Looking for the most delicious homemade chocolate cake recipe? You are in luck! This homemade chocolate cake is chocolate cake perfection! This best chocolate cake recipe it is super easy to make and results in the perfect from scratch chocolate cake recipe every time.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Cake
If you are looking for an awesome Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe then this is it! The best Chocolate Cake recipe is a perfect rich chocolate cake recipe is one that I think everyone needs to have in their recipe collection. A chocolate cake that will wow everyone anytime you make it but is simple enough that you can make it anytime you want to. This easy from scratch chocolate cake recipe is the only one I make and I have made it for years and gotten compliments every single time.
This from scratch chocolate cake recipe is perfectly moist, perfectly fudgy and is seriously the best chocolate cake recipe ever. I love making homemade cakes because they are always so much better then anything you get in the store. But I also know baking from scratch can be a scary thought, so I made this cake recipe to be perfect for everyone. This easy chocolate cake recipe is perfect for everyone from the beginning baker to the experienced.
What Frosting goes well with Chocolate cake?
There are lots of frosting recipes that pair well with chocolate cake. When I make this chocolate cake my go to frosting recipes are Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting or chocolate buttercream frosting. I am a big fan of double chocolate cakes. When I updated the photos for this chocolate cake I used the Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting, which is thinner frosting. If you are wanting thick frosting layers then you will want to go with the chocolate buttercream.
If double chocolate cake is not your preferred way to enjoy chocolate cake there are lots of tasty frosting recipes that pair perfectly with this homemade chocolate cake recipe that makes for tasty chocolate cake combinations. Check out some of my favorite frosting recipes that I love using when I make chocolate cake and want to change things up.
- Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Caramel Icing
- Strawberry Buttercream
- Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- Peanut butter Buttercream
- Mint Buttercream
- Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- Almond Buttercream Frosting
What size cake does this recipe make?
You can use this cake recipe to make sheet pan chocolate cake and bake it in a 9×13 baking dish.
You can make a double layer chocolate cake by baking this recipe in two 8 inch round cake pans.
You can use this recipe to make cupcakes, fill the paper liners until 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tips for Making this Recipe
When making this homemade chocolate cake recipe there are some tips that will make your cake come out the best.
- Measure Ingredients Accurately. Accurate measurements are crucial in baking. Use proper measuring cups and spoons for dry and wet ingredients, and level off dry ingredients like flour and sugar with a flat edge.
- Room Temperature Ingredients. Bring eggs, butter, and milk to room temperature before using them in your recipe. Room temperature ingredients mix more easily and evenly.
- Grease the pan well. Grease the baking pans well or line with parchment paper. This is important in making sure the cake does not stick to the pan when baking and makes it easier to remove when done baking.
- Cool Cake Completely. It is important that the cake is fully cooled before you start frosting them otherwise you will have issues with frosting as you frost the cake.
- Don’t Over Mix. You do not want to over mix the ingredients.
- Preheat the Oven. Always preheat your oven to the specified temperature before placing the cake inside. This ensures even baking.
- Cool Cakes Properly. Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 10-15 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Tips for Frosting A Cake
Cool Cake. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Start with a Level Cake: Ensure your cake layers are level before frosting. Trim any domed tops with a serrated knife to create an even surface.
Add the Crumb Coat First. Apply a thin layer of frosting called a “crumb coat” to seal in any cake crumbs. This helps create a smooth and clean base for your final layer of frosting. Chill the cake briefly (about 15-20 minutes) after the crumb coat to set it.
Use an Offset Spatula. An offset spatula is a versatile tool for frosting. Use it to spread and smooth the frosting evenly on the cake’s surface.
Start from the Center. Begin frosting from the center of the cake and work your way out to the edges. This helps prevent crumbs from getting mixed into the final layer.
Apply a Generous Amount. Be generous with your frosting, especially between layers. It’s better to have slightly more than you need than too little. You can always scrape off excess frosting.
Smooth the Top and Sides. To achieve a smooth finish, use your offset spatula to evenly spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Hold the spatula at a slight angle and rotate the cake on a turntable for better control.
Use a Bench Scraper or Cake Comb. For super-smooth sides, use a bench scraper or cake comb. Hold the tool at an angle against the side of the cake and gently rotate the cake while scraping away excess frosting. This creates a clean, professional look.
How to Store Homemade Cake
It is best to store the homemade cake in an airtight container on the counter. The cake is best to be enjoyed within 48 hours of making. It won’t be bad to eat after 48 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
How to Freeze Homemade Cake
You can make this chocolate cake and freeze it to use later. You will want to freeze the cake without any frosting. Wrap the cake layers individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then the cake is solid store in a zip-close freezer bag. It will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To use, just defrost the cake in the fridge and then decorate as desired when thawed.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- Cups Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Whole Milk
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla extract
- Boiling Water
How to Make From Scratch Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients together until fully incorporated.
Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water. The batter may be a little runny that is ok.
Pour batter into a 9×13 pan or 2 8 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes if using a baking dish.
Remove from the oven allowing to cool for 10 minutes.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the baking dish or use parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- The batter may be a little runny.
- Pour batter into a 9×13 pan or 2 8 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes if using a baking dish.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints on the Freestyle Program.