This Sweet Potato pie recipe is the best sweet potato pie to make just because you want dessert or holiday dessert. This sweet potato pie is a southern classic, and while pumpkin pie is normally seen as the “it” pie for Thanksgiving dinner, don’t skip out on this southern classic! You will love making a sweet potato pie from scratch once you see how easy it is.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
For many years I skipped over the homemade sweet potato pie when making pies for holiday desserts. Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite pie, followed by apple pie. However, there is just something so amazing about a sweet potato pie.
This simple sweet potato pie from scratch recipe is a southern classic and one that should be at the dessert table. Once you make it and serve it the first time, the family is going to be asking you to make it again and again.
Sweet potatoes have always been a part of our holiday meal, weather I am making classic sweet potato casserole, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, or microwaved baked sweet potatoes. But I changed things up one year and made this sweet potato pie and everyone loved it.
If you are like me when you hear sweet potato pie you think that it is going to be very difficult to make a sweet potato pie from scratch. You will be happy to know that making this recipe for southern sweet potato pie from scratch is just as easy as making a homemade pumpkin pie or any other fruit pie you are normally going to make.
This simple sweet potato pie recipe is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table or any holiday table this holiday season. If you are looking for more holiday dessert pie recipes, be sure to check out some of our favorites!
Dessert Pie Recipes
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Low Carb Crustless pumpkin pie
- The best homemade pumpkin pie recipe
- Sweet potato pie with marshmallow meringue topping
- Boston Cream Pie
- Easy Cherry Pie
- Blueberry Pie
- maple pumpkin pie
- Homemade Cherry Pie
Make The Holiday Easier!
What Does Sweet Potato Pie Taste like?
Deliciousness! If you love sweet potato casserole then you will love Sweet Potato pie. Sweet potato pie tastes similar to pumpkin pie, but with a different texture and is more flavorful.
Sweet potato pie is fluffy compared to pumpkin pie and the flavors are by far more intense (but in a fantastic way!). This sweet potato pie from scratch recipe has an amazing rich flavor, while being fluffy and is baked in the perfect buttery flaky crust that makes for the perfect dessert pie.
Tips for Making Sweet Potato Pie
Allow the pie to cool. It is important that you allow the pie to cool completely before storing or serving.
Use cold water. It is important to use cold water when you are making the cherry pie filling and when you are making the butter pie crust.
Use a sharp knife. When you are cutting the pie crust from the edge of the pie dish it is much easier to do when you are using a sharp knife.
Use a 9 inch pie plate. This pie bakes best in a 9 inch pie pan.
Tips for making homemade pie crust
If you have never made a homemade pie crust it is really easy to do, check out how to make a pie crust for all the tips and tricks for making the best flaky pie crust.
Do not overwork the dough. This will add extra warmth to the butter that is in it and will make for a runny dough.
Make sure the ingredients are very cold. Using warm ingredients will give you a very unstable crust that will also not bake properly in the oven.
Always roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface. If you do not use a floured surface then you will end up with a doughy mess when it sticks to the surface you are rolling it out on.
Use a pastry cutter. If you don’t own a pastry cutter you can use your hands however I suggest spending the money on one. It makes life so much easier.
Clean work surface. It is important to have a clean work surface when you are making the pie crust, you do not want to get anything stuck to the bottom of the crust or into the dough when you are making it.
Homemade or Store bought pie Crust?
There are a few different pie crusts that work with this amazing homemade sweet potato pie recipe, store bought refrigerated crust, food processor pie crust or homemade pie crust.
If you are using homemade pie crust or a store bought refrigerated crust then this pie recipe will make 1 pie.
If you are wanting a thicker pie crust then I suggest you make the homemade pie crust when making this southern sweet potato pie recipe. If you are using refrigerated pie crust to make it and want a thick pie crust then you will want to double up the pie crust when you put it in the pie plate.
How to Boil Sweet Potatoes
You will need fresh sweet potatoes for this homemade sweet potato pie recipe and you will need to boil them. If you have never boiled sweet potatoes it is super easy!
Just get a large pot to add the sweet potatoes in and then add enough water to cover them completely. Cover the pot with a lid and then place the pot on high heat on the stove.
Bring the water to a boil and once it has started boiling let the sweet potatoes boil for 15 minutes.
Check to see if they are soft by piercing them with a fork or knife. If they are not soft then let them boil for another 5-10 minutes.
Once done boiling use a strainer and drain the water and sweet potatoes, put the sweet potatoes back into the pot, and mash.
