After that, the cookie layer will be a little too soft.
Can This Be Frozen?
This Fruit Lasagna should not be frozen, just placed in the fridge. Freezing it will make this dessert mushy and watery.
Can I Use Other Fruits?
While I love the ease of using a combination of strawberries and blueberries, you can easily make fruit lasagna with other preferred fruits. Berries are ideal because other fruits like bananas may spoil or turn unappealing colors quickly, while berries will last for several days in the fridge. Blackberries and raspberries are great alternatives to strawberries and blueberries (or use them all for even more flavor variety!)
Fruit Lasagna Frozen Ice Box Cake Ingredients
- 1 package of Vanilla Oreo’s
- 1 large container of Cool Whip
- 1 box vanilla pudding prepared following the box directions.
- 12 ounce Strawberry Jam
- 4 cups fresh Blueberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries washed, hulled, and cut in half.
How to Make Fruit Lasagna Ice Box Cake
Get out a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
Next you are going to be putting together your layers.
First layer..Vanilla Oreo’s..place the whole cookie side by side filling the entire bottom of the dish.
Second layer..Spoon a layer of cool whip. (cover the entire first layer)
Third layer.. Spoon a layer of prepared vanilla pudding covering the layer of cool whip.
Fourth layer..Top the vanilla pudding with a layer of strawberry jam covering corner to corner of the pudding.
Fifth layer..Spoon a layer of Cool Whip over the strawberry jam.
Sixth layer.. start with a row of strawberries, next a row of blueberries,Alternate with rows of strawberries and blueberries until the baking dish is covered.
When this is completed place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it.
Red, White and Blue Desserts
- Red, White and Blue Layered Slushie Drink
- Red, White and Blue Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Red, White and Blue Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
- Red White and Blue M&M Cookies
- American Flag Layer Cake
- Strawberry Blueberry Trifle
Strawberry Blueberry Fruit Lasagna Frozen Ice Box Cake
- Get out a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Next you are going to be putting together your layers.
- First layer..Vanilla Oreo’s..place the whole cookie side by side filling the entire bottom of the dish.
- Second layer..Spoon a layer of cool whip. (cover the entire first layer)
- Third layer.. Spoon a layer of prepared vanilla pudding covering the layer of cool whip.
- Fourth layer..Top the vanilla pudding with a layer of strawberry jam covering corner to corner of the pudding.
- Fifth layer..Spoon a layer of Cool Whip over the strawberry jam.
- Sixth layer.. start with a row of strawberries, next a row of blueberries. .—- —- Alternate with rows of strawberries and blueberries until the baking dish is covered.
- When this is completed place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it.