If you love the amazing combination of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers then you are going to love this S’mores Cake! This homemade cake has homemade graham cracker cake, homemade chocolate ganache, homemade marshmallow buttercream frosting, and homemade marshmallow fluff.
This s’mores cake is one of my favorite cakes I have ever made and come up with. Every single bite reminds me of my favorite summer treat, S’mores. With layers of homemade cake, marshmallow buttercream, and chocolate ganache this cake is one of the best homemade cakes I have ever made.
It was one of our friend’s 30th birthday and of course, I was in charge of making the cake. I was torn between making him an iron man cake or making a really fun flavored cake.
I deiced to go with the fun flavored cake because they are always having us over for a bonfire in their back yard. We all know that with a bonfire comes s’mores and they are awesome. This cake is the perfect summer cake that you can make year round any time you want a smore.
I wanted a cake that was rich in flavor and from the get-go I knew I wanted to have marshmallow fluff toasted on the outside of the cake. I knew I wanted layers of chocolate and marshmallow inside the cake as well. After a bit of planning, I came up with graham cracker cake layers, chocolate ganache, and marshmallow buttercream between the cake, and then marshmallow fluff toasted on the outside with a kitchen torch.
Tips for Making this Recipe
If you are wanting to take a few shortcuts you can, this will cut down on the time but will still leave you with an amazing cake.
Use store bought Marshmallow Fluff. If you do not want to make homemade fluff you can use store bought marshmallow fluff.
Use a boxed cake mix. If you do not want to make a homemade cake or you are short on time you can use a vanilla cake and add in some crushed up graham crackers into the cake mix.
Use chocolate buttercream. If you do not want to make chocolate ganache you can change it out for chocolate buttercream frosting.
Cool Cake Completely. It is important that the cakes are fully cooled before you start frosting them otherwise you will have issues with frosting as you frost the cake.
Make sure the bowl is dry. When you are making the frosting you will want to use a mixer and the bowl. It is important that you make sure the bowl is dry if you only have one mixer bowl and need to wash it in between making the 2 different frosting flavors.
When you are making the cake you are going to make 2 8inch round cakes. You will then cut them both in half making 4 layers of cake.
Prepping ahead of time
If you are wanting to prep things ahead of time you can. You can make the cakes and store them uncut in the fridge or freezer wrapped in plastic wrap. They will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
You can make the buttercream ahead of time as well and then rewhip when you are going to put the cake together.
You can make the chocolate ganache ahead of time as well and then store it is an whip it if needed when you go to set the cake up.
How to Store Cake
It is best to store cake in an airtight container on the counter. Cake is best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making. It won’t be bad to eat after 48 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
S’mores Cake Ingredients
How to Make S’Mores Cake
Allow the cake to cool completely. While the cake is cooling make the marshmallow buttercream, marshmallow fluff and chocolate Ganache.
Slice the cakes in half so you are left with four layers.
Place your first layer of cake on your cake board or plate. Spread half of the marshmallow buttercream on top of that layer of cake.
Top the buttercream layer with a layer of cake. Spread the ganache on top of that layer.
Top the ganache layer with a layer of cake. Spread the last half of the buttercream on that layer.
Top the buttercream with a layer of cake.
Spread the fluff all over the outside of the cake making sure its all even.
Hold your torch about an inch away from the fluff and carefully brown the outside.
Tasty Cake Recipes
Graham Cracker Cake Ingredients
- 6 oz Hershey chocolate
- 6 oz heavy cream
Marshmallow buttercream Ingredients
How to Make Graham Cracker Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease Two 8″ can pans and lightly flour the pans making sure to tap out any extra flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the speed down to medium and slowly incorporate the eggs one in at a time.
- With a rubber spatula scrap down the sides of the bowl and add in the vanilla.
- Alternate mixing the dry ingredients and the buttermilk into the batter until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Evenly divided the batter between the two cake pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean from the middle.
How to Make chocolate Ganache
- Chop up your chocolate into small pieces and place it in a heat safe bowl.
- In a small sauce pot bring the heavy cream just to a boil.
- Pour it over the bowl of chocolate.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the cream sit on the chocolate for a minute.
- Stir the ganache in small circles until the cream and the chocolate are fully combined.
How to Make Marshmallow Fluff
- In a medium sauce pan combine your water, sugar and corn syrup. Place your candy thermometer into the mixtures making sure it is not touching the bottom for your pan. Bring the mixture up to a boil over medium high heat.
- In the clean bowl of your mixer combine the egg whites and cream of tartar together with the whisk attachment.
- Once your sugar mixture reaches 225 degrees turn your mixer on high and whip your egg whites until they have formed soft peeks.
- Remove your sugar mixture from the heat when it reaches 240 degrees. Turn your mixer back on to medium speed and slowly stream the sugar into the egg whites.
- Turn your mixer up to high speed and let them fluff back up for about seven minutes.
- Whisk in your vanilla until well combined divide into 2 bowls. Half will be used to make the marshmallow buttercream and the other for the outside of the cake.
How to Make Marshmallow Buttercream
- Place your butter in the bowl of your mixer. Cream the butter until smooth.
- Slowly add in your sugar 1/2 cup at a time until its all incorporated.
- Add in the almond extract.
- Carefully fold the marshmallow fluff into the butter mixture until well incorporated.
How to Make S’Mores Cake
- Allow the cake to cool completely. While the cake is cooling make the marshmallow buttercream, marshmallow fluff and chocolate Ganache.
- Slice the cakes in half so you are left with four layers.
- Place your first layer of cake on your cake board or plate. Spread half of the marshmallow buttercream on top of that layer of cake.
- Top the buttercream layer with a layer of cake. Spread the ganache on top of that layer.
- Top the ganache layer with a layer of cake. Spread the last half of the buttercream on that layer.
- Top the buttercream with a layer of cake.
- Spread the fluff all over the outside of the cake making sure its all even.
- Hold your torch about an inch away from the fluff and carefully brown the outside.