Snickerdoodle cookies are a soft and chewy cinnamon-sugar covered sugar cookie that is perfect for any cookie lover. This is the best snickerdoodle cookie recipe ever!
Snickerdoodles Cookies Recipe
I love baking cookies for Christmas, it gives me a reason to bake cookies more then normal. Not that I need an excuse to make cookies, because let’s be honest here I make them whenever the mood strikes, but I get less weird looks when I start making lots of cookies at Christmas time then I do other times during the year.
Looking for more Christmas Cookie Recipes? Check these out!
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Chocolate Crackle Cookies
- Meringue Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
What is a snickerdoodle cookie?
A snickerdoodle is a soft and chewy sugar cookie that is rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking.
They are not exactly a sugar cookie because of the cream of tarter (which is a MUST for snickerdoodle cookies) that prevents the cookies from forming sugar crystals like in your traditional sugar cookie recipe. Not having sugar crystals form means you end up with pillowy soft and fluffy cookies.
There are some variations of this amazing cinnamon sugar cookie recipe, if you are a fan of pumpkin then you have to try my pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies, they are AMAZING!
Tips for Making this Recipe
Perfect Bake time. When you are checking for the cookies to be done baking you want them to be light golden brown around the edges and look like they look they are almost done in the center. When you let them cool you will see that they are perfect and soft baking them this way.
Roll them in Cinnamon and Sugar. This is important, you want all side the cookie dough ball to be covered in cinnamon and sugar so you have the perfect flavors when you take a bite. Sometimes I like to give them an extra roll in the mixture.
Fluff the butter and sugar enough. You do not want to skimp on the mixing time for the butter and sugar. Having fluffy butter and sugar is important when making snickerdoodle cookies.
Can you freeze Snickerdoodle Cookie dough?
If you plan on freezing the snickerdoodle cookies to use at a later date follow the recipe except for the baking. Roll the cookies in the cinnamon sugar mixture and then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 3-4 hours to freeze the cookie dough. Remove the cookie dough balls from the baking sheet and store in a freezer safe plastic zip close bag. The snickerdoodle cookie dough will keep in the freezer for uptown 3 months.
To bake the frozen snickerdoodle cookie dough add an extra 2-3 minutes to the bake time.
Snickerdoodles Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (for rolling)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (for rolling)
How To Make Snickerdoodles Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and mix in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tarter. Slowly stir in the flour mixture into the butter mixture, stir until just combined.
Place your dough into the fridge for about 20 min.
When the dough is easy to handle, roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter, you can use a cookie scoop to help get all the cookies the same size.
In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
Roll them into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Place them on the sheet pan leaving a little room between the cookies. Press down on each cookie to help them spread if you like a thinner cookie.
Bake for 9-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cookie rack to cool.
Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Coconut Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Chocolate Chip cookies
- Banana chocolate chip cookies
Cookie Making Supplies
Want delicious cookies that come out perfect every time? Check out some of our favorite tools to make super easy cookies with fun decorations!
- In a medium/large mixing bowl, cream together butter, 1 cup sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer if you want to for this.
- In another bowl and mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Next add the milk and stir well.
- Once the dough is mixed well put the bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- When you remove the dough from the fridge, preheat the oven to 375.
- When dough is cooled, roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Once all the dough is rolled into balls, add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl and mix.
- Roll each ball of cookie dough in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and then remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place the cookies on a baking rack.