Tacos are a staple for dinner in our house, but sometimes I want to change things up a bit. When the kids start whining about it being “taco night again” that is when I whip out these Taco Pockets! If you have a busy night that you need a quick dinner, these homemade taco pockets are super easy to make!
What is a Taco Pocket? You might be asking… well it is all of the taco goodness and cheese stuffed into a roll! Seriously tasty! Then the kids have fun dipping them into homemade guacamole, homemade salsa or restaurant style salsa. That part all depends on what I am in the mood to make. 😉
Sometimes the kids get fancy with their taco pockets, and want to add some lettuce and tomatoes and extra cheese. That is so easy to do, we just cut them open after they are done cooking and they stuff the tastiness inside!
Really it doesn’t matter if you call them Taco Pockets, Taco handpies, taco hot pockets, they are the same thing… a pocket of tasty taco goodness!
You can use homemade taco seasoning or a packet of pre-made taco seasoning, either one will work. We tend to use homemade taco seasoning in our taco pockets because I like the way it tastes better.
If you want spicy taco pockets, add some jalapenos into them before you bake them! If you want just a little spice you can add pickled jalapeños but if you want them to be very spicy you may use fresh jalapeños or habanero peppers.
I love to serve taco pockets along side of my Mexican rice recipe, it complements the meal perfectly!
These are super easy to make and makes 4 Taco Pockets, if you have a larger family then you will want to double or even triple the recipe.
How to Make Taco Pockets
Taco Pockets Recipe
- 1/2 pound hamburger meat
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 Pack Grands refrigerated Rolls 8 counts
- Shredded cheese Your choice, we prefer cheddar or Mexican blend
- 15 ounce Kidney beans canned & optional
- Brown the ground beef and add Taco Seasoning just like you would making taco meat, we also add a can of kidney beans to our meat when we make taco meat.
- Flatten the Grand Biscuits and put on a baking sheet
- Top with cheese(we use whatever we have on hand)
- Add taco meat mixture
- Top with another flattened Grands and pinch edges to close the pocket
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, ours took 17 minutes until they were golden brown like the biscuits would be.
- After they are cooked you can cut them in half and add lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream or whatever else you like to have on your taco to them or do like my kids did and dip them in sour cream and salsa.
7 SmartPoints per “Pocket” on Weight Watchers FreeStyle Plan
These taco pockets are a great kid-friendly meal that is easy to make and freezer for future meals. If you create a large batch, you can portion them and freezer for kids to pop into the microwave as an after-school snack. You might also want to make these as a great way to use leftover taco meat after taco night!
More Taco Recipes:
- Keto Chicken Salad Cheese Shell Tacos
- Skinny Chicken Taco Salad with Lime Chili Chicken
- Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Cheesy Chicken Doritos Taco Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here