When you want a healthy granola recipe, skip the store bought stuff and make your own. It is cheaper, healthier, and tastes way better than anything you can buy from the store. Use this crunchy treat for breakfast or a snack. This easy homemade granola recipe is made with simple ingredients and is perfect for eating alone or adding to yogurt for a healthy breakfast.
Healthy Granola Recipe
Homemade granola is a great way to start your day, and our recipe is packed with nutrients to help power you through the morning. You’ll love the taste of this granola recipe because it is so simple to customize it to exactly what you like about granola. It’s perfect for on-the-go snacking or as part of a balanced breakfast. And you can feel good about eating it because it’s good for you!
We have been a granola loving family forever. One of my kid’s favorite breakfasts is yogurt parfaits with fresh fruit, fresh berries, and granola. While the store bought granola tastes great it can be loaded with sugar I wanted to find a healthier option and decided to make my own.
This healthy homemade granola recipe is my kid’s favorite easy granola recipe because it is an easy versatile recipe and they can change things up to what we have on hand or what they want in their granola. If you are looking for another simple granola recipe make sure you check out my apple pie granola and pecan granola.
Once you start making your own granola at home you will never buy the store bought granola at your local grocery store again.
Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Cranberry Granola bars
- Peach Overnight Oats
- Maple Overnight oats
- Blueberry overnight oats
- Pecan Pie Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Why you’ll love it
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can make a large batch of homemade granola and it will last for up to 2 weeks.
- No refined sugar. This recipe uses honey as the sweetener. Honey, while still considered a sugar, is an all natural sugar that has additional health benefits.
- Whole grains. This healthy granola recipe is made using rolled oats, giving you a delicious whole grains base to add your flavors to. Since this recipe is made using whole grains, it is also packed with fiber.
- Better than Store Bought. This recipe lets you make your own healthy granola and customize it to the way you like it so it is so much better than store bought.
- Easy to make. This homemade healthy granola recipe
Is Granola Healthy?
The base of granola is healthy because it is made using rolled oats with fruit and nuts. When buying granola in the store the added sugar makes it unhealthy. While granola is high in fiber, because of some of the add ins, it can be high in calories too, which is why most granola has a small serving size.
Is Granola Gluten Free
You are not adding anything with gluten when you are making this healthy granola recipe. If you need to make sure that there is no gluten in the recipe because of health reasons, then you want to make sure that you are using a certified gluten free oatmeal.
Important Tips for Making Homemade Granola
Don’t let it burn. When you are making healthy granola it can go from almost done to burnt very fast. You need to watch it carefully to make sure not to burn it.
Use a large mixing bowl. I like to just mix everything on the baking sheet so I have fewer dishes but you can totally add all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and then add the wet ingredients into it, mix well and then pour onto a prepared baking sheet.
Allow homemade granola to cool. It is important to let the homemade granola cool completely before storing it.
How to Enjoy Granola
There are quite a few different ways that you can enjoy homemade granola.
- As a snack. Granola can be enjoyed on its own as a tasty snack on its own.
- With milk. Serve homemade granola in a bowl with milk like you do cereal.
- With yogurt. Any flavored yogurt, greek yogurt, or regular yogurt pairs well with granola. Just sprinkle it on top of the yogurt. If you have never made your own yogurt you totally should and our favorite is instant pot yogurt.
- Make a parfait. Layer fresh fruit, fresh berries, and yogurt in a bowl and then top with granola. You can also use it with a tasty Berry Smoothie Bowl.
Variations of this recipe
Add more seeds. You can add pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, or chia seeds.
Add chocolate chips. If you want a little bit more sweet you can add chocolate chips after it has cooled. You can also add peanut butter chips if you want to.
Change up the nuts. I like to use walnut and pecans, but you can use any nuts that you like. Almonds and pecans are great options.
How to Store
Place the cooled granola in an airtight container or freezer bag. Keep it at room temperature in a cool dry location. It will last for up to 6 weeks. I personally like to use a mason jar to store ours as it makes for easy serving and use, especially on busy mornings.
Can Healthy Granola be Frozen
Freeze granola for up to 3 months. Place the cooled granola in an airtight container or freezer bag. Next, remove all of the air from the freezer bag or place a piece of plastic wrap on the granola and press it down. This prevents exposure to air and reduces the risk of freezer burn.
Butter, Olive Oil, coconut oil, and honey. These are used to make the oats get nice and toasted when they are baking in the oven. The honey also provides a bit of sweetness.
Spices. You will need Sea salt and cinnamon.
Nuts. I prefer to use chopped walnuts and chopped pecans.
Seeds. In this recipe we use pumpkin seeds and pepitas but you can also add in other seeds.
Old fashioned oats. It is important to use old fashioned oats and not instant oats.
Coconut. I used unsweetened flaked coconut but if you want a little more sweet you can use sweetened coconut.
How to Make Healthy Granola
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
In a microwave safe bowl, mix together butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and honey. Melt in the microwave, checking every 30 seconds until melted, and then mix well.
Next, pour the oats in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
Add the nuts, seeds, and coconut flakes and gently mix together.
Drizzle the melted butter mixture over the top and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sea salt.
Then, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until all coated evenly.
Spread so granola is in an even layer.
Bake in the oven for a total of 2 hours, mixing every 20 minutes.
Let cool, and enjoy!
Healthy Granola Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and honey. Melt in the microwave, checking every 30 seconds until combined.
- Using a large roasting pan, put oats down, and select nuts, seeds, and coconut flakes. Mix together.
- Drizzle butter mixture over the top and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sea salt.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until all coated evenly.
- Bake in the oven for a total of 2 hours, mixing every 20 minutes.
- Let cool, and enjoy!