Do I have to boil the sweet potatoes?
The sweet potatoes need to be cooked for this homemade sweet potato pie recipe. You can bake sweet potatoes, or cook sweet potatoes in the microwave however, I find it easier to boil them when making this homemade sweet potato pie recipe.
How long to bake sweet potato pie?
Bake this southern sweet potato pie recipe at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
How to Know when the Sweet Potato Pie is Done
The best sweet potato pie recipe may take less time on your oven (depends on your oven). Check the pie at the 45 minute mark, if the pie jiggles in the middle the Pie is done, and if the pie sloshes put the pie back into the oven to cook longer checking every 10 minutes to make sure you do not over bake the pie. If you see the pie crust getting dark, add tinfoil around the edges of the pie crust to avoid it burning.
How to Serve Sweet Potato Pie
It is best to serve pie at room temperature or warm.
There are a few different ways that you can serve this easy sweet potato pie. While it tastes amazing on its own sweet potato pie is also delicious when served with whipped cream, toasted marshmallow fluff, homemade ice cream, and homemade caramel sauce.
How to Store Sweet Potato Pie
If you are going to be making this pie in advance you will need to store it. To store sweet potato pie you need to cool it to room temperature and then keep it in the fridge. Just wrap it with plastic wrap loosely and then keep it in the fridge. Be sure to allow the sweet potato pie to cool completely on the counter before placing it in the fridge.
How long does sweet potato pie last?
It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you are freezing sweet potato pie it will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can I freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes! You can freeze sweet potato pie after it has been baked to enjoy later. Bake the pie and then allow it to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place in an airtight container or a zip close freezer bag. Sweet potato pie will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat a frozen sweet potato pie
Remove the pie from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw. Once the pie is thawed you can reheat the pie in the oven at 300°F for 30 minutes.
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
- homemade pie crust
- 1 pound sweet potatoes Boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
Make the homemade pie crust and then put the pie crust in the fridge. If you are using a store bought pie crust leave it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
While the pie crust is cooling in the fridge put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and boil for 20 minutes or until they are soft. You will know they are doing boiling when you can stick a knife in them. Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and then allow them to cool a bit. Use a peeler and remove the sweet potato skins.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Add the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes until they are smooth.
Add the lemon juice, butter, white sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, flour, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground clovers and ground ginger and mix well until everything is combined.
Once the sweet potato pie filling is done remove the pie crust from the fridge. If you are using a homemade pie crust, Place it on a clean area with a sprinkle of flour. Roll the pie crust out so that is is large enough to fit in the pie plate.
Place the pie crust into the pie plate and then Crimp edges of the pie crust using your knuckle and finger tips or use a fork to create a pattern around.
Pour the sweet potato pie filling into the unbaked pie crust.
Bake pie for 50-55 minutes, the cook time will depend on your oven. Check the pie at the 20 minute mark to see how the flaky pie crust is baking, if the top is getting brown quickly, add aluminum foil around it to keep it from burning while the pie finishes baking. You can also use a pie shield to keep the crust from burning while it is baking.
Remove the baked pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Easy Holiday Recipes
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Green beans with bacon
- Cheesy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Sweet potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- Make the homemade pie crust and then put the pie crust in the fridge. If you are making this pie crust recipe you will end up with one pie crust to use and one that you can then store in the freezer or use for another pie recipe.
- While the pie crust is cooling in the fridge put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and boil for 20 minutes or until they are soft. You will know they are doing boiling when you can stick a knife in them. Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and then allow them to cool a bit. Use a peeler and remove the sweet potato skins.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, butter, white sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, flour, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground clovers and ground ginger and mix well until everything is combined.
- Once the sweet potato pie filling is done remove the pie crust from the fridge. Place on a clean area with a sprinkle of flour. Roll the pie crust out so that is is large enough to fit in the pie plate.
- Place the pie crust into the pie plate and then Crimp edges of the pie crust using your knuckle and finger tips or use a fork to create a pattern around.
- Pour the sweet potato pie filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake pie for 50-55 minutes, the cook time will depend on your oven. Check the pie at the 20 minute mark to see how the flaky pie crust is baking, if the top is getting brown quickly, add aluminum foil around it to keep it from burning while the pie finishes baking. You can also use a pie shield to keep the crust from burning while it is baking.
- Remove the baked pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
How to make homemade pie crust
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- With the pastry cutter work the butter and flour mixture together until it looks like small pebbles.
- Add the water little by little and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls and press flat onto plastic wrap.
- Chill the dough for at lease an hour.