Be prepared to fall in love with this amazing homemade buttercream frosting recipe. The combination of chocolate buttercream with fresh raspberries is perfect in this Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Frosting recipe. This buttercream frosting recipe is made with simple ingredients including real raspberries and is the perfect combination of chocolate and raspberries for cakes and cupcakes.
Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
My two favorite flavor combos when it comes to cakes and frosting are chocolate and raspberry. Normally I make a chocolate cupcake or chocolate cake and then top it with my raspberry buttercream recipe. This time when I was making raspberry chocolate cupcakes and i wanted more chocolate so I thought why not have a buttercream recipe that has both real raspberry flavor and a rich chocolate flavor all in one.
I set out to create a frosting recipe with a vibrant raspberry flavor paired with a rich chocolate flavor all in one and boy did I come up with a frosting recipe that I think will win everyone over. The outcome is this amazing raspberry chocolate buttercream frosting recipe, that I may have eaten a bunch of with just a spoon because it tastes that good!
The secret to this chocolate raspberry frosting recipe is using a combination of raspberry jam and fresh raspberries. If you use one or the other it will not have the raspberry flavor since chocolate on its own has a such powerful flavor.
This raspberry chocolate buttercream frosting recipe is perfect for a cake filling or frosting cake and you get gorgeous cupcakes when you pipe it on top of cupcakes.
Bakery Style Buttercream Frosting
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Caramel Icing
- Strawberry Buttercream
- Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- Peanut butter Buttercream
- Mint Buttercream
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- Almond Buttercream Frosting
- Keto Cream Cheese Frosting
What can I use this Frosting for?
This frosting works well for frosting cakes and cupcakes, You can also use it between cake layers when you are making a layer cake.
What Cake Flavor to use with Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream?
There are lots of cake flavors that go well with making cupcakes or cake with this chocolate raspberry buttercream, however, I normally use my chocolate cupcakes or my vanilla cupcake recipe to pair with this frosting recipe. This frosting will also work to make a Rasberry chocolate cake using my chocolate cake recipe, or rainbow cake recipe or you can use my vanilla cake recipe if you want a vanilla cake.
If you are wanting an amazing cupcake to go with this chocolate raspberry buttercream, then you totally want to make these chocolate raspberry cupcakes that combine my chocolate cupcake recipe with this raspberry buttercream recipe for the best cupcakes ever.
- Blackberry cupcakes
- Andes Mint Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
Can I use this frosting as a filling?
Yes! If you are wanting to fill cupcakes with this frosting you can, just allow the cupcakes to cool then use a cupcake corer to remove the inside of the cupcake and fill them before frosting the cupcakes.
Do I need Fresh raspberries or Frozen Raspberries?
Most of the times when I am baking or making frosting I stick with fresh fruits and fresh ingredients as much as possible. If you have been around for a while then you will remember that my strawberry cupcakes, Strawberry Buttercream Frosting, blueberry cupcakes, and blackberry buttercream are all made with fresh fruits.
For this buttercream recipe, I know that in the off-season raspberries can be quite expensive, so I have made this one compatible with fresh or frozen raspberries. Personally, though, I try to always stick with fresh raspberries. I like the flavor better but I know that in the off season things can make things more costly. If you use frozen raspberries, they will still give you an amazing buttercream, but you need to make sure they are fully thawed out before using them.
Do I need to use a stand mixer?
You can use a large bowl and an electric mixer to make this frosting however I much prefer to use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment as it saves time and is easier.
How to Store Buttercream frosting
The buttercream can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. After being stored you will want to re-whip it so it is nice and fluffy again before using it.
How to re-whip buttercream frosting after storing
When you bring it out of the refrigerator let it sit at room temperature for two hours. Then re-whip it for ten minutes to bring it back to life.
Can you Freeze Buttercream Frosting?
You can freeze chocolate buttercream frosting for up to 3 months.
How long can buttercream frosting sit out?
I store my buttercream in the fridge and then rewhip it when I want to use it. If you have already frosted a cake or cupcakes this buttercream frosting can sit out for up to 3 days.
How many days in advance can I make Buttercream frosting?
You can make this buttercream frosting 3 days in advance of when you want to use it and store it at room temperature. You can make this buttercream frosting up to 2 weeks ahead of time if you are going to store it in the fridge.
Tips for Decorating Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
If you are going to be using this homemade frosting to decorate cupcakes there are lots of easy ways that you can make your cupcakes look just like the ones you get at a bakery.
- If you have always wanted to make an icing swirl so you have pretty cupcakes, check out this step by step guide on how to make an icing swirl. It really changes the look of your cupcakes!
- If you are using different flavored frostings and want them both on top of your cupcake swirled together, check out how to swirl two icing flavors. If you want to layer your frosting flavors, check out the layered frosting swirl!
- If you are going to use this frosting to frost a cake, you can frost it, however, you would like. This frosting also makes a great filling for cakes as well.
- Use a piping bag. If you are frosting cupcakes the best way to do so is using a piping bag and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- butter, at room temperature
- powdered sugar
- cocoa powder
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla extract
- raspberry jam or raspberry preserves
- fresh raspberries
How to Make Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
In the bowl of a stand mixer add the butter and beat until nice and creamy on medium speed.
Once creamy and fluffy turn the mixer speed to the low speed setting and slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
Turn the mixer speed off. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to move the frosting to the bottom of the bowl.
Once powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated add the heavy cream, vanilla, salt, raspberry jam, and fresh raspberries.
Turn the mixer onto medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
Raspberry Dessert Recipes
- Raspberry Almond bundt cake
- Lemon Raspberry cupcakes
- Chocolate raspberry bites
- Raspberry thumbprint cookies
- Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes
Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- In the bowl of your mixer beat the butter on medium speed until nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the butter.
- Once you have added all the sugar to the mix add the heavy cream, vanilla, salt, raspberry jam and the raspberries. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
11 Weight Watchers SmartPoints int he Freestyle Program