These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes taste just like a Chocolate Covered Strawberry! Made with homemade Strawberry cake mix and amazing chocolate frosting. Finished off with a delicious chocolate covered strawberry!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
All of my friends tease that my daughter is just too fancy for words. She’s the type a girl who has to have her hair done and her nails done. Now by the sound of that, you might think she’s a typical teenager but in reality, she’s four going on fourteen. She’ll even go out in her Christmas dress in the middle of summer.
The joke is on me because I always said I wanted to have a girly girl just like me. I had no clue what I was getting myself into. So when it was time for her to pick out what cupcake she want to make it, of course, had to be fancy and it had to be pink.
I knew just basic strawberry cupcake was not going to be fancy enough for my little girl. So then it dawned on me that I can make a chocolate covered strawberry cupcake.
Easy Cupcake Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Andes Mints cupcakes
Variations of this Cupcake Recipe
Now for these cupcakes, I used my homemade strawberry cupcakes. You have the option of adding some red food coloring to the batter to make them pinker than just the strawberry puree makes them. To me, they were pink enough but to my daughter, they should’ve been a more vibrant shade of pink.
Tips for Baking Cupcakes
Follow the recipe. Each cupcake recipe is different. It is important to follow the recipe as directed. all of our cupcake recipes have been tested multiple times to make sure they are perfect.
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Before frosting the cupcakes let them cool completely. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your angel food cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat. You want to mix everything just until mixed, over mixing will cause you to have rough and tough cupcakes. We all know that the best cupcake are light and fluffy.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
Use quality cupcake liners. While you might not think it matters a cupcake liner but having a quality cupcake liner will make it so your cupcakes don’t stick to the wrapper and peel off nicely so you can see the perfect cupcake in it.
Bake one tray at a time. Using the center of the oven rack and bake one tray of cupcakes at a time. This will give you the best cupcake results.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Properly fill the piping bag with frosting. If you have never filled a pastry bag with frosting check out how to fill a pastry bag with frosting. When applying the buttercream you really want to make sure you are using a large star piping tip. This is what really helps transform your cupcake into something more like what you would find at a bakery.
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
After frosting cupcakes you are ok to store them on the counter for a day or 2 but after that they should be stored in the fridge.
If you are storing them unfrosted you can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag. If you are storing them with frosting on top I suggest using a cupcake storage container.
How to Freeze Homemade Cupcakes
You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes Supplies
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
Bake the strawberry cupcakes and allow to cool.
While the cupcakes are cooling,mMake chocolate butttercream frosting.
Make the chocolate covered strawberries. You can use white chocolate chocolate covered, dark chocolate covered strawberries or milk chocolate covered strawberries.
Swirl the buttercream onto each chocolate cupcake by starting in the middle then swirling the tip around the whole top cupcake.
Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered strawberry.
Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- Easy Strawberry Fudge
- Strawberry Meringue cookies
- White Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry dessert Salsa
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Silicone baking mat
- Pastry bag
- large star tip
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 cup dark or milk chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shorting
- 24 small strawberries
- chocolate buttercream
- 24 strawberry cupcakes
Strawberry Cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Strawberry Cupcakes with fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove stems from strawberries and place in a food processor. Pulse until the strawberries are pureed.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of the strawberry puree and pour in a bowl.
- In another bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer add the self rising flour, cake flour and sugar.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon size pieces add in one piece of butter mixing on low speed until the butter is combined and it is the texture of sand.
- Pour half of the milk into the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula push down the bater and add the remaining milk, strawberry poured and vanilla and mix on low until combined.
- Add in each egg one at a time while mixing on low until all eggs are mixed in.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake liners in a cupcake pan filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then rotate the cupcake pan.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
How to Make Chocolate buttercream
- Place your butter in the bowl of your mixer. Mix on medium speed until the butter is nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the butter.
- Once you have added all the powdered sugar in to your mixture, add in the vanilla extract, heavy cream and salt.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make your chocolate covered Strawberries. Wash and dry the strawberries.
- Melt your chocolate and shortening over your double boiler until almost all the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir until the chocolate is smooth.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Dip each strawberry into the chocolate and place onto the sheet pan. Place the strawberries into the fridge to set.
How to Assemble Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- If you are using a disposable pastry bag start off by cutting the tip off you bag wide enough to fit your piping tip in the hole.
- Place your piping tip into your pastry bag.
- Fill the pastry bag with your chocolate buttercream, making sure you do not overfill the bag.
- Swirl the buttercream onto each chocolate cupcake by starting in the middle then swirling the tip around the whole top cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered strawberry.
17 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving on the Freestyle Program