7 Layer dip is one of the best party appetizers. This 7 Layer Mexican Taco dip recipe has layers of refried beans, avocado, sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives, and green onions that combine for a dip everyone will love. This easy seven layer dip recipe will for sure be the hit of the party and it is super easy to make!
The BEST 7 Layer Mexican Taco Dip Recipe
If you are looking for an easy cold dip recipe to make for a party this 7 layer Mexican taco dip recipe is perfect. With layers of flavors that are made with fresh ingredients that when combined taste amazing this dip is perfect for any party or get-together.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it is super easy to make and the prep time is quick. You can put this whole 7-layer bean dip recipe together in under 15 minutes and have it in the fridge chilling while you get other things ready.
If there is something your family doesn’t like in this recipe you can totally skip it. This Mexican 7 layer taco dip recipe is easy to customize with the ingredients and flavors that you and your family enjoy.
- Cheddar Ranch Dip
- Avocado Dip
- S’Mores Dip
- Taco Dip
- French Onion Dip
- Roasted Eggplant dip
- Peanut butter cup dessert dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sriracha Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
What is 7 layer dip?
A 7-layer dip is a popular and flavorful Mexican-inspired appetizer that consists of seven distinct layers of ingredients stacked on top of each other.
What are the layers in 7 layer dip?
- Refried Beans: Often the base layer, providing a creamy and savory foundation.
- Avocado: Made from mashed avocados with added spices, this layer adds flavor and creamy texture.
- Sour Cream: Adds a tangy and cooling element to the dip, this layer is made by mixing sour cream with taco seasoning.
- Salsa: A layer of diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, and other seasonings for a fresh and zesty kick.
- Shredded Cheese: Usually a blend of Mexican cheeses or cheddar, melted to add a gooey and savory layer.
- Olives and tomatoes: Sliced black olives or green olives are commonly used, contributing a briny and salty flavor. For this layer we also add diced tomatoes.
- Green Onions: Sprinkled on top for a mild onion flavor and a pop of color.
What is the best type of Dish to Use for 7 Layer taco dip?
The best type of dish for making 7-layer dip is one that is shallow, wide, and has enough surface area to showcase each layer. A glass or transparent dish is often preferred because it allows guests to see the colorful layers, creating an appealing presentation. Here are some common options:
- Rectangular or Square Baking Dish: A dish with straight sides and a flat bottom, such as a 9×13-inch baking dish, works well. It provides enough space to layer each ingredient evenly.
- Trifle Dish: A trifle dish with a wide opening and a clear glass design can be an attractive choice for serving 7-layer dip. It allows guests to see the layers from the sides.
- Glass Pie Dish: A circular glass pie dish can be a simple and effective option, especially for smaller gatherings.
- Individual Cups or Bowls: For a more personalized or portable serving option, you can prepare mini 7-layer dips in individual cups or bowls.
What to dip in 7 layer dip
Seven-layer dip is typically served as a party or game day appetizer and is commonly enjoyed with tortilla chips. The sturdy and scoopable nature of tortilla chips makes them an excellent choice for dipping into the layers of the dip. You can use plain, multigrain, or flavored tortilla chips to complement the various flavors in the dip. If you are looking for other dipping options some that we use are:
- Vegetable Sticks: Carrot sticks, celery, bell pepper strips, or cucumber slices provide a fresh and crunchy alternative.
- Pita Chips: These thicker chips can offer a satisfying crunch and pair well with the creamy layers of the dip.
- Tortilla Wedges: Cut larger tortillas into wedges and bake or fry them for a homemade dipping option.
- Crackers: Some people enjoy 7-layer dip with sturdy crackers or even nacho-flavored chips.
Variations of this recipe
Guacamole instead of mashed avocados. When I make this I normally make homemade Guacamole instead of using mashed avocados, either one will work perfectly in this cold taco dip recipe.
Add cooked ground meat. If you want to add a layer of meat to this 7 layer taco dip recipe you can. You can use cooked ground beef, cooked ground turkey or cooked ground chicken seasoned with taco seasoning. If adding meat I suggest adding this layer after the refried beans.
Change up the salsa. You can use homemade or jarred salsa for this recipe and you can use any spice level. If you don’t want any spicy flavor or a light spice flavor use mild salsa or medium salsa. If you want it spicy use a hot salsa.
