Chocolate dipped Strawberry Meringue Cookies are the perfect light and airy cookie dipped in chocolate giving you the perfect chocolate strawberry flavor in an amazing cookie. These airy meringue cookies have the perfect strawberry flavor and then are dipped in chocolate for the best chocolate covered strawberry meringue cookie ever.
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Meringue Cookies Recipe
Strawberry meringue cookies are one of my favorite cookies to make, changing them up by dipping them in sweet chocolate makes them even better. I like to make these easy strawberry meringue cookies dipped in chocolate for a special Valentine’s Day treat they are a delicious dessert that is perfect for enjoying after a special Valentine’s Day dinner.
If you are looking for that perfect meringue cookie then you are going to love this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Meringue Cookies Recipe! It is one of my favorites! Plus they are so much easier to make than you would imagine. If you have been afraid of making meringue cookies don’t be! Meringue cookies are easy to make once you know how to make them.
Meringue Cookie Recipes
- Peppermint Meringue Cookies
- Peppermint Candy Cane Meringue Cookies
- Vanilla Meringue Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Forgotten Cookies
Tips for Making Meringue Cookies
Do NOT open the oven while baking. I know it is tempting to open oven door when cookies are baking to check on them. When making meringue cookies it is important that you leave the oven closed after you put the cookies in while they bake.
Do not let the bowl touch the water. When you are making meringue cookies you are going be use a pot of simmering water and place your mixer bowl on top of it so the heat from the water heats the egg whites, sugar, and tartar but it is very important that the water does not touch the bowl you are mixing everything in does not touch the water.
Line the baking sheets. I know sometimes when I am making cookies I try to avoid this step only because I am being lazy, however, this is one cookie recipe where you need to line to the cookie sheet with either a silicone mats or parchment paper.
Use a piping bag. It makes things much easier to use a piping bag when you are shaping the meringue cookies. You can shape them into hearts or any other shape that you want them to be.
Do I need to use an electric mixer?
When making strawberry meringues you do need to use an electric mixer. You can use a stand mixer or you can use a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer.
How to Pipe Meringue Cookies
You will need a pastry bag and an Open Star Piping Tip. Holding your pastry bag about a quarter inch off the sheet pan, press out the meringue cookie mixture out of the bag onto the baking sheet.
How Many Cookies does this recipe make?
Depending on the size you make the cookies it will make between 20-50 strawberry meringue cookies.
Why did my Meringue Cookies Crack?
If you find that your meringue cookies have cracked it is because they were cooled to quickly. Leave the meringue cookies in the oven after they are done baking with the oven turned off to slow the cooling process and this will stop the cookies from cracking.
How do you know when Meringue Cookies are done?
Meringue cookies are cooked on low heat for a long period of time. You know they are done when you can easily remove them from the baking sheet. You want to make sure they do not get brown and look like they have been baked at all, which is why you will cook them on a low heat for a long period of time.
How to Store Chocolate Covered Meringue Cookies?
Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture. It is VERY important that you allow the cookies to cool completely before storing them.
If it is summer time, or your house is kept at a warm temperature it is best to store them in the fridge.
How Long do Chocolate Covered Meringue Cookies Last?
When stored in an air tight container, away from heat these chocolate covered meringue cookies will last for 2 weeks. They will keep in the freezer for up to one month.
How to Freeze Meringue Cookies
If you are not going to be eating the cookies right away one thing you can do is freeze meringue cookies. It is important that you carefully defrost them, as they will get softened if you are not careful and they get any moisture.
After the meringue cookies are completely cooled from being in the oven, put them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge for a few hours.
After they have been in the fridge for a few hours bringing down the temperature, even more, move the container of cookies from the fridge to the freezer.
I find it best to use a shallow plastic container, place a layer of meringue cookies and then place a piece of parchment paper on top of the layer of cookies and then another layer of cookies. You do not want to cram the cookies into the container, you want them to not get squished in the container.
Meringue cookies will keep in the freezer for up to one month when stored properly.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Meringue Cookies Ingredients
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 – 3 ounces package of strawberry Jell-O
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of tarter
- 2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips or dark chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Meringue Cookies
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water and heat to a simmer on the stove. When the water is at a simmer, put a glass bowl on top of it, make sure the bowl does not touch the water.
Combine the sugar, egg whites, and tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer over simmering water – making sure your bowl is not touching the water. Constantly whisk the egg whites until the sugar has dissolved.
Attach the whisk attachment on the stand mixer, remove the bowl from the steaming water, and place it on the stand mixer. Turn the mixer to low speed and beat the egg and sugar mixture (You can also use a handheld mixer and the bowl if you do not have a stand mixer) slowly beat the egg mixture.
Pour the Jell-O powder into the bowl in a slow, steady stream. Add in vanilla extract.
Slowly increase the speed and continue to beat the mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed. The mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peaks form when removed.
Transfer meringue mixture to a pastry bag fitted with an open star tip. Pipe the cookies onto the lined baking sheets.
Bake for 1 ½ hour, then turn off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven.
In a microwave heated bowl, melt chocolate chips on high. Stirring chocolate in 30 second intervals until chocolate chips are just melted. Pour some of the chocolate onto a small plate. Dip the bottom of the meringue cookies into the chocolate. You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate if you prefer.
Place them back onto the sheet pan and let the chocolate set for an hour.
Looking for more Chocolate Covered recipes? Check these out!
- Chocolate dipped shortbread cookies Ice cream sandwiches
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
- White Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Football Chocolate covered Strawberries
- Easy Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of tarter
- 2 cups milk Chocolate Chips
- Line to bake sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees F.
- Combine the sugar, egg whites and tartar in the bowl from your mixer over (making sure your bowl is not touching the water) simmering water. Constantly whisk the egg whites until the sugar has dissolved.
- Attach the whisk attachment on a stand mixer or a hand held mixture, slowly beat egg mixture. Pour the Jell-O, and strawberry mixture into the bowl in a slow, steady stream. Add in vanilla extract and any food coloring .
- Slowly increase the speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed. Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a open star tip. Pipe the cookies onto the lined baking sheets. Bake for 1 ½ hours, then turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven.
- In a microwave heated bowl, melt chocolate chips on high. Stirring chocolate in 30 second interval until chocolate chips are just melted. Pour some of the chocolate onto a small plate. Dip the bottom of the meringue cookies into the chocolate.
- Place them back onto the sheet pan and let the chocolate set for an hour. Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture.
More Recipes you will love!
Do yourself a favor and print out the How Many Pints in a Quart? and other liquid measurements printable to help you with your measurements in the kitchen! I have mine hanging on my fridge. It makes a super easy cheat sheet for whenever I am cooking and need to use liquid measurements.
Comments & Reviews
Do you add the dry jello to the sugar and egg whites?