Scented Homemade Playdough. With a few pantry ingredients, you can make this easy homemade playdough recipe that smells amazing. This easy no-cook homemade playdough recipe is quick, easy, and customizable.
Scented Homemade Playdough
Scented playdough is so much fun to make and even more, fun to play with. It smells amazing and depending on the scent you are making you could totally make yourself hungry. While this playdough is made with all l totally edible ingredients I don’t suggest eating it as it is not very tasty.
What I love about making our own playdough is that the ingredients are kid safe and making the playdough is an activity the kids and I can do together. Then they get to play with it and have more fun.
Homemade Playdough Recipes
Scented Playdough Scent Ideas
- Pumpkin Spice
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla extract
- Raspberry Extract
- Peppermint extract
- Lemon extract
- Lime extract
- Orange extract
You can also use essential oils to scent your playdough, if doing so you will only need 1-2 drops for the scents you want per batch of playdough.
Tips for making homemade playdough
The great thing about making homemade playdough is that it is really hard to mess up. It is super forgiving when you are adding ingredients to it and the fixes for playdough that is to wet and playdough that is to dry are super easy.
If your playdough is dry from adding more spices to make the scent strong you may need to add a little bit more water.
If your playdough is too wet from using a lot of food coloring to make deeper and darker colors you may need to add more flour. This can also happen if you are using liquid scents.
How to Store homemade playdough
When you are done making and playing with the playdough store it in an air tight container or a zip close bag.
How long will this playdoh last?
It should last 2-3 weeks depending on how well it is stored, however, keep an eye out for mold growth because this is made with food items.
Play dough activity ideas
Aside from just playing with it, playdough is great for fun activities too. Here are a few of our fun playdough activities that the kids love.
- Snowman Playdough Activity
- Pumpkin People Play-Doh Halloween Activity
- Playdough flossing. This one is great for teaching the kids how to floss!
Scented Playdough Ingredients
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of tarter
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 drops Food Coloring (optional)
- tablespoon of each spice you want to make a “flavor” with or a teaspoon of the liquid scented oil or extract you are using.
How to Make scented playdough
*Note this recipe will make one batch of playdough. If you want different flavors then you will want to repeat the steps and ingredients for each “flavor”. You can double or triple this recipe when you are making it so you make it all at once and then split to add the colors if you are making it all the same scent.
In a large pot on the stove, boil the water. Once the water is boiled remove it from the stove.
In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer add all of the dry ingredients including the spices.
Mix all of the dry ingredients well.
Once mixed add in the vegetable oil, and if you are using a scented oil add that in now.
Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the boiling water and mix until the playdough has formed. If it is too sticky for your liking add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and keep mixing.
The homemade playdough is done once the dough is all mixed and pulling away from the sides of the bowl on the dough hook.
Once mixed separate into bowls and add the food coloring if using. Mix with your hands or a spoon. You can also put it back in the bowl and mix it if you want to.
Sensory Activities for Kids
- Pumpkin Pie Slime
- Edible Slime (made with starburst candy)
- Pudding slime
- Dish soap slime
- Glitter Slime
- Glow in the dark slime
- Butter Slime Recipe
- Floam Slime
- Hot Chocolate Slime
- In a large pot on the stove, boil the water. Once the water is boiled remove from the stove.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer add all of the dry ingredients including the spices.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients well using a paddle or dough hook.
- Once mixed add in the vegetable oil, food coloring if using and if you are using a scented oil add that in now.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the boiling water and mix until the playdough has formed. If it is to sticky for your liking add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and keep mixing.
- The homemade playdough is done once the dough is all mixed and pulling away from the sides of the bowl on the dough hook.