Add more veggies. We always add black olives and tomatoes on top of the cheese layer but you can also add some chopped or shredded lettuce on top as well.
Add more sour cream. You can add dollops of sour cream to the top of the dip if you want to.
Customize with your favorite taco ingredients. Feel free to customize the layers based on your preferences or the preferences of your guests. Add extra ingredients like jalapeños, diced red onions, or cilantro for added flavor.
Tips for Making this recipe
Even Layering: When assembling the dip, try to spread each layer evenly to ensure that each bite contains a balance of flavors.
Smooth the Layers: Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to smooth each layer, creating a visually pleasing and neat presentation.
Well-Drained Ingredients: For ingredients like salsa, tomatoes, and guacamole, make sure they are well-drained to prevent excess moisture that could make the dip soggy.
Fresh Ingredients: Use fresh and high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. Ripe avocados, flavorful salsa, and quality cheeses can significantly enhance the dip.
Serve Chilled: 7-layer dip is best served chilled, allowing the flavors to meld together. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How Long does 7 Layer dip Last in the fridge?
In general, a well-prepared 7-layer dip can last in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. However, it’s worth noting that the texture and freshness of individual layers, especially those containing avocados, may be compromised over time.
I find that it is best to enjoy this dip within 24 hours of making the dip.
How to Store 7 Layer Dip
Cover the 7-layer dip tightly with plastic wrap or an airtight container to minimize exposure to air
If you’ve prepared a large batch and have leftovers, it’s a good practice to store any remaining dip in smaller containers to maintain freshness and reduce the frequency of opening the main dish.
7 Layer Dip Mexican Taco Dip Ingredients
Refried Beans. If you are not a fan of beans, you can make this taco dip without beans, just skip putting them in and continue on with the rest of the taco dip layers.
Avocado. For this layer mashed avocados are mixed with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Sour Cream. This layer is mixed with the taco seasoning. I like to make my life easier sometimes and just add the taco seasoning into the sour cream container and mix it in that instead of making more dishes.
Taco Seasoning. The secret to this 7 layer dip recipe is the homemade taco seasoning! You could use a packet of taco seasoning but I am telling you, the homemade taco dip with homemade taco seasoning is sooo much better!
Salsa. Salsa is optional, but if using it, you can use homemade or jarred salsa.
Shredded cheddar cheese. If you do not have cheddar you can use other flavors of cheese. Mexican blend cheese and Taco cheese blend are my other favorites to use.
Vegetables. For the toppings, we use black olives, Tomatoes, and green onions.
How to Make the BEST Layered Dip
Spread the refried beans onto the serving platter.
In a mixing bowl add the avocado and mash, once mashed add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix well. If you are making homemade guacamole, you will want to make that now in place of the mashed avocado.
Spread the avocado mixture over the top of the beans. If you are using homemade guacamole instead of mashed avocados, then you will want to use that for this layer.
In another mixing bowl add the sour cream and taco seasoning, and stir the taco seasoning into the sour cream. Be sure to mix well to combine both together.
Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the avocado layer.
Spread the salsa on top of the sour cream layer.
Shred the cheddar cheese and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the sour cream layer.
Slice the black olives and sprinkle the olives over the top of the cheese layer.
Dice the tomatoes and sprinkle the tomatoes over the top of the olives layer.
Chop the scallions and then sprinkle the scallions over the top of the tomato layer.
Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Easy Appetizer Recipes
The Best 7 Layer Mexican Taco Dip Recipe
- Spread the refried beans onto the serving platter.
- In a mixing bowl add the avocado and mash, once mashed add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix well. If you are making homemade guacamole, you will want to make that now in place of the mashed avocado.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the top of the beans. If you are using homemade guacamole instead of mashed avocados, then you will want to use that for this layer.
- In another mixing bowl add the sour cream and taco seasoning, and stir the taco seasoning into the sour cream. Be sure to mix well to combine both together. Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the avocado layer.
- Spread the salsa on top of the sour cream layer.
- Shred the cheddar cheese and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the sour cream layer.
- Slice the black olives and sprinkle the olives over the top of the cheese layer.
- Dice the tomatoes and sprinkle the tomatoes over the top of the olives layer.
- Chop the scallions and then sprinkle the scallions over the top of the tomato layer.
- Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints on the Freestyle Program
To make your kitchen life easier make sure you grab the how many cups is 2 quarts and all other liquid measurements printable chart!