Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcake
Peanut butter blossoms are one of my favorite cookies to make. I love peanut butter cookies and I love them even more when you add chocolate. But, my kids love cupcakes and are always begging me to make some. I decided to compromise by combining the two into these Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcakes!
Yes that’s right…peanut butter blossoms AND cupcakes! That’s a guaranteed win all around!
The best part is, these are incredibly easy to make! I just took two recipes I already loved – peanut butter cookie buttercream frosting and homemade chocolate cupcakes – and combined them. The flavors worked out perfectly! (Plus I’ll use any excuse possible to whip up some peanut butter cookie frosting…it’s divine.)
The thick peanut butter buttercream frosting holds the shape of a cookie, with that perfect peanut butter cookie texture, right on top of the chocolate cupcake. Add a Hershey kiss and you have a peanut butter blossom ready to enjoy.
These disappeared quickly in my house so be prepared. Just looking at the pictures of these makes me want another one and a big glass of milk!
Tips for Making the Best Cupcakes
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
Tips for Frosting Homemade Cupcakes
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
How to Store Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
These peanut butter frosting cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. If you don’t anticipate eating them in that amount of time, or it’s pretty hot out, then storing them in the fridge is better. They’ll last in the fridge for up to a week.
Just note that cupcakes are usually best when eaten within 48 hours – after that, they can start to become a bit crumbly and dry. But they’ll still taste amazing for a few more days!
Can I Freeze Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing?
Yes, you can freeze both the chocolate cupcakes and the peanut butter cookie frosting. I do recommend freezing them separately, so that you can whip the peanut butter icing after it thaws for the fluffy texture.
Cupcakes will last in the freezer for two months. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, flash freeze on a baking sheet, then transfer to a ziploc bag. The peanut butter frosting will last for 3 months in an airtight container. After it thaws, I like to rewhip it until it’s fluffy again, before I add it to the cupcakes.
Allow both the cupcakes and the frosting to thaw completely, before you top the cupcake with the frosting.
Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcake Ingredients
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcakes
First follow the directions to make the Chocolate cupcakes, while they are baking make Peanut Butter Cookie Buttercream Frosting.
Allow the cupcakes to cool.
Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture and use clean, dry hands to form it into a patty.
Use the tines of a fork to make the classic crisscross pattern on top of the “cookie”. Repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture so you end up with 24 “cookies”.
Place the cookie frosting on top of the cupcake gently pressing down so it sticks.
Place the peanut butter cookie buttercream on top of the cupcake.
Top it off with a Hersey kiss in the middle of the buttercream
Looking for more cupcake recipes? Don’t miss these!
- Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Girl Scout Samoas Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter and Jelly cupcakes
- S’Mores cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Blossom Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Put paper liners in your cupcake pans or you can use silicone, which ever ones you prefer.
- Then, In a small bowl whisk together the hot brewed coffee and cocoa, until dissolved and set aside.
- Next, In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl place the butter and sugars. Beat on medium-higha speed of your mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the coffee-cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix each addition just until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter between the prepared liners, filling each about two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans briefly about 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookie Frosting
- Mix the butter and peanut butter in a bowl and then beat on medium-high for 1 minute.
- Turn off the mixer, add in the confectioners’ sugar and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.
How To Assemble Cupcakes
- Allow the cupcakes to cool
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture and use clean, dry hands to form it into a patty.
- Use the tines of a fork to make the classic crisscross pattern on top of the “cookie”. Repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture so you end up with 24 “cookies”.
- Place the cookie frosting on top of the cupcake gently pressing down so it sticks.