This simple step by step for How to Melt Chocolate in a Double Boiler will be the best way you learn to melt chocolate. Melting chocolate with a double boiler is a much better way to melt chocolate then using the microwave.
Melting Chocolate in a Double Boiler
The art of melt chocolate can be a tricky thing if you don’t know what you are doing. The last thing you would want to do is throw it into a pan and just put that on the stove. Chocolate can burn very easily.
If you have ever melted chocolate in the microwave or in a sauce pan you know how quickly the chocolate can become a mess. Heating chocolate to quickly not only causes a mess, but it also makes the chocolate useless. When you are using a double boiler to melt chocolate you will avoid ruining the chocolate and it is so much easier then using a sauce pan or a microwave.
Using a double boiler to melt chocolate is perfect for whenever you are making chocolate covered treats, you will get a much better melted chocolate by using a double boiler then when you melt chocolate in the microwave.
Looking for Chocolate Covered treats? Check these out!
- Strawberry Cream Chocolates
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry cupcakes
- How to make chocolate covered cherries
- Chocolate covered meringue cookies
- Frozen Chocolate covered Bananas
- Chocolate covered Oreo cookies
What is a double boiler?
A double boiler is a bowl on top of a pot with water in it. It creates a seal and the steam gets trapped underneath to heat the bowl gently. This makes the bowl heat up and melts chocolate that you put in the bowl.
You can buy a double boiler set in the store but it is super easy to make one at home with items you already have on hand in your kitchen.
Tips for Melting Chocolate
Never let the water in the metal pot touch the bottom of the bowl you are melting the chocolate in.
Make sure no water gets in the bowl with the chocolate, this will cause your chocolate to cease up.
Only use medium heat. It may be tempting to turn the heat up to speed things up, but you want to make sure you only keep the stove top heat at medium heat.
Make sure the bowl you use fits snug on top of the pot. You do not want water to escape or the steam from the water to escape. You also do not want the bowl to fall into the pot.
How do you Make a Double Boiler
You can buy a double boiler but it is just easy to make your own. You will need a metal cooking pot and a ceramic, metal, or glass bowl. You want to make the bowl fits right on top of the pot so it creates a seal.
How To Melt Chocolate In A Double Boiler
Add water to the pot. You only want to add a few inches of water, you never want the water to touch the bottom of the bowl.
Heat the water over medium heat. Once the water comes to a boil place your bowl with chocolate on top.
Melt the chocolate. Use a rubber spatula to keep scraping down the boil so the chocolate on the side of the bowl will not burn.
Remove chocolate from the heat. Once the chocolate is melted remove the bowl from the heat.
- metal cooking pot
- ceramic, metal, or glass bowl
- Add water to the pot. You only want to add a few inches of water, you never want the water to touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat the water over medium heat. Once the water comes to a boil place your bowl with chocolate on top.
- Melt the chocolate. Use a rubber spatula to keep scraping down the boil so the chocolate on the side of the bowl will not burn.
- Once the chocolate is melted remove the bowl from the heat.
Check out these other awesome baking tips and tricks!
Do yourself a favor and print out the How Many Pints in a Quart? and other liquid measurements printable to help you with your measurements in the kitchen! I have mine hanging on my fridge and it makes a super easy cheat sheet for whenever I am cooking and need to use liquid measurements.
- How to create an icing Swirl
- How to make a pie crust
- How to make a pie crust with a food processor
- How to Melt Chocolate in a double boiler
- How to Make Fruits and Veggies last longer
- How to Freeze Green beans
- How to Freeze Strawberries
- How to Freeze Blueberries
- How to Make Bavarian Cream
- How to Make Cake pops
- How to Fill a pastry bag